~Every bite was sheer perfection~ Victoria & Albert's - Our First Experience - 09/27

TinkerBelle_325

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone!

As many of you know, I have a full dining review going strong, and this review is featured there, but the meal was so perfect, so awe-inspiring that I had to post it as a stand alone with more detailed commentary.

There are not enough words to describe Victoria & Albert's in enough detail to actually understand the opulence of the experience....ok so opulence was my first "$10 word" in this review....shoot me, I'm a writer ;)

Let's just put it this way, we enjoyed the experience so much that we will be returning just shy of 6 months after our first visit.

The price tag is high, but for what you receive--a life experience--it is so very worth it. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to feel pampered beyond their wildest dreams, taste food that was prepared with a perfectionist's eye and be whisked back to a time when everyone "dressed" for dinner and meals were, in themselves, a source of entertainment.

And now, without much further adieu....

Victoria & Albert's - Our First Experience​

I now know what bliss feels like :cloud9:

I can honestly tell you that every single bite of everything I had at Victoria and Albert's was PERFECTION.

We arrived at 5:15pm and from the moment we walked through those frosted glass and polished wood doors we felt as though we were in another world. It was beautiful, dimly lit, elegant, opulent, and yet incredibly comfortable and inviting. Our meal was exceptionally long and paced impeccably. We left the restaurant at 8:55pm, after a tour of the kitchen.

We were seated at a table in the main room, near the entrance of the restaurant. I was thrilled as it was located directly under a pot light. This way my photos would turn out but the light was not glaring and did not take away from the overall atmosphere.

The service is flawless, your seat is pulled out, napkin placed across your lap, seat pushed in, ladies are offered stools for their purses. Shortly after we were seated Dan, one of our 3 servers for the evening came and filled our water glasses, offered pre-dinner drinks and explained that our serving team would consist of himself, Mike and another gentleman whose name I sadly cannot recall.

Here are some pictures of our table:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

As you can see, we were accepted relatively early for our 6pm reservation. I would say the first seating ended up being about 2/3rds full.

ry%3D400

Three of the most flawless red roses I have ever seen

ry%3D400

A lamp provides soft lighting

ry%3D400

Full Centerpiece

Mike, the second member of our serving team (who turned out to be our "primary" server) came to hand us each our menus. My DDad is allergic to white fleshed fish (but can eat tuna, salmon, shellfish etc) and both my DDad and I are allergic to mouldy cheeses such as blue.

Therefore, DMom, DDad and I received three different menus, varying only slightly from one another.

We were all given the same "amuse bouche" which Mike described as a "Celebration of Summer Tomato"

ry%3D400

I apologize in advance...I was so excited to try this that I accidently ate the majority of the top left corner before taking a picture :headache:

Starting from the top left corner we had:
ry%3D400

The chefs take on a Caprese salad - - buffalo mozzarella, heirloom cherry tomatoes, toasted pine nuts and extra virgin olive oil

I will start this off by saying that tomatoes are about the only ingredient I "hate" in their raw form, but there was no way I was leaving any piece of this amuse untouched. I still dislike the texture, but from a taste perspective this was creamy, tangy and rich. A great bright start to the meal. This was the "safest" and most traditional of the amuse offerings.

Top right corner:
ry%3D400

An organic hen's egg filled with roasted tomato and fennel custard

Once again, I thought "Oh great, they are batting a thousand, I really don't like fennel either" Oh my god was I wrong. The custard was silky, still warm and tasted like the most wonderful tomato sauce you could ever imagine. It was earthy, slightly sweet with a gentle acidity, I couldn't taste either the tomato or fennel independently, they were simply accents in an overall taste. My favourite of the amuse offerings.

Bottom right corner:
ry%3D400

Roma Tomato Sorbet with Olive Oil Powder

What amazed me most about this amuse was that I didn't touch it until VERY last and it was still perfectly cold and set. This was a brighter flavour than the custard and the olive oil powder tasted entirely different from the olive oil drizzled on the caprese salad. This was the most refreshing of the amuse offerings.

Bottom left corner:
ry%3D400

Sliver of heirloom tomato with a pesto and cherry tomato vinaigrette, topped with olive oil poached octopus.

I must admit, this was a bit scary at first. I've seen octopus many times and find it rather intimidating. However, as I looked at this amuse, I pondered the fact that I have eaten escargot and that this really can't be any "worse" (I love escargot btw :thumbsup2). It had a surprising texture, like a cross between chicken and shrimp, it was very lightly seasoned, allowing the natural "sea salt" flavour to come through. All in all I thought it was surprisingly good. This was the most risky amuse in my opinion.

Your order is taken all at once, Mike explained that this was to aid with the flow of the meal, no interruptions, just course after course of glorious food. Here are each of our choices for the evening:

Meg
Sesame Crusted Big Eye Tuna with Tat Soi Salad, Lotus chips, Tamari Honey Foam, Tuna Carpaccio topped with Tuna tartare and wasabi caviar

White King Salmon with California Asparagus, Crab Sphere and Sauce Béarnaise

Duck Breast, Duck Sausage with Rhubarb and Salsify and Duck Confit with Duck Prosciutto, with Cherry Reduction Sauce

Kurobuta Pork Tenderloin and Belly with Baby Beets, Root Vegetable Gratin and Sherry Bacon Vinaigrette

White Chocolate Gelato with Micro Spearmint and Tableside White Chocolate Shavings

Tanzanian Chocolate Pyramid with Hazelnut Crisp, Edible 24 carat gold and strawberries, Hawaiian Kona Chocolate Soufflé with Godiva Anglais, Peruvian Chocolate Ice Cream on Chocolate Puff Pastry

Dad
Sesame Crusted Big Eye Tuna with Tat Soi Salad, Lotus chips, Tamari Honey Foam, Tuna Carpaccio topped with Tuna tartare and wasabi caviar

Timbale of Ratatouille with 100 year old Balsamic

Duck Breast, Duck Sausage with Rhubarb and Salsify and Duck Confit with Duck Prosciutto, with Cherry Reduction Sauce

Niman Ranch Lamb with Fall Vegetables and Celery Root

Gouda Beemster XO, Coach Farm's Goat, 16 month aged parmigiano-reggiano and Thomasville Tomme

Caramelized Banana Gateau

Mom

Halibut with Zellwood Corn and Bamboo Rice Ragout

Poulet Rouge with Mushroom-Truffle Ragout, English Peas and Yellow Chanterrelles

Colston Bassett Stilton, Coach Farm's Goat, 16 month aged parmigiano-reggiano and Thomasville Tomme

Caramelized Banana Gateau

my mouth is watering!!

cant wait for the pictures for the next course!! Thank you so much for documenting and then sharing with us!!

Just before our first course the first of three bread courses was served.

French Baguette with Unsalted European Style Butter
ry%3D400

Mike explained that the butter is made from Vermont cream and that each bread course has a different butter pairing. The unsalted is paired with the baguette because true baguette should be appreciated for its flavor, therefore the lack of salt actually allowed you to taste the bread more.

This was heavenly! The bread was still warm, with a slight crust. Though it doesn't quite compare to authentic baguette I've had in Paris, it was the clostest I've ever come to that taste in North America.

Our first course, the Cold Appetizer was served shortly after the bread.

We all selected the Sesame Crusted Big Eye Tuna with Tat Soi Salad, Lotus chips, Tamari Honey Foam, Tuna Carpaccio topped with Tuna Tartare and wasabi caviar
ry%3D400

On the left was a tuna carpaccio, topped with a tuna tartare. This was very bright and citrusy in flavor. The cubes for the tartare were ever so slightly seared, as though they simply rolled the runa over a grill to provide additional texture. The lace thin carpaccio was like eating tuna paper, it simply melted away on your tongue.
ry%3D400

In the centre was the tamari honey foam, which paired well with both tuna offerings. Just above the foam was a bit of wasabi tobiko and a small piece of seabean.

On the right was the seared tuna, two generous slices, coated in sesame seeds and wasabi powder. This was layered like a napoleon with crispy lotus chips, tot soi (which is an asian mustard green related to bok choy) and crystallized ginger.
ry%3D400

Of the two, the offering on the right was out of this world! It was earthy and rich, and very addictive. I am not normally a fan on seasame seeds as I feel they can overpower a dish, but these were lightly toasted and nutty, providing a fantastic contrast to the cool meaty tuna and the earthy salty soy sauce. I could have eaten several of these but we still had 5 courses to go!

Our second course was the Fish Course. This course was slightly problematic for my Dad as he is allergic to white fleshed fish such as halibut, sole, snapper etc, but can eat red fleshed fish like tuna, salmon etc. He can also eat shelfish.

Normally, Dad would have been happy to select salmon, but this evening Victoria & Albert's had something very special on the menu, which I ordered:

White King Salmon with California Asparagus, Crab Sphere and Sauce Bearnaise
ry%3D400

Our server, Mike, explained that white king salmon is exceptionally rare. Only 5% of the wild king salmon is classified as white or ivory. The reason for the pale flesh is that the fish does not absorb the same chemical pigment as other salmon (by eating shrimp etc.). He explained that it was likely a once in a lifetime chance to eat this particular fish.

Dad was hesitant to try the fish, as it was white fleshed and could pose a risk for an allergic reaction.

I, on the other hand, am a big fan of salmon. I was excited to try something so rare. This tasted entirely different than red salmon, it was saltier, richer and had a slightly more dense texture. It paired very well with the Bearnaise and the asparagus. I was particularly fond of the slivers of asparagus on the plate. Topping the salmon was a "crab sphere" which was basically a perfectly executed crab cake.

My Mom adores white fish, but due to Dad's allergy it is exceptionally rare that we get to have it, so she jumped at the chance to order:

Halibut with Zellwood Corn and Bamboo Rice Ragout
ry%3D400

From what I can recall this was actually served with a corn ragout and a polenta rather than bamboo rice. DMom raved about it and was surprised by the large portion. She said the sweetness of the corn complimented the fish very well.

Dad wasn't particularly enthusiastic about ordering off the vegetarian menu as he had been hoping for a salmon or shellfish replacement for his course, however as soon as he saw the following item listed he was sold!

Timbale of Ratatouille with 100 year old Balsamic
ry%3D400

Ever since my Dad saw Ratatouille he has wanted to try the namesake dish, and what better place than at Victoria & Albert's??

The cylinder is made of a sliver of zucchini, with finely diced, rich and flavorful ratatouille in the centre. It was topped with a parmesan cracker, surrounded by peeled heirloom cherry tomatoes and finished with 3 drops of 100 year old balsamic (cleverly in hidden mickey form). Mike told us that those 3 drop equaled about $15 worth of balsamic :scared1:

I would kill to replicate this! The perfect dice made the vegetables indistinguishable from on another, taking away that visual distraction added to focusing on the flavor as a whole rather than its parts. I detest all the vegetables that make up ratatouille on their own, but this was fresh and earthy, as though the vegetables had been saturated in balsamic. Anyone who knows of umami - the sixth tate in Japanese culture - that is the PERFECT way to describe this dish.

Continuing with our phenomenal night at Victoria & Albert's, we still have 4 glorious courses to go!

After our fish course we were served the second bread:

Brioche with Chives, Garlic Shoots and Lemon Balm served with Herbed Butter.
ry%3D400

This was easily the best bread course! I have had brioche in Paris that hasn't been as good as this. The crust was crisp and flaky, the bread was buttery and airy. It was remarkable and I could have eaten an entire loaf! The herbs were delicate and complimented the richness of the bread by adding brightness and a "grassy" flavor. The butter was made with the same herbs but managed not to be overpowering.

Shortly after our second bread, our hot appetizer was presented. I must point out that in past V&A menus (I think 2007 and earlier) I noted that the hot appetizer was served as the second course, after the cold. I think the switch, fish course as second, is much better in terms of flow because the cold appetizer is seafood 99% of the time.

Just recently I have gotten very into duck, so when I was the next course I knew it was for me. Dad is also a big fan, especially of duck confit, so we each had:

Duck Breast, Duck Sausage with Rhubarb and Salsify and Duck Confit with Duck Proscuitto, with Cherry Reduction Sauce
ry%3D400

This was a wonderful dish, if you love duck, you will absolutely love this! From left to right there were two succulent slivers of duck breast, in the middle there was a housemade duck sausage with salsify and rhubarb, and on the right was a roulade of duck confit. Across the top of the plate was a cherry reduction that tasted like a red wine reduction with subtle fruity tones. Across the bottom was a puree of rhubarb.

The duck breast was cooked to a juicy medium, the sausage had a very light, savoury spice to it, which paired very well with the onion-y taste of salsify and the sour twang of rhubarb. The roulade was filled with tender, rich shards of perfect confit. All the pairings went perfectly with the cherry sauce.

Mom is not a fan of duck, but she adores mushrooms and chicken, so this was made for her:

Poulet Rouge with Mushroom-Truffle Ragout, English Peas and Yellow Chanterrelles
ry%3D400

The breast of poulet rouge was stuffed with thigh meat, and a wild mushroom and truffle duxelle. It was then rolled in panko bread crumbs. This was divine! I had one bite and wished I had chosen this course. I am not the biggest fan of mushrooms, but this was a blend of rich and earthy flavors as opposed to a distinct "mushroom" flavor.

After our hot appetizer we were presented with the last bread:

Multigrain with Wheat, Oats, Barely, Flax and Sunflower Seeds served with European Style Salted Butter
ry%3D400

Mike explained that most multigrain breads lack salt and that is often why they aren't devoured as white breads like baguette and brioche.

I was surprised I liked this bread as much as I did. Normally I am not a fan of multigrain, but this had a lovely crust and a flavor that was more along the lines of a perfect white bread with compliments from each of the grains added. The salted butter added the perfect punch and made the bread more "craveable."

You would think by know that we would be about ready to bust at the seams, with three courses remaining and having eaten so much already, but this was not the case. The portion sizes are yet another of the "perfect" elements of Victoria & Albert's. Each was enough to be satisfying, but not too much.

While we each contimplated the upgrades for the meat course, we had decided to try the meal as it was set for the prix fixe. After seeing many pictures of the following course I knew exactly what I wanted to order:

Kurobuta Pork Tenderloin and Belly with Baby Beets, Root Vegetable Gratin and Sherry Bacon Vinaigrette
ry%3D400

Our server explained that Kurobuta Pork is like "the pork our grandparents ate, rich, flavorful and moist" and he was exactly right. This was unlike any pork tenderloin I've ever eaten. It was served slightly more rare that I would usually order (I would say between medium and medium well). The picture makes it look shockingly rare and most of my friends have asked if I was trying to "kill myself" by eating raw pork :lmao: The pairings were spot on, the beets were sweet, the bacon sherry vinaigrette was smokey and the root vegetable gratin (potato, parsnip and turnip) was creamy and delightful. I am not a fan of turnip or parsnip, thinking them too bitter, but they were indistinguishable, they simple added a different of texture and subtly of flavor that you cannot achieve with potato alone. I nearly licked the plate clean.

I am not the eorld's biggest fan of lamb, not for moral reasons but simply because I don't like the taste that much. I find it can be very gamey. However, Mom & Dad adore it, so they opted for:

ry%3D400

The lamb was tender and not "gamey" in the slightest. The celery root puree is the green on the plate. The purple spheres are "marbles" or purple potato. The cylinder is made from crispy potato strings and filled with carrots, radishes etc. I believe the sauce beneath the lamb was a jus or reduction.

There was a brief pause between our meat course and our pre-dessert course.

I was torn between the cheese and the gelato. I adore cheese plates, but the ice cream lover in my HAD to try the house-made gelato, even though I am not a big fan of white chocolate.

White Chocolate Gelato with Micro Spearmint and Tableside White Chocolate Shavings
ry%3D400

I have never felt that white chocolate has flavor. Oh god was I wrong! It does have flavor, it is sweet and rich and wonderful. I could have eaten a bowl of this as my dessert :lmao: The tableside shavings add crunch to the delightfully smooth gelato and I am still marvelling at how they were able to serve this at the PERFECT temperature, not so cold that you struggle to get your spoon through, but not so soft that it becomes ice cream "soup."

Mom and Dad had no deliberation whatsoever, they wanted cheese! Because Dad and I are allergic to mouldy cheese, the blue on his plate was replaced by an aged gouda.

DMom - Colston Bassett Stilton, Coach Farm's Goat, 16 month aged parmigiano-reggiano and Thomasville Tomme

ry%3D400

DDad - Gouda Beemster XO, Coach Farm's Goat, 16 month aged parmigiano-reggiano and Thomasville Tomme

ry%3D400

I tried a bit of each cheese expect the stilton, because I am allergic to blue cheese as well. This was easily the best cheese plate we have ever had and we frequently get them at California Grill and Jiko.

And now, the heavenly dessert course :worship:

Celebes Coffee Process
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

This is one of the coolest things I have ever seen! It is such an inventive means of percolation. I am NOT a fan of coffee but this was delicious, smooth with very little bitter aftertaste that I detest so much.

I am a chocoholic at heart, so I didn't even have to look at the menu when it came to dessert. The moment I sat down at Victoria & Albert's I knew what I was getting for my last course:

Tanzanian Chocolate Pyramid with Hazelnut Crisp, Edible 24 carat gold and strawberries, Hawaiian Kona Chocolate Soufflé with Godiva Anglais, Peruvian Chocolate Ice Cream on Chocolate Puff Pastry
ry%3D400

Peruvian Chocolate Ice Cream, Chocolate Puff Pastry, Chocolate "eyelash" and Whipped Cream
ry%3D400

Kona Chocolate Souffle with Godiva Anglaise
ry%3D400

Tanzanian Chocolate Pryamid with Hazelnut Tuille and Strawberries.
ry%3D400

Oh sweet merciful god, this was the best chocolate dessert I've ever had (And I've had Marcel Desaulniers' Death by Chocolate)

It is easy to pick a favorite - the Kona Souffle wins by a land slide and I think I would get it on its own next time.

The weakest was the tanzanian chocolate pyramid. It was not bad by any means, but simply the most "boring" to be as it tasted like a basic chocolate mousse.

Mike strongly recommended the dessert selected by both my Mom & Dad. He said that whenever the staff of V&A pick a dessert, they opt for this:

Caramelized Banana Gateau - Toffee Cylinder, Sponge Cake, Marscapone Cream, Macadamia Crunch, Caramelized Bananas, House-made Spun Sugar, Bruleed Bananas
ry%3D400

I am not a big fan of bananas, but everything else in this dish calls to the salty sweet side of me, the side that craved sea salt caramels and chocolate dipped pretzels. It was absolutely wonderful (and that description is just from the 1 bite that I got ;)

WOW -- thank you so much for sharing this! Your review gave me the best sense of what a meal at V&A is all about, and it is definitely now on my to-do list!!

wow, amazing! Thank you for taking the time to do this. We've wanted to do V&A's for quite some time now and I think this has me completely convinced! It's going to be hard to wait until August!

Thank you for the excellent review. Victoria and Albert's was one of the best dining experiences I have ever had. Can't wait to return and your review makes me what to return soon!

You make me want to go even more! Now I'm thinking of trying to squeeze it in.

Looks wonderful! :cloud9: Was this their regular $125 menu? Did you get the wine pairings also?

Thanks for reading everyone :goodvibes

If you have any questions about the meal or the experience please feel free to ask!

All I can say is YUM! I'm salivating! Your pictures and descriptions were superb! Thank you for taking the time to post this.
Gretchen

Did you have the wine pairing? If so, what did you think of it? Thanks!

Yes, I did have the wine pairings. I'm not a huge fan of red wines, but i enjoyed each pairing :)

My favorites were the first and last, the pommery brut and the moscato di asti, because I'm a big fan of sparkling wines.

The reds that I had were pinot noir and zinfandel, not too full bodied so relatively easy to drink.

The pours were generous and the pairings were well worth it :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter