For those with grade school age kids - Park Bag Question

kimberwee

DIS Veteran
The last time we went to DW, my DD was just turning 5. So, we had a park "backpack" filled with whatever we would need, including a change of clothes for her.
This year, we are going again and DD is going to be 10. Needless to say, our "backpack" really might not be necessary. We are staying on property at a monorail resort.

I am considering a bag instead of a backpack for:
Phone
DD's Instax Camera
Travel Size First Aid: basically would consist of Tylenol & Bandaids
A place to stow ears or extras we don't feel like carrying (refillable mugs, etc)

Is this necessary? Am I overthinking this?

Thanks!

Frankly, I'd go with whatever is easier to tote around. We have a large canvas bag that we use, but a backpack would work too if you'd want that.

I take a messenger bag or a backpack for water bottles, my camera, and then any little items the boys (9 and 12) want to take, such as ears and portable fans.

We use not-stylish but every practical fanny packs. Each kid is responsible for her own fanny pack which contains: sunglasses, autograph book & pens, chapstick, and hand sanitizer. They each have their own water bottles which are attached to the fanny packs by carabineer clips.

We aren't taking a bag this time. We will bring one on the trip in case there is bad weather forecast so we can bring raincoats, but for an average day my phone will be in my pocket and anything we need (first aid etc) can be bought at the park

I prefer a messenger style bag and include:

Personal wipes (Wet Ones/ Diaper wipes)
First Aid supplies (sunscreen, band aids, neosporin, tylenol)
Zip Lock bags (gallon and sandwich sizes, 3 or so of each)
Rain Poncho (dollar store)

Most of that fits in the outer pockets and then our water bottles, camera, ears and extra clothes fit inside. I don't carry a purse in the parks, just the bag.

We are planning a backpack (kids are 12 and 9) with water bottles, some snacks, autograph books and a place to put sweatshirts if it warms up. My guys like to eat a quick granola bar or easy snack while waiting in line.

At that age my DD was old eonogh to carry her own stuff. I had a small crossbody with my phone, basic first aid stuff and an emergency poncho. DD had the same. DH put his stuff in the pockets of his cargo shorts. Everyone carries their own junk. We rented a locker to stow jackets or sweatshirts in and picked them up when it got chilly after dark. I HATE lugging a bag everywhere we go.

We take a backpack. When we went in June they were 10 and almost 9. We are a bit crazy with what we take though. We packed snacks, water bottles, hand sanitizer, zip lock bags, phones and chargers, first aid kit, and meds (advil for kids and adults, allergy meds for both, heartburn meds and anything else we might need) We also keep a key to the car, my wallet (this will change as we get used to the magic bands) and wipes just in case the kids get messy. I am sure we bring more stuff too. I know the one when the Tropical Storm was coming we brought sweatshirts too. It was a bit chilly that day.

The last time we went to DW, my DD was just turning 5. So, we had a park "backpack" filled with whatever we would need, including a change of clothes for her.
This year, we are going again and DD is going to be 10. Needless to say, our "backpack" really might not be necessary. We are staying on property at a monorail resort.

I am considering a bag instead of a backpack for:
Phone
DD's Instax Camera
Travel Size First Aid: basically would consist of Tylenol & Bandaids
A place to stow ears or extras we don't feel like carrying (refillable mugs, etc)

Is this necessary? Am I overthinking this?

Thanks!
only thing I would add to list is pepto-bismol

I guess we have become minimalists. We don't take any bags. Last trip we were at the Poly and only went to MK. I left our room with my magic band on my wrist; sunglasses on my head; and a few bandaids, lip balm, and one form of ID in a buttoned pants pocket. We lathered on sunscreen before we left the room. DS (4) had a hat and his magic band. DH had the same (hat; MB), plus sunglasses and his wallet. We spent at most 5.5 hours in the park and then returned to the resort for a break. We went back into MK a few evenings and brought even less (no sunglasses or hats). It was wonderful to be so unencumbered and we missed none of the items I used to lug around.

I wouldn't take a bag at that age. Once my kids hit 5, we don't carry anything with us. There's first aid in the parks, free ice water at every QS location, phones go in our pockets, and we stay at MK hotels, so if we need anything, we're close. Although that's never been an issue and we've never had to go back for any reason.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!