First time trip with scooters. Need advice

Capo

Mouseketeer
Hi All,

While we have been to WDW many times, this is the first time we'll be going with others in our parties who will have scooters with them (there will be 2 of them). We have our typical "strategies" and routines down pretty well now but want to make sure we make adequate adjustments for the scooters.

Any suggestions, things to be aware of, strategy tips, etc. when you have scooters as part of a larger group? I found one helpful thread, but would welcome any specific call-outs.

Thank you!

Your previous experience at WDW will certainly help, as I am sure you have observed the good and bad side of scooter-driving guests! There are some pretty big variables to consider as well. Will you be resort guests or staying off-site? Using a lot of or very little WDW transportation? Will these be rental or personally owned scooters? Are the guest experienced scooter drivers, or just people who understand their physical limitations would really limit their ability to enjoy their visit? Are these guests able to be on their own, or will they always be accompanied by someone?

I say this because our biggest scooter experience involved my mother's first trip to WDW at 89 yrs old! She had also never driven a scooter! All in all, it was the best decision of the trip, as she loved the independence, and also had the luxury of hopping off to walk. She was blessed with excellent mobility, just not the stamina for theme park distances, nor would we leave her to explore on her own. A bit of practice is a good idea if anything is new or different.

We stayed off site, and the rental scooter broke down easily to fit in the back of our minivan. It would have done so in a decent size trunk, as well. She has a handicapped parking pass, which meant we were always close enough to walk to park entrances. I don't think Scooters and parking lot trams mix. Buses and monorails certainly accommodate scooters but patience is needed and it can be awkward to keep a group together. Setting reasonable expectations in that regard is important.

While most of us do our very best to be courteous of ALL wheeled conveyances, there are those who consider them nothing more than a nuisance. I sincerely hope your paths don't cross. Those folk often have an inflated sense of entitlement and generally don't do much to enhance anyone's enjoyment (including their own!)

Much more common are those of us who are engrossed/distracted/overwhelmed and over-tired by the environment. Yes, we, the people, are the biggest challenge. Navigating through crowds isn't easy, and can be tougher at night.

Expect that movement in and out of the parks will take longer. It will be easier all around if your strategies include avoiding areas and times of greatest congestion. Even those who ride scooters daily may have never had to drive with wall-to-wall people. The stop and go is bad enough, but toss in the unpredictable movements of people... yikes! My mother was NOT up to that challenge at night and my DH was not one to ever wait out a crowd. We used one of two options. One of us would drive the scooter, if Mom felt like walking. Alternately, we would slip the scooter in neutral and steer and push it along with her seated. The speed was minimal and we could easily keep pace with the crowd, as well as keep ourselves as side buffers for children in tight spaces. But, being in my 60's, I sure hated those ramps UP to the monorail - LOL.

There were some awesome things about having a scooter in the group, too. While there wasn't lot of cargo capacity, we could load it with more than you might think. There were 10 of us, including 3 children. A saddle bag of sorts attached to the back of the seats was like having a small trunk. Several jackets and sweaters could layer on the back of the seat. The more gear that can be attached, without interfering with driver comfort or safe operation, the better.

Speaking of the drivers, they need to be sure they can easily dismount the scooter, with no straps that could entangle and throw them off balance, or even just cause annoyance. We had to make some adjustments with a purse strap. Scooter-mounted sunshades or brimmed sunhat is essential. Maybe even both. Rain protection, for both rider and the shaft of the scooter. Not all of them can withstand rain. Riders also may experience the temperature differently. Walking keeps our circulation moving, and also elevates our body temperature. While we may welcome the a/c, or temperature drop after sundown, those not walking can get chilled much faster. Of course, it is easy for them to carry along a sweater!

WDW in a scooter can be wonderful, but takes its own kind of patience and common sense. As guests, we can bring our own magic, by treating every other guest with a smile and the same courtesy and kindness we would like to receive. Hold a door, step aside so a family can stay together, offer to share a table, play peekaboo with a young one in a line and hopefully the rest of us will be smiling and trying to make this visit full of happy memories for all of you.

Enjoy your trip

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a great post, it was very helpful.

If others have other points to share, I welcome them.

If the person on the scooter hasn't used one much, the one thing we noticed was that the person driving the scooter was paying so much attention to what everyone else was doing, to avoid hitting anyone or anything, that they missed being able to just look around and enjoy the view in the parks. Take a little time to smell the roses!

We also found that creating a sort of perimeter around the scooters with the walking members of our group kept people from darting in front of them so often.

Be careful in the dark! I have seen more than one scooter tip over because they were driving in a crowd and couldn't see a curb in the dark.

If they are semi-mobile and plan to park every so often and do some walking, have a towel to put over the seat and fold the back of the seat down if possible. Nothing like sitting on a black vinyl seat that's been sitting in the summer sun for an hour or two . . .In fact, having the towel to sit on can make it more comfortable as well, if the weather is hot. If you park it, make sure to take the key with you, and if you park to watch a show or fireworks, take the key out of the ignition so if someone bumps the handle, it won't cause the scooter to lurch unexpectedly.

Have the walking members of the party set the pace. The scooter won't have trouble keeping up, but the walking people might have trouble keeping up with the scooter. The Disney ones don't go very fast, but we rented from off property, and at first, we were nearly jogging to keep up even though the scooter drivers felt like they were just creeping along. Once the scooters kept up with the walkers, instead of the other way round, everyone was more comfortable.

We did our first trip with a mobility chair (more like an electric wheelchair than a scooter) in October. I echo the PP's insights. My mom is in the chair and she and my dad were pretty careful to try and travel at off times to avoid more crowded conditions.

The transportation folks really generally have it down to a science. We only had one less than magical bus driver (who didn't see us waiting in the HC area and drove on by then had to double back). But we traveled by bus, boat, monorail, and private vehicle with nary a problem. The small boat launches from MK to Poly/GF cannot accommodate scooters but the ferry and larger boats that go to Ft Wilderness can accommodate them.

If your scooter users cannot transfer (my mom cannot), they will be more limited in their ride selections. We found CMs at rides to be a bit hit or miss on accuracy. One CM at the Pooh ride told us to use standby line but when we went to enter, a different CM said we couldn't go that way. She ultimately said just to go ahead but she didn't think we could go through that way. She was wrong, we went through standby line just fine and separated off at the end. I guess the moral of that story is that YMMV when asking CMs for direction, so keep that in mind. I think they were all trying to be helpful, some were just misinformed.

If you require or would like an accommodation of some sort, ask politely. We were at MNSSHP waiting to meet Pooh and friends. The line was narrow and sort of wound uphill a bit. My mom didn't feel super comfortable navigating it. We asked a CM if she could come up the exit to get in the photo when it was our turn. No problem - super nice and helpful. I understand the answer could have been no, but we were thankful for their assistance.

It will require a bit more patience, in travel time, restaurant seating time, and sometimes ride waits too, but I personally thought our trip went much more smoothly than I anticipated. Have a great time!

Thank you all. They are able to do some short range walking, but if there is a lengthy line, they will likely still need the scooter.

One question specifically on bus lines at resorts and parks. I understand there is a marked loading area where you can park the scooters. Should you wait in the normal line and then drive over to that area, or should you park your scooters in the loading area right away?

What about the rest of the party? Should they stay in the line (or have one person hold the spot?) or should everyone stay by the scooters? I just want to make sure we're clear on the rules and do it correctly.

Thanks!

At the Resorts, have one of the scooter drivers park in the white rectangle you will find painted on the ground at the bus stop. If possible, the second scooter can line up behind the first.

Stay in "the box" until your bus arrives, and the driver has acknowledged you. (I always wave at the driver as they pull up, and they will typically wave or nod to acknowledge) If s/he "misses" the mark - (and they do) and parks the bus a bit further forward or backward from the rectangle, then wait until the bus has emptied, and the driver has closed the doors to "kneel" the bus. The scooter can then "reposition" and line up centered on the back door.

Make sure you have your strategy - since most of the buses will only accommodate 2 ECVs, you need to decide IN ADVANCE how you want to handle it if there is only one space available. (Maybe there is already a mobility device on board, or a mobility device arrived at the bus stop ahead of your group) If you decide to split up, make sure you have already decided (and informed your entire traveling party) of who goes with which scooter, and where you will meet up. Remember that it will typically be an *average* wait time of 20 minutes between buses. Don't make the driver and other passengers wait while your group tries to decide who will ride and who will stay.

Finally, one other place you may want to pre-strategize for the group is at Security at the Parks entrances. Assign one person to stay with each scooter driver through security, in case they need any assistance, and let the rest of the group go through as usual. (Think of it like "TSA Lite" LOL)

With a large group, the scooter drivers can easily let others handle things for them like QS lines.

And yes, there *will* be a "wind chill" effect for riders when temperatures drop; I always take along (minimally) a sweater for nighttime.

Regarding the giant sunshades that some companies rent: For inexperienced drivers especially, those can cause problems, as they can limit visibility. And personally, I believe that those are one of the leading causes of "ECV rage" that we see in some of the other park Guests. Those sunshades can limit the forward visibility of Guests who are *behind* the ECV (not just at Parades, shows, etc. but even just moving through the Parks) They are a giant, moving target that those folks can focus all their unhappiness on... Although I personally would benefit greatly from a sunshade, I long ago decided to use a hat, gloves, and long pants/sleeves to manage the amount of sun I am exposed to.

Last but not least, there will be a STRONG temptation to use the scooters as "pack mules". Rule the first is this: Never Never Never ever, don't ever ever ever leave anything on that scooter unattended that you don't care about. If you go to Arribas Bros. and purchase mega dollars worth of crystal and then it gets stolen off of an unattended scooter? I have zero sympathy for you. No, people shouldn't mess with your stuff - and most of the folks at WDW won't. But not everyone at WDW was "raised right" as my Grandma used to say, and they can't resist the temptation to poke around in your stuff. TL;DR DON'T LEAVE ANYTHING ON THE SCOOTER YOU CARE ABOUT, AND DON'T CRY IF YOU DO AND IT GETS STOLEN.

But... there's other reasons to not load the scooters down, and they are important. First of all, every extra pound you add to the scooter impacts battery life. Next, the more "stuff" a scooter has on it, the greater the chance of a mishap. I have personally seen people with giant backpacks strapped on the back of scooter seats who forget, and then start backing up in the shops. Ends in disaster every time. And finally, be focused on being at Disney World, and not how much "stuff" you can bring with you. Tie a sweater around your waist, tuck a Coleman poncho in your back pocket, and put your Magic Band on. Everything else can stay at the Resort - you can get free water in the Parks. (And with Security checks, s/he who can go through the "no bag" line, wins!)

I hope y'all have a lovely, Magical trip! :)

If the person on the scooter hasn't used one much, the one thing we noticed was that the person driving the scooter was paying so much attention to what everyone else was doing, to avoid hitting anyone or anything, that they missed being able to just look around and enjoy the view in the parks. Take a little time to smell the roses!

This last trip my DH used a wheelchair for the first time and I as the one doing the pushing felt like this. I was so focus not hitting anyone I would miss some things.

But and this would go with using a scooter too, since my DH was in less pain and not as worn out we were able to stay in the parks longer.

Great advice about the sunshade and oversized backpacks, Mamabunny! So glad you mentioned that. We made sure never to exceed the "footprint" of the scooter, as I have been buffeted about sufficiently by backpacks while commuting. Also learned that if I wear one, I have no concept of my rear bumper, so to speak. My natural rear bumper is big enough.

Have not been to WDW in a scooter (will be next month) but was in DLand in Anaheim last year. I agree about the crowds especially in MK after the parade. It was very tough and slow go. One thing that was helpful though, for negotiating in the semi darkness through nightfall, was a bright light that I attached to the front of the scooter to use as a headlight and, moreso as a warning light. To that end, I aimed it slightly upwards so that people would see it. Additionally I put a flashing red light on the back of the scooter so people could see me. You can buy them quite inexpensively and pop them on and off as needed.
The only other thing I can add is have PATIENCE (deep breathing a bit of meditation sometimes helps)
Hope you enjoy your trip.

After a bad ankle break 17 years ago and 4 major surgeries since, I know that my next trip to WDW will include a scooter since I cannot handle long walking days anymore, especially more than one in a row. Reading the tips you guy are providing is really helpful preparing my mind on what to expect on our next trip. thank you!

Everyone has given great advice. I can't add much to it except maybe when you leave your scooter, put the seat down. Once, it rained while we were inside eating lunch and my bum was wet for a bit. Another time a small family actually helped themselves to sitting on them and didn't even apologize when asked to move!

Have not been to WDW in a scooter (will be next month) but was in DLand in Anaheim last year. I agree about the crowds especially in MK after the parade. It was very tough and slow go. One thing that was helpful though, for negotiating in the semi darkness through nightfall, was a bright light that I attached to the front of the scooter to use as a headlight and, moreso as a warning light. To that end, I aimed it slightly upwards so that people would see it. Additionally I put a flashing red light on the back of the scooter so people could see me. You can buy them quite inexpensively and pop them on and off as needed.
The only other thing I can add is have PATIENCE (deep breathing a bit of meditation sometimes helps)
Hope you enjoy your trip.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE - Next trip, aim that headlight *DOWN*, and turn the flashing light to solid!!!

I understand the temptation - I truly do - but when you aim a headlight upwards, you are quite possibly blinding the little ones in strollers. It's tough enough for them - they sit lower to the ground than we do on our ECVs, and often can't see anything other than a sea of legs & butts. But lights aimed directly at their eyes, or flashing lights right at eye level, can cause children who are prone to seizures that are light-related to be in danger. Not to mention, it's kind of rude - how would you react if someone was pointing a bright light directly into your eyes, and you couldn't escape?

I don't want to be the person who ruins a childs trips to Disney World.

I too have a headlight on my ECV, but I make sure it points DOWN to create a large pool of light on the ground in front of the ECV. I have a rear taillight that is a red light, and it too is aimed downward. Additionally, I have put undercarriage lighting under my personal scooter. I've had a lot of positive comments from both other Guests and CM's who remark that my lighting was very effective at night.

And yes - patience is key any time you are on wheels at WDW!!! I just let people go on around me - I'm at DISNEY WORLD, and I'm in no hurry to leave! ;)

on my last trip to Disney ( Saturday) some one in an ECV had Christmas light on there ECV. They were not blinking just little white light that really were not that bright ( I do not know if they had a way to turn down the brightness or not) but it was really cool and you could see her ECV quiet well and tell how big it was too.

the light were probable like mama bunny light are.

few glow sticks would problem do the same thing if you put them on the front and back of the ECV you can get about 30 for a $5

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter