First trip to Boston!

I'm not a big fan of Italian pastry (I know, sacrilege!) but Flour bakery + cafe now has three locations in Boston and her baked goods are considered fabulous. Flour also serves salads and sandwiches.

Also, summer time is Food Truck time! Everything from Vegan to Vietnamese.

I second Flour Bakery + Cafe! The baked goods are amazing, but their sandwiches are delicious too. Full disclosure though, my husband is the catering director for Flour, but that's how I know that they have a really great culture and definitely deserve the love! Also, by the time you're here Flour will actually have 7 locations in Boston/Cambridge, so it'll be easy to find. Their newest one will be right by the Prudential Center. Joanne Chang, the owner of Flour, also has an Asian fusion restaurant called Myers + Chang. The head chef there was recently a contestant on Top Chef, and the food there is always incredible. They're a bit pricier, but moreso fun than fancy.

As for activities, I've always loved the New England Aquarium and the Franklin Park Zoo, though as far as zoos and aquariums go they are both fairly run-of-the-mill. The Museum of Fine Arts is always a good time too.

Depending on your budget get dinner at Sampo or drinks at Alibi. Both are in the Liberty Hotel which use to be a prison. In the summer they set up a bar outside in the "yard"

Sonsie and Stephanie's on Newbury St are pretty popular and casual. You can walk and window shop on Newbury.

If you take the T (subway) try to pick up a Charlie card (plastic) over a Charlie ticket (paper). Fares using the card are less expensive then if using the ticket.

Personally, I am a huge fan of the Museum of Fine Arts and recommend it to anyone visiting. I could spend days there!!!
Personally, I only like going when they have special hands on activities when I bring the kids. I nicely went with a friend a few weeks ago and couldn't wait to leave. One hour is more than enough for me. I would recommend the Museum of Science though since I can and have spent hours there many times (we have a membership).

If you do the Duck Boats be sure to use this one, http://www.bostonducktours.com/
While I completely agree that the duck boats are better than the superducks dd and I did the superducks one day and was pleasantly surprised by it. We were looking for something we had never done. We actually enjoyed the bus ride from Faneuil Hall to near the USS Constitution more than the ride itself. We also had a great time doing a round trip on the Old Town Trolley tour without getting off even though none of it was new things for us to see. We live just north of Boston and like to hop on the subway and play tourist sometimes.

I second this recommendation of Union Oyster House. I would not, however, recommend Legal Seafood which has locations all over Greater Boston - the food in my experience does not match the price.
I didn't realize that they originated in Boston, we have that chain here in NJ.

I have not been to Boston yet but would love to go this summer, just to see the USS Constitution in dry dock. If you're not familiar with dry dock, they basically remove all the water around the boat so you see it fully exposed (they do restoration on it). It only goes into dry dock once every 20 years or so, so if you don't frequent Boston it might be your only time to see it this way.

I have not been to Boston yet but would love to go this summer, just to see the USS Constitution in dry dock. If you're not familiar with dry dock, they basically remove all the water around the boat so you see it fully exposed (they do restoration on it). It only goes into dry dock once every 20 years or so, so if you don't frequent Boston it might be your only time to see it this way.

I was fortunate enough to be able to sail on the USS Constitution on its July 4th Turnaround Cruise in 1989. For most people its a lottery system each year that they have it. We were attached to Navy Historical in Washington at that time and several tickets were given each year for this department as it was part of this department then.

They actually tow it out into Boston Harbor and you are onboard for a few hours and they give you a commemorative certificate with your name saying that you have sailed on the Constitution. In 2018 they will sail/tow it again as it is in dry dock this year. In 1995 they actually sailed it using its sails as opposed to towing it. Its an amazing piece of history for those interested.

I was fortunate enough to be able to sail on the USS Constitution on its July 4th Turnaround Cruise in 1989. For most people its a lottery system each year that they have it. We were attached to Navy Historical in Washington at that time and several tickets were given each year for this department as it was part of this department then.

They actually tow it out into Boston Harbor and you are onboard for a few hours and they give you a commemorative certificate with your name saying that you have sailed on the Constitution. In 2018 they will sail/tow it again as it is in dry dock this year. In 1995 they actually sailed it using its sails as opposed to towing it. Its an amazing piece of history for those interested.

WOW that sounds amazing!!!!

I'm not a big fan of Italian pastry (I know, sacrilege!) but Flour bakery + cafe now has three locations in Boston and her baked goods are considered fabulous. Flour also serves salads and sandwiches.

Also, summer time is Food Truck time! Everything from Vegan to Vietnamese.
Mem, if you are a Bostonian, try Clear Flour Bakery in Brookline. It's really good.

Mem, if you are a Bostonian, try Clear Flour Bakery in Brookline. It's really good.
Hmm...I work in Chinatown/Theater District and live in the suburbs west of Boston but if I find myself in Brookline, I'll check it out. Thanks!

My son goes to school up that way and almost every time we visit, we go to Mikes Pastry. There's also a great little Italian restaurant about a block away from Mikes, called Panza. We've gone there many times and the food is great.

I woud suggest getting a weekly T (public transportation) pass for $21.25 each for unlimited bus/subway and taking the t as needed. A daily unlimited is $12. If you like pizza and history you might enjoy https://www.bostonpizzatours.com/tour-calendar.html though depending on when your going you might find a better price on groupon or living social. If you want to use one day as a day trip you could do Salem MA or Plymouth MA (depending on your interests) though there is plenty to do right in Boston. Unfortunately you need 3 to 5 people to do Boda Borg which is a very unique interactive experience.

Thanks for the Boston Pizza Tours link! I actually came on this thread to offer some suggestions, but in scanning through I saw this! I'm definitely adding it to my spring calendar as something special to do with DS! I've done a Mother/Child trip with each of my kiddos, every year since they were each about 8.... but DS turns 19 next week and finding something that we can BOTH enjoy (other than Disney) is getting to be a struggle! This sounds perfect.... I may add an overnight in Providence with a trip to Dave and Busters for dinner.... I'm guessing he would give all of this a "thumbs up"! Thanks again!.......P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter