Everything you need to know about WDW Christmas- Tips & Secrets

DisneyChristian

Earning my Mouse Ears
Sorry if someone already started a Thread about this topic. But we are heading to Disney World for the first time for the Christmas Season so we want to know all the tips and secrets of what we should see and do at WDW for the Holidays. And since it is July, I figured a little "Christmas in July" talk would be wonderful! So we want to hear all the juicy details, even the small ones! Hope everyone has fun with this :yay: :santa:

Just wanted to be the first, DisneyChristian, to Welcome you to the DIS!

http://www.wdwinfo.com/holidays/christmas_world.htm

Check out the December Events page, and be sure to pick up a good guide book from your local bookstore. Many Dis'er like The Passporter by Jennifer Marx, or the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World by Bob Sehlinger and Len Testa.

Tour Guide Mike is a DisBoards sponsor and gets good reviews for his service. Click on his banner at the top of the page.

Mid December is a great time to go, just avoid Christmas and New Year's weeks.

Have a great time planning your trip!

Just wanted to be the first, DisneyChristian, to Welcome you to the DIS!

Check out the December Events page, and be sure to pick up a good guide book from your local bookstore. Many Dis'er like The Passporter by Jennifer Marx, or the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World by Bob Sehlinger and Len Testa.

Tour Guide Mike is a DisBoards sponsor and gets good reviews for his service. Click on his banner at the top of the page.

Mid December is a great time to go, just avoid Christmas and New Year's weeks.

Have a great time planning your trip!

Thanks for the welcome! We have visited Walt Disney World one, or two, or a few times lol, it is just our first time to Disney World for the holidays. We already know all about the MVMCP, Candlelight Processional, Osborne Family Spectacle of Lights, etc but thank you for pointing us to that page! The books you recommended are very good books. We buy a new edition about every two years. It is fun to go back and reminisce about the old attractions, shows, events, and restaurants. I sure do sometimes wish the Disney Brass wouldn't have gotten rid of some of them.

Anyways, We were hoping to hear about some of the tips and secrets we should check out or keep an eye out for at Downtown Disney, the various Resorts, attractions, shows, etc that pertain to the Holidays. ie like the giant Christmas Tree at the Contemporary, any rides that had an added Christmas theme, where you could get free cocoa, where kids can make free ornaments, where you can get free cookies, special Christmas stage shows, unique decorations, holiday magical moments, etc.

I'm not sure if it occurs during your trip or not, but the Disney ABC Christmas parade is usually taped in the Magic Kingdom the first weekend of December. :santa:

I read on another thread (or maybe a trip report???) that if you go to Camp Minnie Mickey in AK, they have several decorated Christmas trees. I've put it in my notes for our Christmas trip!

I'll be going right after Thanksgiving, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed I can see as much as possible in a 3 1/2 day trip...eeek!

Anyway... I've heard there is a life size gingerbread house in the Grand Floridian.

Going in December is amazing! :yay: We went last year and loved it so much we are going back this year!!! There will be decorations everywhere you look! And so many holiday items to buy in the store, I think I bought every ornament they sold! And they were 40% off in mid-December! Yay! We loved the Osborne Lights (they even make it snow!). And MVMCP should not be missed! It was magical and worth every penny! The resorts are all decorated and are beautiful! If I knew how to post photos I would but I can't figure it out. :rotfl:Sorry! Trust me, you will love it! Have a wonderful trip!

Hey DisneyChristian, welcome to the Dis.

:welcome:

I love WDW at Christmastime.

I hope this helps.
http://mousinaround.com/christmastimeinwaltdisneyworld.aspx

Magic Kingdom:
Mickey's Very merry Christmas Party
Decorations
Parade
Tree Lighting

EPCOT:
Tree Lighting
CandleLight Processional
Storytellers in the different countries
Decorations
Artist meet & greets

Disney Studios:
Osbourne Lights
Decorations

Animal Kingdom:
Jingle Jungle Parade
Decorations

There is also a yuletide tour
Sleigh ride
all of the resorts are decorated

Also - check out this site: http://allears.net/pl/events.htm#dec (this gets updated often)

This is our first Christmas season at WDW too, so I'm excited to see what everyone posts.

My tips would be:
Watch Illuminations whilst standing on the bridge between England and France. When the extra fireworks go off for the holiday ending you can really feel them stood on the bridge!

Try to see the Osbourne Lights when Fantasmic is also on, the streets will be a little less crowded.

If you are there on New Years Eve to watch the fireworks remember that in MK and DHS you can walk through the shops to exit the park. We did this at DHS when the street towards the exit was jam packed, we walked through the shops and go out of the park very quickly.

Make a day to tour all the deluxe resorts to look at all their decorations, it is well worth it. My favourites are the life size gingerbread house in the Grand Californian and the life sized gingerbread carousel with chocolate horses in the Beach Club.

Watch the candle light processional, it is very moving.

And my final tip would be, if you are there on Christmas day avoid the parks!! MK and Epcot all closed the year we were there due to capacity crowds!

We love WDW at Christmas, due to DH and I being teachers we have to go for 2 weeks around Christmas and New Year. We did this a few years ago and will be there again for Christmas 2010. With some good planning you will hardly notice the crowds and will have an amazing trip.

if your going to Candlelight Processional get in line early it fills up fast especially closer to christmas its really a great show if your there for new years eve be prepared to arrive early and stay late the parks fill up before noon and admission stops
mvmcp is a seperate ticket but worth it has free hot chocolate & cookies a seperate parade too not to be missed
you can still swim in december so bring your suits pools are heated and water parks are open
i go for the month of december i bring a jacket.. sweats..jeans & shorts the weather can go either way early in the morning you need a jacket in the afternoon shorts and in the evening back to a jacket
if your going to be near water like epcot..DTD..or boardwalk it gets quite cool in the evening if time permits go to the different resorts to see the different gingerbread houses if thats not possible at least do the resorts on the monorail route GF is a great don't miss FW the campers decorate too something to see the camp grounds also have a free campfire with marshmellows for sale to roast
when i asked my husband for his input he suggested bring plently of MONEY LOL it is the most magical season

I am so glad this thread got started / redone. We have made five trips in the summer. This will be our first trip not in summer. I am a teacher and just can not be away. Our family loves Christmas, so we will love the extra details.

I have one question about crowds. I know it gets more crowded the closer you get to Christmas day. That would most likely be our last day. In the park. I am more wondering about the days leading up to the 25th. How will those days compare to a June type day? We are used to crowded.

the closer to christmas the more crowded it gets parks fill up early and will be closed to admission about noon

I read on another thread (or maybe a trip report???) that if you go to Camp Minnie Mickey in AK, they have several decorated Christmas trees.

More than several. I think we counted 12-15 when we went last year. They're not really advertised, but you cant' miss them if you are looking for them. See if you can guess the themes on each before you look at the signs!

Wow! Everyone has had some great tips and secrets so far. We are definitely excited about seeing the Ginger bread house in the Grand Floridian and the Ginger bread carousel at the Beach Club. We are going the second week of December from the 7th to 15th this year. Hopefully, it will be as little crowded as when we usually go in October and January. No way we would brave the crowds after the 18th of December lol. We are taking a check bag this year because of the clothing situation. It is tough having to bring both summer and fall clothing.

So this is something I heard about the Holidays, some of the rides like It's a Small World are decorated to show how the Holidays are celebrated around the World and that the Haunted Mansion is given a Nightmare Before Christmas decoration theme. I am not sure if that is true or not though. It might be that they only do that at Disneyland instead of Disney World. Can anyone verify that this is true?

Also, Debbie had this tip. At the Christmas Shoppe in Downtown Disney, in the very last room where they do the embroidery, look up. The the rafters look like lattice work. If you look carefully, you will see HMs in it.

Do the Restaurants do anything special for the Holidays too?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter