• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Family things to do if rain is predicted for a full day.

crazymomof4

DIS Veteran
I'm trying to plan ahead for all scenarios. I know in Florida rain can pass through quickly and a short storm is no reason to leave the parks but what if rain is predicted for an entire day? If this happens what does your family do, or plan to do, in the Disney/Orlando area?

Hi,
We went in Dec. and it rained every day but one that we were there! And Dec. is supposed to be a low rain month! We just did everything anyway. The kids always had about 4 inches of wet at the bottom of their pants all the time. But we still had a blast!! One of my best memories is walking into Camp Minnie/Mickey at Animal Kingdom and seeing Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Daisy, and Santa Goofy just standing around - it was like they were waiting for us! Only one other family was there - I'm not kidding. I got some wonderful pictures there! Anyway, don't worry about the rain, it won't slow you down if you don't let it.

I agree completely with TigerLilly's Mom. When it rains, we just go about our business. We were there several years ago in December and had the exact same experience - five consecutive days of rain. We still did all the parks (AK wasn't open yet).

If just one day of rain is expected, we feel the best park in the rain is MK. The park is much more compact and attractions are all close together. You can do numerous attractions in Fantasyland, for example, and hardly step out in the rain at all. EPCOT, by comparison, is very spread out. You get pretty soaked walking from one pavillion to the next.

If trekking around in the rain really isn't your idea of fun, DisneyQuest is an option though expect it to be crowded in bad weather. Hotel hopping is a good way to spend a few hours. Start at one of the three monorail hotels. Visit the shops. See the sights. Then hop the monorail to the next, and then again to the third. Have lunch or dinner at one of them. There is plenty to see and some nice stores. And with the monorail, you can visit all 3 without ever stepping outside.

Steve

We just put on the ponchos and go on as normal! I'm concerned about the weather for our trip in a week, since the hurricane in Texas stirred up some storms....I'm not worried about it and it would probably be welcomed since it's gonna be hot!

we just go out as well, put some shoes on that are ok in the rain (ie no trainers), and a poncho and away we go. The parks are so quiet in the rain, that it makes for a really nice experience - no lines, practically private audiences with the characters etc.

Bev

and keep on going!!

I have many photos of a sea of yellow with a wet castle-cake in the background!

When we went to Disney World in November 2000, it rained only one day, but on that day it rained all day! We happened to have planned to visit Blizzard Beach that day. We spent a few hours at Blizzard Beach in a gentle rain, and we were wet anyway, so the rain didn't bother us. It was a little chilly, so we practically had the place to ourselves, and tried all the slides several times. After a few hours, Blizzard Beach was closed because it began to thunder, so we went back to our resort and changed into our clothes. We went to Downtown Disney, and again, the rain didn't bother us much at all. It gave us a chance to leisurely explore the shops. We then headed over to the Poly (we were staying at the All Stars) and caught the monorail. We transferred to the Epcot monorail and were able to ride up front with the pilot, one of our most memorable Disney experiences! Our rain day was just as magical as our other days at Disney.

While we were at the AKL last November, it rained for the day so we did the Hidden Mickey search - stop by the front desk and ask for the list and off you go - it was a great family activity that had all four of us looking up and down, all around. CMs would see us searching and offer help. When we finished, the boys turned their completed lists in to be "graded" and received a special Mickey trading card. We had so much fun with that one, we took a ride over to the Wilderness Lodge and did their Hidden Mickey search as well - a little bit more involved and no special trading card at the end but the boys really enjoyed it and we had a chance to see another resort!

Would also second the DisneyQuest idea although it tends to get crowded on rainy days. DW wife always enjoys Character Warehouse and Character Prem-Ear (regardless of the weather).

Another vote for don't let a little rain stop you! Just be sure to wear clothes that don't bind if they get damp (like jeans!).

Also - NO the castle does not look like a giant cake anymore!!!

Thank goodness - that was not one of Disney's better ideas!

Get rain ponches and enjoy the lower crowds because many people allow the rain to chase them out of the parks. :smooth:

jeannej

Well after reading all of these replies, if we get a day of rain......just add us to the list of plastic-covered, soggy-shoe'ed, smilie-faced tourists enjoying the reduced crowds in WDW!!!!

With the ponchos over us, the 6 of us will look like a set of walking patio furniture, minus the table!!!:p

If the rain gets to be too much we had a great day at the monorail resorts. We did the arcades and shopping at all three, had dinner at 'Ohana and managed to stay warm and dry.

If you have a really small child I had the best luck holding DD (8 months old) in a snugli carrier instead of a stroller and altered my poncho so she was open and carried an umbrella. On the cooler days I included a blanket wrapped around her legs. It was way easier than a stroller would have been. She napped really well hanging there, but it was a little tough to eat, had to be careful not to drip on her head!

Originally posted by ahutton
If the rain gets to be too much we had a great day at the monorail resorts. We did the arcades and shopping at all three, had dinner at 'Ohana and managed to stay warm and dry.

If you have a really small child I had the best luck holding DD (8 months old) in a snugli carrier instead of a stroller and altered my poncho so she was open and carried an umbrella. On the cooler days I included a blanket wrapped around her legs. It was way easier than a stroller would have been. She napped really well hanging there, but it was a little tough to eat, had to be careful not to drip on her head!

Our youngest (DD) is 2 and a bit heavy for a snugli but you reminded me of a trip we took to Lancaster, PA when she was 11 weeks old. I carried her all over in that snugli, even nursed her through the slits while walking around! I felt like I was pregnant w/ her all over again!:)
The monorail tour of the resorts sounds like fun. My DS's 11&14 would love the arcades! I'll keep it in mind and start setting aside some quarters now.

We were in WDW last December when they had the record breaking rains, too! We did the poncho thing for a couple of days, but on the third day we went resort hopping on the monorail like another poster did, but on the fourth day we were back in the ponchos!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter