Fall/Winter AP rate news!

keys2kingdom said:
Yes, it's my understanding that it's all one pool with 'Best Rate' people getting the first shot. Call-ins will get what's leftover.
Yep this is my understanding as well. Also call-ins may not get the same rate as those who have booked online. Belle

I booked my trip for 10-18 thru 10-24 at WL. I am new to WDW and AP as well. my first trip was the week of May 9th. I tried getting into the best rate link but will accept only 10-22 dates. Does anyone know if I will be able to get the best rates if I call?

Thanks!

Anything under 120 or further out will not be accepted under the online program. You may get a rate that matches what you would have gotten online but that is not guaranteed. The Best discounts that can be obtained are supposed to be through the online booking site. As regular AP rates havent been issued for that time period as of yet, I dont think anyone can make the comparison. Belle

well that is a good question. I wish I had a better answer but I wouldnt know!! Right now if you book a room you are booking at rack rate with no discount. If an AP discount is announced, you have to call back and see if they have a room in the resort you wanted, in the category you wanted, for the dates you wanted. IF they do, they you can switch over to the AP rate. If not, can you be flexible with either your dates, resort choice or both? The bottom line is that I dont think that if you book now you will have any advantage over someone who is waiting for the AP rates to be issued. Belle

It sounds like things are starting to become more uniform across departments now (FINALLY!) as far as answers go. Sounds like they have recently had some sort of meeting to hammer out some answers. Here are the details I now have answered per my sales rep:

(1) Is this going to be the only way to book AP rates?

Official answer on call in rates...they are not doing away with call in rates. They can not promise them either because it will depend on how many rooms are booked through best rate. If the rooms allocated for AP discounts are not sold out through best rate, then they will be available for call in. There may be a gap in booking time, as in at 121 days you can no longer book best rate but you may not be able to call in untill say 90 days (just an example, not new policy). The price for call in rates will be set based on how many rooms are still available. They will not be lower than best rate program rates. As of now call in rates will still have the same cancellation policy (an aside though, I wouldn't be surprised if it were changed to 45 days since the online booking cancellation policy is 45 days. They are hoping to encourage more online booking and it certainly doesn't encourage online booking if the cancellation policy is better for call ins!).

(2) Matching passholder rates...

There is still some discrepancy on what they consider to be a "general public rate" (does it include passholder rates or not? one department seems to say yes and another says no) but what everyone agrees with is that call in passholder rates will NOT be lower than online best rate prices. Depending on how many rooms are left to fill they will either be the same or slightly higher (think 6-10% higher). As my sales agent put it "if we call it the passholder best rate program and then we offer a better passholder rate later on we are going to have a lot of angry passholders! We want to see this program succeed and if word gets out that you can get a better rate by waiting then there is no point to offering the program at all." So far it sounds as though they are happy with the results of the program. I sincerely doubt it will ever be an issue. If they have difficulty reaching target occupancy they can offer rates to everyone that are slightly higher than passholder rates and people will jump on it faster than you can say pixie dust! In a year when discounts for the general public have been all but nonexistant, they aren't going to need to drop them lower than the best rate offers.

(3) Booking more than one room at best rate...

They aren't trying to prevent you from holding more than one room if you have a large party, it is just a limitation of the software they are using. You can book more than one, you just have to do them one at a time. They are aware of this issue and are working to improve it.

(4) If you book using the best rate program link but you book a rack rate room because a "best rate" room wasn't available then you are NOT in the best rate program. Your cancellation policy should be 45 days rather than non refundable and your rate will not be adjusted down. If you booked at rack, check your confirmation email carefully to make sure you are clear on what it says.

(5) Keep trying back if your date is sold out. As someone starts the booking process, that room gets pulled from inventory, if they abandon the process it may take a few minutes for the room to go back to available.

(6) Change fee...just confirming again that the change fee is waived if the total price of your reservation remains the same or is increased. The change fee will only be assesed if the total cost decreases. GUest services DOES have this in writing so it is not an "unofficial policy." This has been the case with package change fees for some time now.

(7) No payments can be made over the phone. Everything must be done online.

(8) Example of rates that won't be matched:
-pin codes
-travel industry discounts
-group rates
-AAA rates
-convention rates
-any discount offered by a certain emloyer
-cast member rates
-package discounts where the discount is on something other than the room

It sounds like they have received a lot of email about if they will match AP rates. They are basically telling us not to get hung up in the sematics of the description, that the bottom line is they will not release passholder rates that are less than these we are seeing through the best rate program. It is called "BEST RATE PROGRAM" for a reason. ;) Basically, assume the rate you are quoted is what you will pay. The "we will reduce your rate" thing is a great hook but do they really need to reduce it? not likely now that occupancy is up considerably from last year.

I had joked that I was going to make my blood pressure skyrocket worrying about recommending to certain clients that they take advantage of this program and having it come back to bit me. Our sales agent told me to "relax" over it; that provided that they are well informed of the cancellation policy, that clients booked with this won't be disappointed because there is not going to be a better room only offer. So now I just have to worry about people ordering a pass and having the room available when it arrives!

Lollipop Mom said:
It sounds like things are starting to become more uniform across departments now (FINALLY!) as far as answers go. Sounds like they have recently had some sort of meeting to hammer out some answers. Here are the details I now have answered per my sales rep:

(1) Is this going to be the only way to book AP rates?

Official answer on call in rates...they are not doing away with call in rates. They can not promise them either because it will depend on how many rooms are booked through best rate. If the rooms allocated for AP discounts are not sold out through best rate, then they will be available for call in. There may be a gap in booking time, as in at 121 days you can no longer book best rate but you may not be able to call in untill say 90 days (just an example, not new policy). The price for call in rates will be set based on how many rooms are still available. They will not be lower than best rate program rates. As of now call in rates will still have the same cancellation policy (an aside though, I wouldn't be surprised if it were changed to 45 days since the online booking cancellation policy is 45 days. They are hoping to encourage more online booking and it certainly doesn't encourage online booking if the cancellation policy is better for call ins!).

(2) Matching passholder rates...

There is still some discrepancy on what they consider to be a "general public rate" (does it include passholder rates or not? one department seems to say yes and another says no) but what everyone agrees with is that call in passholder rates will NOT be lower than online best rate prices. Depending on how many rooms are left to fill they will either be the same or slightly higher (think 6-10% higher). As my sales agent put it "if we call it the passholder best rate program and then we offer a better passholder rate later on we are going to have a lot of angry passholders! We want to see this program succeed and if word gets out that you can get a better rate by waiting then there is no point to offering the program at all." So far it sounds as though they are happy with the results of the program. I sincerely doubt it will ever be an issue. If they have difficulty reaching target occupancy they can offer rates to everyone that are slightly higher than passholder rates and people will jump on it faster than you can say pixie dust! In a year when discounts for the general public have been all but nonexistant, they aren't going to need to drop them lower than the best rate offers.

(3) Booking more than one room at best rate...

They aren't trying to prevent you from holding more than one room if you have a large party, it is just a limitation of the software they are using. You can book more than one, you just have to do them one at a time. They are aware of this issue and are working to improve it.

(4) If you book using the best rate program link but you book a rack rate room because a "best rate" room wasn't available then you are NOT in the best rate program. Your cancellation policy should be 45 days rather than non refundable and your rate will not be adjusted down. If you booked at rack, check your confirmation email carefully to make sure you are clear on what it says.

(5) Keep trying back if your date is sold out. As someone starts the booking process, that room gets pulled from inventory, if they abandon the process it may take a few minutes for the room to go back to available.

(6) Change fee...just confirming again that the change fee is waived if the total price of your reservation remains the same or is increased. The change fee will only be assesed if the total cost decreases. GUest services DOES have this in writing so it is not an "unofficial policy." This has been the case with package change fees for some time now.

(7) No payments can be made over the phone. Everything must be done online.

(8) Example of rates that won't be matched:
-pin codes
-travel industry discounts
-group rates
-AAA rates
-convention rates
-any discount offered by a certain emloyer
-cast member rates
-package discounts where the discount is on something other than the room

It sounds like they have received a lot of email about if they will match AP rates. They are basically telling us not to get hung up in the sematics of the description, that the bottom line is they will not release passholder rates that are less than these we are seeing through the best rate program. It is called "BEST RATE PROGRAM" for a reason. ;) Basically, assume the rate you are quoted is what you will pay. The "we will reduce your rate" thing is a great hook but do they really need to reduce it? not likely now that occupancy is up considerably from last year.

I had joked that I was going to make my blood pressure skyrocket worrying about recommending to certain clients that they take advantage of this program and having it come back to bit me. Our sales agent told me to "relax" over it; that provided that they are well informed of the cancellation policy, that clients booked with this won't be disappointed because there is not going to be a better room only offer. So now I just have to worry about people ordering a pass and having the room available when it arrives!
:worship: :worship: :worship: Belle

Personally I think this program is great and the way of the future.

I booked Beach Club for $224.00 a night. This is not the rack rate. The rack rate is #294.00 a night.

I am guaranteed the discount rate, I do not have to check the board everyday to see when the Passholder rated go in effect for December.

If you book your vacation and you get the rack rate, try, try try again,
It took me 3 times to get this rate.

I have my airline tickets so I am locked into certain dates.
I think paying $1998.00 for 8 nights at the Beach Club is a good price.

Can someone explain to me again how to get to this portion of the passholder website? It seems I just have to keep logging in over and over and over again.

I did manage to download the screensaver though - it's cute! I just wish I could find the old Walt w/Mickey statue and castle wallpaper I had from the 100 years celebration. A reformatted hard drive messes up everything. :rolleyes:

So do you just keep looking on the site until the "lower rate" appears? OR do you book it and sooner or alter the rate will be lower? How EARLY can you book? I know it has to be less than 120 days, but could I book a room NOW for March 2006 spring break, as long as I am willing to pay the deposit and not know what the rate will actually be? If I only book one night (we have DVC) and then the rate goes lower as planned, will they issue me a refund?

Yes you have to know your hotel rates ahead of time. This way you will recognize a discounted rate.

For anyone not knowing how to access the site here are instructions
1 You have to be an annual Passholder

On Page 1 you will be asked to sign in using your personal passholder information which is on the back of your annual pass. Hit Submit

On Page 2 brings you to a menu on the left hand side. Go to SPECIAL OFFERS

On Page 3 on the left hand sude it says Passholder Progam Best Rate Hit that and another page will come up asking for when to note your requests.

Remember just because you go trough this you are not liable for anything until you give them a credit card number.

As far as I know this offer is only good until Dec 19th.
I think it is a Pilot program and it will be continued in the future.

Be carefull not to take too long they will time you out.

KEEP TRYING UNTIL YOU GET THE RATE YOU WANT.

Shirley, it sounds like you are definitely able to SEE the rate you are getting, as opposed to it being listed as rack rate and them applying the discount for you. Is that right? I guess this is because you are traveling soon and a discounted rate is already listed for your travel times? From all the posts about how this program would work (thanks, LollipopMom) it had sounded like you would have to book at rack rate and that LATER a discounted rate would appear.

So when do we start looking for discounts for Spring 06? :)

I would know a discounted rate if I saw one! :)

"(4) If you book using the best rate program link but you book a rack rate room because a "best rate" room wasn't available then you are NOT in the best rate program. Your cancellation policy should be 45 days rather than non refundable and your rate will not be adjusted down. If you booked at rack, check your confirmation email carefully to make sure you are clear on what it says" (quoted from LOLLIPOP MOMs' post)

Colleen costello:
Hi This is what LOLLIPOP MOM, had to say about rack rates showing up!! I read it to mean if you get the rack rate you are not in the "BEST RATE PROGRAM," and your rate will not be lowered at a later date!
Many people booked the rack rate thinking that they will have a lowered rate later, but she said that is not going to happen!!

I am learning with everyone, but that is how I take what she said! Others may have a different understanding of it!! GOOD LUCK!!! :confused3 !

:earsgirl: shopgirl(arly)

I booked over a month ago. I didn't even get a confirmation email. I only have my confirmation # they gave over the phone. I guess I'm stuck now with rack rates!!

my understanding is that if you booked a room and dates for that period were NOT available at the discount, that you may have been booked at Rack Rate To see if you were booked at Rack rate, go to the regular Disneyworld website and run the dates you choose and the hotel you choose. If the amount you get is the same as what you booked at, go back into the website. I havent seen this done but my understanding is that if a discount was applied after your booking you will be able to see this online. If the rate is still the same you were booked with a regular rack rate, and can cancel up to 46 days out. Hope this helps, Belle

Colleen, when you see one please let me know as I am in dire need of a WDW vacation NOW!!!! :cool1:

Slightly Goofy/Linda

I just checked The Beach Club rates today for December. They are discounted down to 224.00 a night.

I had reservations all over the place. I had one at the Beach club regular rate $294.00 a night.

When I saw the Best Rates sight I booked right away. Got my confirmation right away through e-mail

Cancelled the rack rate Beach Club. I also had a AP discount at Riverside cancelled that and they refunded me my money.

We have 3 maybe 4 people going this why we had to go to a bigger room.

Linda, you have been too long away from Mickey but far be it from me to lecture YOU on bargains -- I know you are great at finding them. I know you have enjoyed POP! and suspect you will find good rates there, soon. What I dread is using the computer to book. I LIKE talking to a real person, especially one in Florida!

Is it too soon to start looking for rates for March? I am visiting my parents and don't have my AP's with me so I can't access the site.

Is the site acknowleding vouchers yet?

Colleen, Yep, I are the queen of cheap. LOL It is the Sports I adore. Being deaf has its advantages ya know. LOL The main reason I like the AS is cause they are at the end of the road and even I cannot get lost. (have been known to go the wrong direction on Buena Vista though and have to turn around though)

There is no such thing as being too early or too late in making plans to go to Disney, just as long as you have a trip in the plans.

Your mom looks like a nice lady, if she wants to adopt me I can be there in April. (grin)

See you in the Suite!!

SG/Linda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter