• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Flying Fish -- Unusual Experience!

smr33

Earning My Ears
We ate at Flying Fish last week (Thursday night) -- cast was me, my husband and my five year old son. We made early ADR (5:30) as we find most of the signature restaurants more "kid-friendly" early in the evening.

Our waitress was fantastic. We ordered appetizers and entrees, a couple of glasses of wine, and settled in for what has always been for us a fabulous dinner. My son was coloring happily. We sipped our wine. All was right with the world.

Over the course of the next 30 minutes, our section was filled with convention types who had evidently booked the 5 or 6 tables near us. The problem was, these people didn't sit down! They were drinking wine, socializing, and standing right over our shoulders and all around our table. It got worse and worse as more of them arrived. When our waitress brought our entrees, we asked her if someone could get these guys to sit down. She agreed it was a big problem and brought over the manager who offered to move us. We replied that we were in the middle of our meal and didn't really want to move and it seemed appropriate for him to ask the groups of folks to sit down already! He left.

After a while, it just became kind of funny. We found out they were Canadian chemists or something and we began cracking jokes, trying to get them to take the hint that they were being extremely rude.

Our waitress took our dessert orders and within a few minutes came back and asked us if the manager had spoken with us. We said, yeah, but we didn't really want to move. She said our meal was completely comped. I was stunned. I think I said something stupid like, "you don't have to do that," and she and my husband said in unison, "oh yes we/they do." She then asked if we wanted her to bring back the dessert menu so we could order some more stuff on the house!! We declined, but my husband did order another glass of wine to go with our cheese plate.

She told us later that there had been a screwup; the folks congregating in our section had reserved a private room, but the restaurant had double booked the room in error.

The good news was we got a $200 dinner gratis! We tipped the waitress very well (even though she told us we didn't need to and the restaurant would cover the tip as well).

Just proves that Disney still can go "above and beyond" in ensuring guest satisfaction. It probably helped that we had a good attitude about the whole thing. And dinner was really fabulous.

Wow! I think I better check to see when a convention is in town! :banana: :woohoo:
:rotfl2:
Glad it worked out for you in the end! :wizard:

What a weird experience ~ Nice that Disney came through in the end.

Wow, I'm very glad to hear that you were treated properly after all! Who wants to pay those prices for a nice meal, only to have conventioneers hanging over your shoulder!

Wow! Great job on Disney's part. I think that the way they handled this was perfect. This way you left the establishment with a good feeling. You will have no trouble going there for another meal. Neither will anyone who has read your post.

Disney comes through again. :thumbsup2 We're looking forward to eating there next trip. I'm glad they are child friendly, as I was a little nervous given the menu, atmosphere, etc....

Disney comes through again. :thumbsup2 We're looking forward to eating there next trip. I'm glad they are child friendly, as I was a little nervous given the menu, atmosphere, etc....

Do not hesitate to take children (assuming they are reasonably well-behaved). We've gone there for years, first with our older daughter when she was still very young, and now with our five year old son. As I noted, my best advice is to go early (we always get a 5:30 p.m. ADR) when the restaurant is less crowded. They have always been very gracious and kind to my children, and my children have always behaved very nicely there (probably better that in some of the counter service places!)

Enjoy

Glad it worked out in the long run. But you were right in asking for THEM to sit down. I imagine they were bothering other folks as well, including servers trying to carry plates of food.

Glad to hear they treated you well!!! Just for hearing that I will be trying the Flying Fish on my next trip!

WOW some pixie dust is still floating around. I love FF and we go every trip. Top notch service and the steak is to die for. :thumbsup2 Congrats on the free meal!!!! What a treat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter