• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

F&W card vs magic band use

princessdi

LoveMeSomeWDW
there is the food and wine giftcards wearable to the wrist but i dont get why. Why not just use the magic band if a resort guest? Am imissing something?? Thanks!

Not everyone is a resort guest and can charge to their rooms.
A gift card has a set spending limit
F&W is a huge local draw, and a gift card is a simple way to cover an event that spans several months
If the system goes down, you can still make purchases

there is the food and wine giftcards wearable to the wrist but i dont get why. Why not just use the magic band if a resort guest? Am imissing something?? Thanks!
The cards were in existence before magic bands so I think it's just something people became accustomed to.

Also, some people prefer having a hard cutoff. When using a magic band it might be harder to limit yourself/track expenses if you link it to a card with more funds available than you want to have available.

The cards have to be activated with $200 and can be reloaded with $50 correct?
Can the card be used at all Disney locations or fw ones only?

Unless something has changed this year they are just regular gift cards and can have any amount over $15 (I think is the minimum) put on it. It can be topped up as many times as you like. I'm still using the card we got 4 years ago.

I for one never set up charging on our MBs.

I need to see cash leave my hand or things get out of hand!

We put a set amount on a GC to avoid shock when we get our bill at the end of our stay.

Every one has their method. That's the one that works best for us.

No, at flower and Garden the minimum on the cards was $15. It's just a gift card, and as such can be used anywhere on property, for food, merchandise, or services.
This. We've used them on souvenirs, dinner at Narcoossee's, bad ally anywhere you can use a Disney gift card.

We get on because we prefer to not have the small amounts show up on our room bill. It makes it easier for us to make sure the bill is accurate, and sometimes it isn't.

Also the wearable gift card gives you a balance after each transaction, it's fast and easy to use.
The mb takes more time cause you have to input your pin number
As others have said the gift card is more convenient, I'm a local and save up for food and wine, I get the wearable card, load it up with the amount I'm planning on spending and that way i have my limit.

These little GC wristbands are also themed to this year's F&W Festival and so makes a nice keepsake. Enjoy!

Gift cards are good if you want to stick to a budget. Just don't reload it.

I suppose it is one fewer steps because you don't enter a PIN with a gift card. Although it takes maybe 5 seconds to enter the PIN unless you have enormous fingers and can't type on that tiny pad. But it is either way - if you prefer to use a magic band that works fine, if you prefer a gift card that works fine too.

Not everyone is a resort guest and can charge to their rooms.

And not everyone wants to charge to the room.

The cards were in existence before magic bands so I think it's just something people became accustomed to.

Yep!

We get on because we prefer to not have the small amounts show up on our room bill.

Agreed.

Also the wearable gift card gives you a balance after each transaction

So convenient that the balance is given like that.

I think that a lot of people like to use the gift card as a way to set themselves a limit. With the MB, you can keep charging and charging and not think about how much it's adding up, and it doesn't stop. With the gift card, when you've reached your spending limit, the card has a zero balance and won't work anymore.

where do you get the wearable gift card? can i transfer a funds from a regular Disney gift card to it?

They sell them in Epcot during festival time. There are little kiosks where they sell festival merchandise. They are likely also available at the festival center Wonders of Life Pavilion), but I never looked there. I use the Disney gift card website to transfer and combine my gift cards.

https://www.disneygiftcard.com

We prefer to still use the wristband gift card. We can better track our spending this way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter