Flight/hotel conundrum

anricat

DIS Veteran
I'm trying to figure out my best travel/hotel option for our trip to Universal in June. Currently I have Royal Pacific booked for Thursday June 1-Sunday June 4 with my intention to spend the evening of June 1, and then full days Friday June 2 and Saturday June 3 at the parks.

I've been keeping my eye on the Southwest airfare (I have points to use) and it's $196/person (well, the corresponding number of points) for the June 1 morning flight, which is out of my budget. There's a Wednesday evening flight, getting in late (10:35 PM) for $126 which is way way better. Saving $70 a person (family of three) would be great, but then I'm faced with another hotel stay and a late night (not such an issue for me and DH, but I want DD age 8 starting her vacation off right).

So then I thought maybe we could just roll into the Hyatt MCO for the night on Wednesday, but it's like $$$ and pretty much negates all those savings. Staying another night at RPR does the same. So then I'm thinking maybe another hotel - something close to the airport? Maybe something close Universal, like the Holiday Inn across the street and then move over in the morning? But then, by the time we get to the resort after a 10:35 PM flight, it's going to be like midnight or something (we're coming from central time so that's more like 11 PM, but still...) I guess we can sleep in, but sheesh.

Man, I'm so torn. Anyone have any thoughts on this one? I've been waiting to see if it will drop and every Tuesday I get alert for SWA sales and it's just not dropping (actually, it went up - it was $158). I'm worried with the popularity of summer travel, I'm not going to see it go down.

I don't think the SWA prices will drop. There may be a coupon that comes along, but the flights that are more expensive may cost even more by then. I'd book your flights sooner rather than later. Is there another airline that may be cheaper?

What about a night at Cabana Bay? Then you're on prop and can ease into vacation mode. Their pools are great and you can wake up and go in the lazy river before switching hotels and going to the parks on Thursday. Are you getting 2 park to park 3 day tickets? Maybe look and see in a couple weeks if annual passholder rates are available for your stay and buy a pass for you or DH to get the discount.

What is the price for Wednesday at rpr?

You can stay offsite at HI for $74 Wednesday then switch to rpr Thursday
Check in early and get your ep passes set up
Have valet hold your luggage and return to the hotel at 4:00 for your room

Or book at Cbay for Wednesday

If you are renting a car, you could stay at any offsite hotel on your first night

I would take the late flight in and stay at Sapphire Falls for one night if you need to save a little $. It is right next door to the RP and literally about a 2 minute walk to move over. Or just stay at the RP so you wouldn't have to waste time moving in the morning. Then you can unpack and get your stuff in order for the morning (get your express passes) and be ready to get out the door for whichever park opens at 8. I would highly recommend going for park opening at 8, then getting out of there after lunch for a break and then going back to the parks about 5 until close. The crowds and heat are ridiculous in the middle of the day. I would book the SW flights now-I would not count on the pricing going down at all and if they do, you can always get your points back if you keep an eye on it. My experience with summer flights is that they rarely go down-we try to buy the day they open up.

Wednesday at RPR is $319. The best I can find for the Holiday Inn is $101. Cabana Bay is $169. How hard is it to move from HI to RPR? Worth an extra $70 to stay at Cabana Bay?

I'm either going to get 3 day park to park or 4 day park to park. Sometimes through Tickets At Work the "buy 2 get 2 days free" tickets are cheaper. (And yah, I made sure to go all the way through checkout to add in the tax.)

I think ya'll are right and I should just book that cheap flight. Especially since it's with points and it's Southwest. I did check out JetBlue, which is the only other direct from Austin and it's not much better, $156 w/ 1 bag ($138 with no bags, but we need to check bags), but the flight is mid-afternoon. We won't get in until the evening and so we would lose that Thursday evening of fun and I don't like that. We can't do the Wednesday afternoon flight because DH can't take another day off work since we also have a cruise in March and a WDW trip planned for October.

So now the choice is really where are we going to stay for that late flight Wednesday night.

If you have park tickets for Thursday, it's not worth the extra $70 for cabana bay. I like the holiday inn, go to the parks, take a mid day break and switch hotels plan. I'd rather be in the parks!

could be $5 (or close to it) for a taxi to go from HI to RPR

a few months ago it was $5 from HI to the parking garage

HInn is a nice place

Oh, do you all usually take a taxi over to the Holiday Inn from the airport? Shuttle? We're three people, so I'm wondering what's best.

Check with the hotel and ask if they provide shuttles to their hotel

Star service shuttle is the only one I know of
This company does shuttles to and from the airport to participating hotels in the UO area
Pay per person set up for rt

What about the La Quinta? I have used a few La Quinta's for "night before" stays, and while certainly not fancy, they are practical. The one at MCO does has a free shuttle (call the front desk before you go to see how they arrange for it), and also a free breakfast. The AAA rate for that night is $94.50 right now.

If you stay at an airport property that has a shuttle you will be able to use Uber to get to RPR for about $20. (You can only use Uber Black from the airport and it's pricy.)

Comfort Suites Orlando airport is $80 and they have breakfast and airport shuttle

Thanks all! We booked the Comfort close to the airport and we'll take an Uber or Lyft that morning. Definitely a money saver! Thanks for the suggestion!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter