First solo trip to Disneyland HK

Snow Violet

Earning My Ears
So I'm going to be in Hong Kong for a few days (6/09-11/09) and being a huge Disney fan I'm obviously considering visiting Disneyland, but I'm a bit scared of doing so by myself. I'm a 22 y.o. female and I've done plenty of solo travelling (I recently spent 3 weeks in Indonesia by myself), just never to a theme park. In the past I've been to Disneyland Paris with family and friends and I'm afraid of feeling lonely if I go by myself as I associate Disneyland to so many memories with my loved ones. Has anyone been through something similar, and if so, how did you get over it? I would appreciate any advice and tips.

Hi :wave:, I'm an Indonesian :) I haven't traveled around Indonesia a lot, I've only been to few places in Java and Bali.
Last April I went to HKDL by myself. I was a little anxious about going to a theme park alone but it was fine. I visited during weekdays and most attractions were walk-on so I didn't spend too much time waiting. Have you ever looked for hidden Mickeys? Perhaps this is something you can do while waiting in line.
The longest waiting time for me was for parade and fireworks, and I used that to get online and catch up with news. Characters interactions were also great; they (the characters) and the handlers were very friendly so I didn't feel awkward. I got the first visit button which also helped for the interaction.
When I travel solo, I can spend whatever time I want to take photos without feeling guilty of making others wait for me.
My tips: get a local simcard so that you can share photos with your family and friends right away, though they may not see the post at that instant because of the time difference :p Hopefully that can help you to reduce chance of feeling lonely.
Enjoy HKDL, it's a small park but the crowd is low so you can get plenty done in 1 day.

Last edited:
Going solo is a great opportunity to really soak in the atmosphere and all the great Disney details. As Figarro mentioned, there aren't huge waits at HK, so you won't often find yourself with nothing to do or look at. Have something to keep you occupied during those times anyway - smartphone, book, camera etc (not sure if the park has free wifi though). I tend to do more snacking when I'm on my own rather than sitting down at a table on my own and eating a big meal. Mickey waffles, popcorn and Minnie ice-cream bars are all great options in HK. CMs are so friendly at HK and the characters are fantastic! If you're the kind of person who wants someone to talk to, I imagine you would find someone quite easily.

Going solo is nothing to be worried about!!!
I can't speak for HK specifically, but I've done DLR & WDW solo and absolutely LOVED both.
-If you do see something that makes you emotional, or makes you miss a memory with a friend, snap a picture, when you post it, tag them in it, or snap chat it to them right away! Better yet, facetime them during a parade/meet and greet so they get to experience things with you (this of course being if you have wifi...which you can rent portable wifi)
-I just take the time to enjoy everything and remember that i don't have to "keep up" with anyone, I take a LOT of photos, and spend the time doing what I want, eating where maybe friends wouldn't want to, getting to try that new thing that they've never wanted to stop for kinda thing.
-A first visit button is a great idea, or even an "i'm celebrating my first solo trip" kinda thing, sparks a conversation!!

I've done HKDL solo all 3 times I've been there and I've had a blast! It's really not all that different than any other solo travel to me- I just take each moment and enjoy. It helps me that I take notes to write a blog and sometimes go on social media- both of these help me share my joy with friends and family back home. Also, I enjoy people watching and smiles translate into any language.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter