Eat at Home 3!

Home from Disney and so ready to get back to being frugal!

Mon-soup and sandwiches
Tues-pizza
Wed-chicken fingers and fries
Thurs-chicken tournadoes and noodles
Fri-chicken fajitas
Sat-ham dinner
Sun-roast chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, broccoli

Some changes to our week:

Wednesday we had a "fend for yourself" night as DH was at work and the kids and I had to rush out to various activities for the evening...kids had cereal and I had a bagel sandwich.

We moved the chicken fingers and fries to Thursday night and dropped the chicken tournadoes altogether. We'll likely put them on the menu next week.

Friday was the scheduled fajitas and tonight and tomorrow will also stay the same.

Sat - Honey BBQ Boneless Wings, Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Blueberries/Strawberries, Homemade Beer Bread
Sun - Crockpot Chicken Teriyaki, White Rice, Roasted Green Beans, Diced Mango
Mon - Out (Makeup Meal from Sat - Probably Macaroni Grill Xmas deal b/c we have a $25GC needing to be used up by Jan 31)
Tues - Chicken Fried Rice, Dill Vinegar Cucumber Salad, Diced Mango/Bananas
Wed - (Split Dinner, but this will work for all) BLTs, Roasted Carrots, Blueberry Muffins, Pear/Apple Slices
Thurs - Homemade Fresh Tomato Pasta Puttanesca, Mussels in Tomato Broth (this is boxed), Caesar Salad
Fri - Leftovers with Leftover Fruit Smoothies - If no leftovers, I'll make Cheeseburgers and Fries with the smoothies
Sat - Out (kids will get easy home meal - Date Night for Me - Savory and Sweet Crepes Restaurant Groupon to Use, then maybe a discount movie:)...

So far so good with last week- we ended up swapping Wednesday and Thursday meals around due to hubby's work schedule changing last minute, and we had an extra eat-out meal Saturday lunch with an all day basketball tournament that my 12 year old forgot to tell me was all day until two days before, but otherwise we stuck to it! My coworkers are even starting to plan their meals out now at home too, so we all kind of challenge each other to stick with it. Next week:

Sunday: lunch leftovers, supper calico bean and ham soup
Monday: crockpot teriyaki chicken (must be the week for this!)
Tuesday: breakfast supper
Wednesday: chicken enchiladas
Thursday: impossible cheeseburger pie
Friday: pizza night
Saturday: lunch leftovers, supper roast beef

Groceries for next week:
4 gallons milk
Bread
Eggs
Coffee creamer
2-12 packs pop

Menu Plan- Week of 1/14
Sat - leftovers
Sun - parm crusted fish, rice, asparagus
Mon- tacos/salad
Tues- beef stroganoff, green beans
Wed - lemon pepper chicken, roasted potatoes, squash
Thurs- kielbasa sausage, peppers over rice, cabbage
FridY - pizza

So far so good with last week- we ended up swapping Wednesday and Thursday meals around due to hubby's work schedule changing last minute, and we had an extra eat-out meal Saturday lunch with an all day basketball tournament that my 12 year old forgot to tell me was all day until two days before, but otherwise we stuck to it! My coworkers are even starting to plan their meals out now at home too, so we all kind of challenge each other to stick with it. Next week:

Sunday: lunch leftovers, supper calico bean and ham soup
Monday: crockpot teriyaki chicken (must be the week for this!)
Tuesday: breakfast supper
Wednesday: chicken enchiladas
Thursday: impossible cheeseburger pie
Friday: pizza night
Saturday: lunch leftovers, supper roast beef

Groceries for next week:
4 gallons milk
Bread
Eggs
Coffee creamer
2-12 packs pop

I saw the teriyaki chicken on facebook and was inspired (and it's perfect timing b/c we got 1 stomach sickie last night, so today's meal will be "lightened" in flavor (less ginger, garlic, soy, brown sugar, rice wine vinegar - just a little less of everything to bland it out a touch) and should be perfect for recovering tummies and for anyone who might catch the germ - just changing tonight's fruit to white ones - apples/pears/bananas - and keeping the green beans for the adults, and I'm all set)...

Hoping we can still go out tomorrow (if not, I'll probably be finding another chicken dish)...

Home from Disney and back to meal planning.

Monday: penne with red sauce and meatballs (from freezer), Caesar salad
Tuesday: Awards banquet for an award H won
Wednesday: Chicken marinated in Caesar dressing and baked. Corn and green beans
Thursday: I have my workout class. Leftovers
Friday: Scrambled eggs with cheese, blueberries, raspberries, pancakes
Saturday: Going to a 1st birthday party (Minnie Mouse theme!) so not sure.
Sunday: Grilled cheese, tomato soup, fruit if any is left over, brownies for dessert

I saw the teriyaki chicken on facebook and was inspired (and it's perfect timing b/c we got 1 stomach sickie last night, so today's meal will be "lightened" in flavor (less ginger, garlic, soy, brown sugar, rice wine vinegar - just a little less of everything to bland it out a touch) and should be perfect for recovering tummies and for anyone who might catch the germ - just changing tonight's fruit to white ones - apples/pears/bananas - and keeping the green beans for the adults, and I'm all set)...

Hoping we can still go out tomorrow (if not, I'll probably be finding another chicken dish)...
Ginger might help with sickie feeling tummies, so might work out really well for you! Good luck and hope no one else gets sick.

Monday- crock pot roast
Tuesday- stew
Wednesday- soup and sandwiches and veggies after DDs basketball
Thursday- honey garlic ginger ribs, rice, veg
Friday-
Saturday

Last edited:
Sat - Honey BBQ Boneless Wings, Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Blueberries/Strawberries, Homemade Beer Bread
Sun - Crockpot Chicken Teriyaki, White Rice, Roasted Green Beans, Diced Mango
Mon - Out (Makeup Meal from Sat - Probably Macaroni Grill Xmas deal b/c we have a $25GC needing to be used up by Jan 31)
Tues - Chicken Fried Rice, Dill Vinegar Cucumber Salad, Diced Mango/Bananas
Wed - (Split Dinner, but this will work for all) BLTs, Roasted Carrots, Blueberry Muffins, Pear/Apple Slices
Thurs - Homemade Fresh Tomato Pasta Puttanesca, Mussels in Tomato Broth (this is boxed), Caesar Salad
Fri - Leftovers with Leftover Fruit Smoothies - If no leftovers, I'll make Cheeseburgers and Fries with the smoothies
Sat - Out (kids will get easy home meal - Date Night for Me - Savory and Sweet Crepes Restaurant Groupon to Use, then maybe a discount movie:)...

Well, with the sickie in total recovery, but not ready for tomato or cream sauces, we did the crepes today for lunch as a family (walked out for $6.50 out of pocket today for 5 adult sweet/savory crepes after spending $15 on the Groupon, which was for 4 crepes, before Xmas - and boy, were those good - my kids are asking for us to go back - now to see if I can find another deal to make this $21.50 total again, since they don't have more Groupons:))...it was a perfect light and fresh (and not to hard on tummies) meal...and I'm always a sucker for crepes (and French food in general)...

Now that I have to make dinner, I'm gonna move up Tuesday's meal to today (since it's still in the chicken and rice vein) and Thursday's meal to Tuesday...and then see if I get inspired late in the week (or if I have more leftovers than I thought)...now to think of a new date plan for Saturday!:)

SUPER budget eating needed this week. Luckily still have some meat in the freezer.

Sun- DH and DD8 visiting friends interstate so DD3 and I will have whatever is in the pantry.
Mon- spaghetti with tomato and olive sauce, add in some zucchini noodles
Tues- leftover butter chicken, rice and green beans
Wed- chickpea cutlets and veg
Thurs- meatloaf, mash and broccoli
Fri- homemade pizzas
Sat- out at a party, kids can have grilled cheese before we go.

Switching around the freezer butter chicken til later on, it's frozen, it will keep! DH has invited a mate around for dinner Wed or Thurs.

Tues- meatloaf,
Wed/Thurs- grilled lamb chops (from the freezer) or crumbed fish for me and the girls if they prefer, with baby beet and lettuce salad
Other night - chickpea cutlets
Fri - pizzas

Meal plan for week of 1/16
Monday - Bangers and Mash
Tuesday - Crock pot meatballs
Wednesday - Chicken Divan
Thursday - Tuna Noodle casserole
Friday - Sloppy Joes
Saturday - chili or leftovers
Sunday - Quesadillas or sandwiches

Well, with the sickie in total recovery, but not ready for tomato or cream sauces, we did the crepes today for lunch as a family (walked out for $6.50 out of pocket today for 5 adult sweet/savory crepes after spending $15 on the Groupon, which was for 4 crepes, before Xmas - and boy, were those good - my kids are asking for us to go back - now to see if I can find another deal to make this $21.50 total again, since they don't have more Groupons:))...it was a perfect light and fresh (and not to hard on tummies) meal...and I'm always a sucker for crepes (and French food in general)...

Now that I have to make dinner, I'm gonna move up Tuesday's meal to today (since it's still in the chicken and rice vein) and Thursday's meal to Tuesday...and then see if I get inspired late in the week (or if I have more leftovers than I thought)...now to think of a new date plan for Saturday!:)

And the meal plan is out b/c spouse just got sick (apparently, this is a sudden hitting illness - you feel 100% fine til you don't)...so it will be more chicken and white starches for awhile - good thing I bought chicken this weekend...will be making myself a butternut squash apple soup tonight for me for lunches this week just so I don't have to worry about having something sweet/salty/bland if I get sick...

Monday- burritos with shredded pork
Tuesday- stew and buns
Wednesday- leftover stew
Thursday- ground pork burgers, homemade oven fries, salad
Friday- at out at the hockey game...
Saturday- homemade soup - curry lentil
Sunday- fish burgers with cut veggies

Last edited:
Geez, I'm always late nowadays...

We are cleaning out the freezer/pantry to some degree this month to make room for new goodies so we'll be eating up the peas, green beans and corn that's in there as well as any freezer meals, bread products and meat that have been in there for a while. This week I'm using up the bacon wrapped chicken (I was not a fan of these so I am glad that they are now gone), cooked chicken in the chicken pot pie, some of the frozen veggies throughout the week and the burritos (freezer meal). I've also made stock with all the bones I had in the freezer and will be using that in soups and stews, sometimes for dinners but mainly for lunches. This cleans out most of what I have left in there to be used up.

I will still have a gallon sized freezer bag of the chicken/black bean/rice burrito filling that I think I'm going to make into a casserole (with some corn and salsa and shredded cheese), half a box of meatballs (this one is not that old and can wait a few weeks before being used up), a bag with two flour tortillas in it (I may pull these out on Sunday and make the kids PB&J roll ups instead of using bread) and two tubes of ground turkey. The turkey is stumping me because the family doesn't really like it (wish I'd known that BEFORE I bought the 4 pack of tubes) and there are only a couple of recipes that I have come across so far that I can put it in where they don't really notice it. I am going to use up one pound in lasagna next week and I think the final one will have to wait until the beginning of February to be dispatched.

Anyway...on to this week's meal plan...

Mon-bacon wrapped chicken, peas, lipton sidekicks
Tues-Domino's pizza (the kids have been waiting for DAYS for this one!) :lmao: and fruit
Wed-chicken pot pie
Thurs-Tuscan chicken soup, grilled cheese sandwiches, veggies and dip
Fri-butter chicken, peas, rice
Sat-out for dinner, East Side Mario's
Sun-burritos (PB&J's for the kids), fruit and/or available veggies

Geez, I'm always late nowadays...

We are cleaning out the freezer/pantry to some degree this month to make room for new goodies so we'll be eating up the peas, green beans and corn that's in there as well as any freezer meals, bread products and meat that have been in there for a while. This week I'm using up the bacon wrapped chicken (I was not a fan of these so I am glad that they are now gone), cooked chicken in the chicken pot pie, some of the frozen veggies throughout the week and the burritos (freezer meal). I've also made stock with all the bones I had in the freezer and will be using that in soups and stews, sometimes for dinners but mainly for lunches. This cleans out most of what I have left in there to be used up.

I will still have a gallon sized freezer bag of the chicken/black bean/rice burrito filling that I think I'm going to make into a casserole (with some corn and salsa and shredded cheese), half a box of meatballs (this one is not that old and can wait a few weeks before being used up), a bag with two flour tortillas in it (I may pull these out on Sunday and make the kids PB&J roll ups instead of using bread) and two tubes of ground turkey. The turkey is stumping me because the family doesn't really like it (wish I'd known that BEFORE I bought the 4 pack of tubes) and there are only a couple of recipes that I have come across so far that I can put it in where they don't really notice it. I am going to use up one pound in lasagna next week and I think the final one will have to wait until the beginning of February to be dispatched.

Anyway...on to this week's meal plan...

Mon-bacon wrapped chicken, peas, lipton sidekicks
Tues-Domino's pizza (the kids have been waiting for DAYS for this one!) :lmao: and fruit
Wed-chicken pot pie
Thurs-Tuscan chicken soup, grilled cheese sandwiches, veggies and dip
Fri-butter chicken, peas, rice
Sat-out for dinner, East Side Mario's
Sun-burritos (PB&J's for the kids), fruit and/or available veggies

I wouldn't ever try to use ground turkey to sub for ground beef (my family also always knows and hates)...but I would make it shine on its own. I make Rachel Ray's meatloaf muffin concept, but I add cranberry sauce, stuffing mix (or carmelized onions, celery, sage, and breadcrumbs) with an egg and salt and pepper - it's like a little Thanksgiving meatball. Takes about 20-25 minutes at 400 degrees in a muffin pan...serve with the extra cran sauce (you only put a TB or 2 in 1lb of meat, so if you use the can, you'll have a lot left) and mashed sweet potatoes and it's a pretty darn good easy meal that brings back Thanksgiving on a plate:)...if necessary, you can open up a jar of turkey gravy to complete the meal (I don't like jarred gravy, so I don't do that, but some can't live without turkey and gravy and no one usually has that leftover in their freezer)...

PS - You will also have leftover dry stuffing mix if you go that route, so sometimes, I open up a 2nd box and make that as a side, too, if my troops are hungry...or I make sure it's on my side dish list for later that week...

We usually don't do turkey well because DH loves beef, but I made turkey burgers with Worcestershire sauce and a little salt and pepper and they were great!

We usually don't do turkey well because DH loves beef, but I made turkey burgers with Worcestershire sauce and a little salt and pepper and they were great!

That's my other go to - can't believe I forgot it. But I again emphasize the "turkiness" of it - I use Harvarti cheese to melt on top (b/c turkey with harvati is my favorite turkey combo) and then I make a dijonaise as the topping (dijon mustard/mayo combo) with lettuce and tomato. I always find that it's better to emphasize it, not hide it (but maybe that's b/c I watch too much Chopped:))...and if you have a couple slices of crisp bacon, too, you might never go back to beef burgers!

I wouldn't ever try to use ground turkey to sub for ground beef (my family also always knows and hates)...but I would make it shine on its own. I make Rachel Ray's meatloaf muffin concept, but I add cranberry sauce, stuffing mix (or carmelized onions, celery, sage, and breadcrumbs) with an egg and salt and pepper - it's like a little Thanksgiving meatball. Takes about 20-25 minutes at 400 degrees in a muffin pan...serve with the extra cran sauce (you only put a TB or 2 in 1lb of meat, so if you use the can, you'll have a lot left) and mashed sweet potatoes and it's a pretty darn good easy meal that brings back Thanksgiving on a plate:)...if necessary, you can open up a jar of turkey gravy to complete the meal (I don't like jarred gravy, so I don't do that, but some can't live without turkey and gravy and no one usually has that leftover in their freezer)...

PS - You will also have leftover dry stuffing mix if you go that route, so sometimes, I open up a 2nd box and make that as a side, too, if my troops are hungry...or I make sure it's on my side dish list for later that week...

That's my other go to - can't believe I forgot it. But I again emphasize the "turkiness" of it - I use Harvarti cheese to melt on top (b/c turkey with harvati is my favorite turkey combo) and then I make a dijonaise as the topping (dijon mustard/mayo combo) with lettuce and tomato. I always find that it's better to emphasize it, not hide it (but maybe that's b/c I watch too much Chopped:))...and if you have a couple slices of crisp bacon, too, you might never go back to beef burgers!

Mine don't like turkey apparently but love these meatballs. I think the grated apple makes it not as strong, more like chicken. I often throw some grated carrot or zuchini in too.

http://emirateswoman.com/food-kids-turkey-meatballs-annabel-karmel/

Thank you for the ideas...I'll give at least one of them a try!

Sunday: Pasta with meat sauce, French bread
Monday: Chicken and Dumplings
Tuesday: Bean, rice, cheese Burritos, chips and salsa
Wednesday: Italian Chicken, pasta, carrots
Thursday: Meatloaf, french fries, mach and cheese
Friday: Frozen pizza, salad

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter