For the Travel Hackers: ABD Charge on Sapphire Reserve

Just popping back in to report I got the Reserve card! :woohoo: I was able to get around the Chase 5/24 rule by one of the only two methods that work. Funding the Disney Savings Vacation account with it will code as travel too. Looking forward to $600 off on our next ABD! I don't think I have ever been so excited about a credit card!
You are a genius! I just requested my husband's preferred to be converted to Freedom Unlimited. That is way better than canceling. Thanks for the great idea!

I am now up to 9 Chase cards LOL As far as I am concerned this card is the "Holy Grail" of travel credit cards so I am stoked!!! I product changed my Sapphire Preferred to a Freedom Unlimited. So now I have the Chase Quadfecta. We are in Epcot this weekend for Food & Wine and will be happily abusing our Reserve cards!
Agree on holy grail. I've been evangelizing this card to everyone I know! Calfan and I applied first day, lol. Have an awesome time at F&W. Both dh and I have already met our spends--a little too easily, lol.

Yay Calypso! So happy you got the card. I got mine in the mail just the other day (finally)!! And, I'm happy to report, they are back to the metal cards. Silly things, I know. I already put $300 on my DVA. Enjoy your time at the Food and Wine Fest. I went two years ago and loved it. Need to get back someday. If only I lived closer.

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-pre-approval-branch-frequently-asked-questions/

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/ensure-youll-receive-pre-approved-offers/

Above are the links to the FAQs and data points for the Reserve. The second link is how to make sure you are able to get a pre-approved offer from Chase.

There are only two ways around a 5/24 denial that doesn't include the count for AUs on a recon call. There are countless data points of those who are way over 5/24 with no AU cards and got the dreaded 7-10 day message on their application. Then they went into a branch and asked if they had any preapproved offers on their account. Online offer on your account are not the same you have to check in the branch. Those who had one were able to apply and get the card.

The other way around 5/24 is if you are a Chase Private Client. Make an appointment with your banker and have them apply and call recon on your behalf. Most CPCs have been approved. I have seen a couple of data points where one wasn't approved so it isn't a guarantee. Those who went the CPC route were able to join CPC are reporting that they were able to do so without going "all in" on the amount Chase states are the requirements and you can negotiate the fee should you decide to let them manage anything. I have read that letting them manage your funds is not a requirement to become CPC.

My own datapoints for those considering: DH and I were both at or over 10/24 and non were AU cards. I pulled the trigger before I saw datapoints that 5/24 was being enforced. Got the 7-10 day message. Called recon twice and got the hard denial twice for being over 5/24. Checked to see if we had preapproved offers in branch and had none. Read the datapoints on CPC, ran the numbers to compare what we were currently doing with another firm. Decided to explore that route. Made an appointment with CPC banker the day after officially joining CPC. Since I already had a denial on my app and it had been past 30 days the banker did DHS app first to see how it would go. The analyst noted being past 5/24 but said they'd see what they could do for him since he was CPC. DH moved around some existing credit lines and was approved. The CPC banker had my app ready to send once we got the nod and hit submit. The analyst shifted around some of my credit lines and I was approved. Got my card 2 days later. CPC banker called me to inform me that they were out of metal cards and the plastic one was temporary LOL. I told him I was aware. Hope this helps.

Calypso,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write such detailed instructions for getting past the 5/24 Chase rule! DH is not leaning towards moving money to become a Chase Private Client so we may end up waiting a few months. Right now we are packing for our ABD China trip that begins this weekend. So excited!! :thanks:

Kathy

got my card Oct 1, booked a round trip flight on SWA on October 7th, $274, and the same day got my $274 travel credit. Planning on downgrading my Saphire Preferred to Freedom so I don't take a hit on my credit rating by canceling a card. Hopefully, I'll get that taken care of in time to get in on the Wholesale club deal...

got my card Oct 1, booked a round trip flight on SWA on October 7th, $274, and the same day got my $274 travel credit. Planning on downgrading my Saphire Preferred to Freedom so I don't take a hit on my credit rating by canceling a card. Hopefully, I'll get that taken care of in time to get in on the Wholesale club deal...

Congrats! We paid part of our Winter in Wyoming ABD with ours and and were able to knock $600 off of our trip with the travel credits. I downgraded my Sapphire Preferred to the Freedom Unlimited and DH is getting a second Freedom card so he can get 15,000 UR points each quarter. I like the Wholesale Club bonus this year! Discounted Disney gift cards and 5 UR points per dollar for them is awesome! Happy travel hacking!

Got my CSR this week. There are a lot of great benefits to this card. Already, my favorite benefit is that when you call Customer Service you always get a human.

I finally applied for the CSR. I used my dh's income since I do freelance work and he is by far the primary breadwinner.

I got a note that my application needs review and if approved I would get the card in 7 - 10 days. We don't carry any debt other than a small mortgage on one of our houses. Anyone know why this would happen? I only have 1 other card (Chase Hyatt) and pay in full every month.

I finally applied for the CSR. I used my dh's income since I do freelance work and he is by far the primary breadwinner.

I got a note that my application needs review and if approved I would get the card in 7 - 10 days. We don't carry any debt other than a small mortgage on one of our houses. Anyone know why this would happen? I only have 1 other card (Chase Hyatt) and pay in full every month.
If you put down self employed that can do it, too. I would call.

It could be as simple as that they want to verify your identity.

It could be for any of the following:

Identity verification. They've given you the max credit that they want to and you will need to shuffle a line of credit from one card to another. You've opened 5 or more new credit cards with any bank in the last 24 months. You put self employed. You have incorrect information on your credit report that caused a denial. There are notes on your credit report that need further investigation. This can happen if you co-sign for someone who has had a bankruptcy. I'd call recon and get it sorted out.

My mom had a similar situation. One credit card that she pays off monthly, mortgage paid off and a small car loan. She does own her own business, so we thought that was it. She called and they told her they were looking into her credit history. It didn't make a lot of sense because she has excellent credit (very high 700's) , but they said it was her lack of credit lines they wanted to look into. Um, okay. It didn't quite make sense to me,but they did sort it out and they approved her easily. It was just a weird scenario (or at least it was to me). Like others have suggested, I'd call and have them sort it out with you on the phone.

I got the same message also. But got the card 2 weeks later with a much larger credit limit than on any of my other 5 cards. I think alot of people get that message.

It could be for any of the following:

Identity verification. They've given you the max credit that they want to and you will need to shuffle a line of credit from one card to another. You've opened 5 or more new credit cards with any bank in the last 24 months. You put self employed. You have incorrect information on your credit report that caused a denial. There are notes on your credit report that need further investigation. This can happen if you co-sign for someone who has had a bankruptcy. I'd call recon and get it sorted out.

I called the customer service number and they told me I'd have to wait the 7 - 10 business days for a decision. They wouldn't give me any details. I can't imagine that I wouldn't be approved -- unless it is for lack of credit since I only have 1 credit card. I wonder if I should call again and talk to someone different. I have to pay an additional deposit for an upcoming trip in a few days and was hoping to use the card so I could get the $300.00 travel credit; hopefully I can stall paying the deposit until I have the new card (wishful thinking!).

I called the customer service number and they told me I'd have to wait the 7 - 10 business days for a decision. They wouldn't give me any details. I can't imagine that I wouldn't be approved -- unless it is for lack of credit since I only have 1 credit card. I wonder if I should call again and talk to someone different. I have to pay an additional deposit for an upcoming trip in a few days and was hoping to use the card so I could get the $300.00 travel credit; hopefully I can stall paying the deposit until I have the new card (wishful thinking!).

You need to call a recon line.
  • (888) 270-2127 – personal cards reconsideration phone number #1
  • (800) 432-3117- personal cards reconsideration phone number #2
  • (888) 609-7805- personal cards reconsideration phone number #3
  • (888) 871-4649- personal cards reconsideration phone number #4

You need to call a recon line.
  • (888) 270-2127 – personal cards reconsideration phone number #1
  • (800) 432-3117- personal cards reconsideration phone number #2
  • (888) 609-7805- personal cards reconsideration phone number #3
  • (888) 871-4649- personal cards reconsideration phone number #4

Thank you for the phone numbers. I just called and was told my application was approved and I should be receiving the welcome package in 7 - 10 days! Yay!

Thank you for the phone numbers. I just called and was told my application was approved and I should be receiving the welcome package in 7 - 10 days! Yay!

Hopefully you get the card before your deposit is due in order to get your travel credit right away !!

Hopefully you get the card before your deposit is due in order to get your travel credit right away !!

The stars aligned for me. I received the invoices (one in ZAR and the other in USD) in my e-mail this morning. Within 2 hours the package with the card was delivered by UPS. I have paid the deposit, started to chip away at the $4,000.00 spend requirement (this was the second deposit -- basically the additional cost to add Victoria Falls to our existing safari & Cape Town itinerary), earned the $300.00 travel credit and will receive triple points on the purchase (travel)! Yippee!

The stars aligned for me. I received the invoices (one in ZAR and the other in USD) in my e-mail this morning. Within 2 hours the package with the card was delivered by UPS. I have paid the deposit, started to chip away at the $4,000.00 spend requirement (this was the second deposit -- basically the additional cost to add Victoria Falls to our existing safari & Cape Town itinerary), earned the $300.00 travel credit and will receive triple points on the purchase (travel)! Yippee!
Fantastic!! It's the best when everything works out so well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter