Family of 6 Minimalist Packing Orlando/Disney in Feb

castoral

Mouseketeer
This will be our 4th tried since 2013 with one other in Feb (but it was lows in 60s/highs in mid 80s). Typically I was the mom with everything and the kitchen sink, matching outfits each day with a change before dinner. I had everything "just in case." I'm done with the stress though. We've been on a minimalist journey the past year and this is a huge area I'd like to change.

Kids are age 9,7,6 and 3 so we will only have a single BOB this trip. I've seen other post on minimalist park bags so I'm good there.

We are driving though, with a stay in TN half way down. We then will be at Wyndham Bonnet Creek Feb 3-6th (where we plan to cook in each day), then Poly DVC Feb 6-11th (on dining plan). What would you pack during that time frame?

when we've been down during this timeframe it's usually been in the 70's, possible low 80's during the day, but then can really drop temps in the evening. I personally was still in shorts and a T, possibly with a light jacket, but my wife basically packed shorts and t's for everyone with a pair or 2 black or gray pants that would match any shirt if needed.

I think the Uniqlo ultra light down jackets are indispensable for the colder months at Disney. They squish to a really small size, so I can even bring it with me to the parks in my small handbag and use it at night. They can be expensive if they're not on sale... Costco has a really similar one right now for $20. It saves a lot of room by not having to pack a regular coat or too many sweatshirts.

Here is my packing list I came up with:

In car:
Softsided cooler with waters, lunch, snacks
DVDs in binder
1 read along book
ipads
binder for coloring
small pouch of word games/activities to act out and do
MacBook
1 blanket per kid
1 single BOB stroller

Overnight bag for trip down: each person - 1 swimsuit, pjs, change of clothes (pants, short sleeve shirt, undies, socks), power strip, chargers

Main bags:
Boys - another swim suit, another pair pjs, 3 pairs shorts (khaki, grey, black...5 bottoms total with two pairs of pants in laundry at this point), 1 sweatshirt (my boys live in their UA sweatshirts), 4 short sleeve, 2 long sleeve shirt, 3 pairs undies, 3 pairs socks (5 pairs total), crocs, hat

Girls - another swim suit, another pair pjs, another pair leggings, 2 pairs shorts, 2 short sleeve, 2 long sleeve, 1 dress, 3 more pairs undies and socks, crocs

Husband - 3 pairs undies and socks, 3 shorts (khaki and grey UA golf, black athletic), 2 more short sleeve, 2 long sleeve, 1 polo, 1 more swim suit, 2 pjs, 1 sweatshirt, 1 hat

Me - hahahaha, will take WAY more planning

Toiletries - small first aid kit, moleskin and small scissors, travel pack doterra shampoo/conditioner, 1 razor, small shaving cream, 2 deodorant, 6 toothbrushes, kids toothpaste, adult toothpaste, floss, eyeglasses, contracts/holder, solution, brush/clip, straightner, skin care, sunscreen, small makeup bag, 2 extra towels (staying DVC), few tide pods, stain remover, sunglasses, chapstick, pop up hamper

Park Bag - gift cards, tickets, Magic Bands, lanyards and pins, camera, wallet, Hidden Mickey book, autograph book and 2 sharpies, 6 small ponchos, bag of pennies/quarters, smashed penny book

Family of 5 here, our 3 kids are similar ages. I am heading down tomorrow (!!!!) and have opted to pack only carry-ons. We have also stayed in February, and I think our packing plan could work then, too. I am assuming access to laundry, planning to do a load half-way through trip. Each person has:
3 pairs pants for girls (including the 1 we are wearing.) 2 of these pairs are leggings for layering under skirts/dress, 2 pairs boys (the boy will wear shorts if 45 degrees.)
3 pairs shorts (or a skirt)
5 t-shirts or a dress counts as a t-shirt (including what we have on on plane.)
2 pairs pjs
2 bathing suits (this is my most important to have multiple of, as I don't like to put wet suits back on and we swim everyday)
A pair of crocs/keens (wearing sneakers on plane)
A fleece coat or ultralight down coat (our forecast looks warm, so will likely take fleece, but my last Feb. trip I swore never without a winter coat again, as it was 32 degrees on one of our MK days. SDMT was freeeeeezing!)
A knit hat and gloves, ball cap for me (I hate sun in eyes)
5 pairs undies and socks
All of this has fit really easily in 3 rollaboards. (DH is packing separately). I have learned not to bring anything for kids to play with except a comfort stuffy, book or two, and their tablets. This leaves room in their backpacks for a coat/shoes/etc. I know driving is another can of worms. Have a great trip!

Not an item to pack, but I would set aside money for a rental stroller, just in case. You may find that after a few days the 6 or 7 year old may need to ride a bit, especially at Epcot or the Animal Kingdom. And if you don't need to use the money splurge for something nice at the end of the trip.

How about extra shoes and/or flip flops? And I second the idea suggestion of hats and gloves

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter