First time in February

BrittyRo

DIS Veteran
I've gone in September, December, March and May (+ June in DL) but never in February. I'm going for 5 days around Valentine's Day. What can I expect (weather wise, crowd wise etc) Thanks!

Weather is a crap shoot. It can be 85F one day and 60F the next. Crowds were bad for our last trip due to Mardi Gras (seriously, the park looked like July 4th), but they're usually quiet times. You're missing President's Day weekend which is also a super busy time. Crowds shouldn't be too bad around Valentine's day.

I agree with schrammalot. We went over President's Day week in 2015 and it was cold!! 50's most of the time. I ended up having to buy some full socks (i usually wear tom's sneakers with just peds) and some gloves and a scarf. It may not be that cold this year, but I would definitely check weather.com as you approach the 10-day mark before check-in to see the forecast (which can STILL change, so keep checking). Bringing layers is your best bet so you are prepared for possible cold mornings and warmer afternoons.

In terms of crowds, yes, the week we went, it was quite busy - especially MK, but again, we went over a holiday week.

I'll tag on here and ask what early March crowds might be like? TP's has it at mostly 5's and 6's for my dates (3/1-9). I've been in April, May, Sept, Oct, Nov. & Dec., but not March yet. I personally can navigate the craziest of crowds, but am bringing my Dad who is a first timer and will turn 74 whilst we are there. He has absolutely no mobility issues, but if there is any craziness I should be aware of so I can prepare him, that would be good to know.

Cheerleaders. All the Values are booked solid that week

Why do you say it's all cheerleaders? Just because values are booked doesn't mean all are cheerleaders. I stay at a value and I'm definitely not a cheerleader. Just curious.

Why do you say it's all cheerleaders? Just because values are booked doesn't mean all are cheerleaders. I stay at a value and I'm definitely not a cheerleader. Just curious.
I believe what the PP meant was there is likely a big cheering competition of some sort and they are typically BIG groups and mostly stay at the value resorts. THat isn't to say that ALL at the value resorts at that time are cheerleaders, just that their presence is very likely to be felt.

Because your one reservation is not the reason that all values are booked solid that week. Other resorts are not booked solid. Last week I booked Coronado Springs for $119 a night that week which is an amazing rate. This means that capacity has not been reached at the mods. Early to Mid February is historically the time that there is a cheerleader invasion. The competitions themselves are only a few days, but often the teams come a few days early and/or tack a few days on the end of their trips

National Dance Team Championship (UDA)
Client Event
February 3 – February 5, 2017

National High School Cheerleading Championship (UCA)
Client Event
February 11 – February 12, 2017

Twirl Mania International Championship
Client Event
February 17 – February 20, 2017

Last edited:
I've been going every February for the past 10 years or so. Everyone so far is pretty spot on. We always plan around Mardi Gras (I think all of Louisiana goes to Disney when all the out of towners come to Mardi Gras!) and Presidents day. Since you're missing both it shouldn't be awful. It's not a generalized statement it's pretty true that cheerleaders take over the values those weeks! We stopped staying at the values a few years ago that time of year because of the insane amount of groups of cheerleaders. The weather can be 85 degrees or 50 degrees. Have to really watch the weather the week before and take cold stuff even if it might not be cold. At night can def get chilly! Pretty much all of my pictures over the past ten years have us in jackets at night but it's worth it. Parks are normally very manageable!

Thanks for all the info guys!! Yeah we booked last minute and all the values were booked sadly (that's where we normally stay) but staying at POFQ (which is nice and romantic for VD). I wish I could have found Coronado for 119$ !!!

We usually go in February and you can't beat the weather. Last year we went the 2nd week in February (Marti Gras/Cheerleaders) and it wasn't bad. We're bumping it up a week this year to Dance Team/Superbowl week to see if it lightens the crowds any.

We only went once in February and had one nice day where it was sunny and warm temps. All other days were cloudy/rainy, and temps 60-70.

From a crowd level, it wasn't wall to wall people. It was actually pretty decent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter