Four Months of Disney Dining! Final Updates 5/18

I love reading your ongoing dining reviews! They give me so many ideas for our upcoming trip. Thanks for taking time to give us updates! :thumbsup2

Happy Landings Ice Cream (Typhoon Lagoon) 4/17
After a boring lunch at Leaning Palms (chicken nuggets and fries) I decided to get the Sand Pail sundae for all of us to share. I had been eying it for two years, but never had anyone to share it with, so today seemed like a good day to give it a whirl. This is the description from allears: Chocolate and vanilla soft-serve ice cream, waffle cone pieces, cookie pieces, sprinkles, hot fudge, caramel, strawberry sauce, whipped cream, nuts, and a cherry; layered into a sand pail to be scooped out by a shovel $9.99.
561772_3788375190393_1307481185_3618043_1219002155_n.jpg

I liked this much better than the Kitchen Sink. All the ingredients went together very well, where as the Kitchen Sink is six or so random flavors of ice cream and a bunch of toppings that don't mix. Between the six of us, we polished off the Sand Pail in no time.

Catalina Eddie's/Tune In Lounge 4/17
After stopping at the Tune In Lounge for a Strawberry Daquiri, I decided I wanted some pizza, so my friend and I went to Catalina Eddie's. I ordered a pepperoni pizza and a chocolate fudge cake, and she ordered the same thing. Mine was ready first so I went to find a table, and hers took quite a while to come out-apparently I had gotten the last pizza of the batch and she got the first of the new one.
DSCN0691.JPG

DSCN0692.JPG

The pizza was nothing special and I didn't particularly like it. The fudge cake was good but very rich. The seating in this area is very odd; they only seem to have large tables, so a family of five asked if the could share our table. I said yes, and it was nice to talk to them, but since most people are wary of sitting with strangers, I wish they would offer smaller tables.

Chef Mickey's Breakfast 4/19
My friend had made the ADR for here and after Disney changed it on her several times due to overbooking, we finally were able to secure a 7:05am ADR. We had called ahead to ask if they would hold our reservation because the monorail doesn't start running until 7am, and they said yes. We finally arrived around 7:25 after sitting on the monorail beam multiple times waiting for traffic clearance.

There was no problem when my friend told them there were seven of us instead of six, and we posed for the group photo. It came out cute, and we purchased it, because with our CM discount and split seven ways, it came about to about $3.50/person.

Our table was for 10 in the back room, with a beautiful view of the Grand Floridian, Main Street Train Station, and if you went right up to the window, Cinderella Castle and Astro Orbitor.
DSCN0812.JPG

To start off, I got a slice of Minnie's Breakfast Pizza and some strawberries and bananas, cottage cheese, and watermelon.
DSCN0793.JPG

DSCN0794.JPG

All of these items were delicious. Before I could go up for another plate, Goofy came by!
DSCN0795.JPG

My next plate consisted of a Croissant, Hash Brown Casserole, Bacon and a Cinnamon Bun.
DSCN0796.JPG

Hash brown casserole was pretty good, but I didn't care for the onions in it; croissant was light and fluffy, cinnamon roll and bacon were just okay.

More characters were coming by!
DSCN0797.JPG

DSCN0799.JPG

DSCN0803.JPG

DSCN0805.JPG

Minnie was a little weird. The characters were good about taking individual and group shots, but we took the group shot with Minnie first, and before we could even say we wanted individual pictures, she waved and ran to the next table.

My final plate of the day consisted of Mickey Waffles and an English Muffin.
DSCN0806.JPG

Mickey waffles were delicious. The only thing I didn't like was the the English muffin. It looked pre-buttered, but the butter had dried up, and the muffin was cold and slightly stale. I wish I would have known there were other pastries over by the cereal, but because we weren't seated over there I didn't realize that.

Pluto was the last character and he was really fun. We asked for a group picture and he thought we wanted him to take it!
DSCN0809.JPG

The server was iffy about keeping our drinks filled. He brought some of us refills without being asked, but other times some glasses would sit empty for a long while before we could ask him for refills.

The buffet wasn't too expensive, with our 20% CM discount and the 18% gratuity included, came out to about $30/person.

The character interaction was very good, the food was much better than I was expecting, and it was a great experience-I loved waving my napkin and singing along!

AMC Fork & Screen 4/22
On Sunday my friend Michelle and I went to the AMC theater at Downtown Disney to see The Lucky One. The movie itself was decent, but predictable. Really though, we pretty much knew what was going to happen, we just wanted to stare at Zac Efron for two hours. :rolleyes1

The food was a little expensive-a glass of soda was $4.50! :scared1: We decided to share an appetizer and get our own entrees.

DSCN0813.JPG

This was the Breadstick Sampler. Two soft pretzel Bavarian breadsticks and six cheesy Pizzetta strips with queso blanco and marinara sauces for dipping. We really liked this!

My entree was the Fire Roasted Veggie Quesadillas: Grill-toasted flour tortillas filled with bell peppers, sweet onions, tomatoes, shredded Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses.
DSCN0814.JPG

(Sorry the picture is so poor, but the movie had already started and I didn't want to turn the flash on). I asked for them without the peppers, and they were still a little spicy, but I enjoyed them. They also lasted me through the whole movie because there were a lot of them.

This was a unique experience that I would recommend!

Old Port Royale 4/23
On Monday I went to Animal Kingdom for a little while and then to Caribbean Beach for lunch (as a sidenote, I have now visited every single Disney owned resort on the property). After browsing at all the stations, I decided on the Reuben with Jerk Spiced Chips and Pineapple cup.
DSCN0820.JPG

The reuben was freshly made, so it did take a little while before it was ready. It was quite tasty though, although the bread was not quite toasted enough and so the sauerkraut made it a little soggy. The jerk spiced chips had just the right amount of spice, and the pineapple was sweet and juicy.

For dessert, they had a soft serve ice cream station, so I filled a cup with swirl, and topped it with buterscotch and chocolate sauce.
DSCN0822.JPG

Animal Kingdom Margarita Stand 4/24
On Tuesday I went to Animal Kingdom again, and I decided to get the Triple Yeti Blast margarita.
DSCN0848.JPG

This is layers of strawberry, lime, and mango. It wasn't bad, but I've decided that overall I'm just not a big fan of alcohol, and eventually it kind of melted into a mango mush that wasn't very tasty.

Hi Gretchen!

I thought of you when Dad and I were at Epcot on our trip. I was hoping you'd be at the International Gateway one of the days we went so I could say hi. :)

Looks like you've gotten to eat at some pretty good places. Everything looks really good-especially all the desserts. YEAH for getting a kitchen sink!

Can't believe it's almost May already-are you going to be extending your program?

Glad to see more awesome reviews! I haven't had breakfast at Chef Mickey's since 2007. I think I was at the same table you and your friends were! I heard on a Podcast about the new Yeti margarita, looks yummy!

Happy (very) belated b-day! I turned 21 in March and it's pretty fantastic, haha. I'll take the alcohol you don't want! :rotfl2:

The Sand Pail--this exists?! It's like a more manageable, cheaper, and delicious Kitchen Sink. I'm going to have to add that to my list for my May trip!

This is a little bit of a late reply but the pizza panini at SS looks delicious too. If I ever decide to not get the tuna salad, that will be on my list. :goodvibes

By the way, fantastic job on this thread! It's so well-organized, and it's pretty fantastic you've kept it up while doing the CP.

Glad to see you posted more reviews! You and your friends are all so cute and look like you are enjoying every second of your program. I especially love the Chef Mickey pictures.

I loved the Lucky One. I went just to stare at Zac too :) When we went in February I had bought $50 gift certificate for the AMC movie. My son was at the race and I went alone and spent the entire $50. It is good, but it is expensive.

All right readers, this is it. The last of my updates for the four months I spent in Disney. I'll be returning on Tuesday as a seasonal cast member, but I am beyond broke right now, so Disney eating will be minimal for a while. However, if that starts again, I'll start a new review.

May 2nd-Foodquest Snack
May 2nd was our "roomie day". We went mini-golfing at Winter Summerland, then to DisneyQuest, where we got snacks at Foodquest on the top floor. I chose the Red Velvet Cheesecake Cupcake which I believe is also available at Starring Rolls at DHS.
DSCN0943.JPG

It was incredibly yummy. I only learned that I like red velvet cake within the last few months, but combined with the cheesecake and what I think were toffee bits-:cloud9:

May 2nd-Ohana Dinner
To complete our roomie day, we had dinner ADRs at Ohana for 8:30pm. We checked in around 10 minutes early, and they told us they were running 10-15 minutes behind, so in the meantime I went to the bar and got the Lava Smoothie (aka the non-alcoholic pina colava).

Before I start this review, I must say that I remembered this restaurant being better in the past than it was this time around. Don't they normally grab you a loaf of bread on the way to the table? Well, that didn't happen. We got it when they brought the salad. Both items were very good, but some of my roommates wanted butter for the bread, and the server said she would have to check and see if they had any left because they throw it out after 8. :confused3 They did have it, and my roommates preferred the bread with butter.

The chicken wings were just okay, but as I've said in the past, I'm from Buffalo and I'm very specific about wings! And although I remember liking the pork dumplings, I think they were just too spicy this time.

The meats were a toss up. The grilled chicken was the best thing, and much better than I recall it being two years ago. I didn't want any pork, but our server ignored me and put it on my plate anyway. I don't know if I had any shrimp, but I didn't care for the sauce on the steak.

As for the other accompaniments, I didn't eat any of the vegetables, but I did really like the noodles-you can't go wrong with those!

And I know I don't like bread pudding, so I was more than fine with just eating one of the extra scoops of ice cream with sprinkles they had brought out.

We weren't by the windows closest to the castle, although we could see parts of Wishes and they did pipe the music in, but didn't dim the lights. Overall, I wasn't really impressed by this meal and I probably won't return anytime soon.

May 8th/11th-Main Street Bakery Breakfast
On the 8th, some of my friends and I went to Magic Kingdom, and we stopped at the Bakery. I think we all go the Chocolate Croissant.
DSCN0954.JPG

Truthfully, I was a little disappointed with it. I thought it would be warm and the chocolate melty, but it was room temp and the chocolate had already melted and then hardened again, plus it was just kind of dry.

However, on the evening of the 10th, I got a cheese danish to eat before my 5am Magical Express pickup on the 11th, and that was amazing!

May 10th-Intermission Food Court Breakfast
And for our final meal, a few friends and I went to All Star Music on our last day together for Mickey waffles.
DSCN0969.JPG

I chose the one that also comes with strawberry topping, which is in the little cup there, plus a fruit cup. It was all really good, and a perfect last meal. And I was pleased that I wasn't imagining the Mickey waffles here were bigger than the ones at the buffets, although they do have the smaller ones-they are for the kid's meals. However, one of my friends ordered the adult waffle, but they gave her four small ones because it would be awhile before the big one was ready.

I hoped you've enjoyed reading along with me as I sampled food throughout the "World", and if you're coming to Disney in the next few months, let me know cause I'd love to meet you!

Yay for going back/being a seasonal CM! Will you have the same job you had during the CP? My dad and Emma are going in June (two of her roommates are also going back as seasonal CMs and they're going to meet up)-I'll have to tell her to look for you.

Congratulations on completing your CP. How great that you are staying on as a seasonal employee. We will be there in July and would love to say hi in person. Will you still be at Epcot each day?

Also, I enjoyed the last of your dining reviews. Thank you again for taking so much time to post them for all of us to see. I know how time consuming it had to be.

What a great dining report and I hope you'll continue with some seasonal reviews! Will you be there at the end of August? I'm the one that does reviews with my "traveling sausage" so if you see some weird woman holding up a sausage and taking photos, that's me! :wave2:

Yay for going back/being a seasonal CM! Will you have the same job you had during the CP? My dad and Emma are going in June (two of her roommates are also going back as seasonal CMs and they're going to meet up)-I'll have to tell her to look for you.

Yup, I'm keeping the same job! I will let you know my schedule for when they come down.

Congratulations on completing your CP. How great that you are staying on as a seasonal employee. We will be there in July and would love to say hi in person. Will you still be at Epcot each day?

Also, I enjoyed the last of your dining reviews. Thank you again for taking so much time to post them for all of us to see. I know how time consuming it had to be.

I will still be at Epcot, and will continue to post my schedule on my blog so we can see if we can meet!

What a great dining report and I hope you'll continue with some seasonal reviews! Will you be there at the end of August? I'm the one that does reviews with my "traveling sausage" so if you see some weird woman holding up a sausage and taking photos, that's me! :wave2:

It depends on when in August. I start grad school on August 27th, so I'll probably be heading home the week prior at some point.

Yup, I'm keeping the same job! I will let you know my schedule for when they come down.

That's cool. Did you ever work parking (I thought I might've read on your blog you did?)? One of my sister's friends from her CP just went back down and he worked at Epcot. Pretty sure he was going back there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter