• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

"Dumb" question from a first time Priceline user...

busy mom

Mouseketeer
So, if I only bid on 3 star hotels in a specific area, and when I search Priceline hotels, there is only one hotel in this category, can I assume that this is the hotel I will get? I just want to ensure that they don't expand the search to areas outside of the "hotel area" I have chosen.

No, unfortunately you cannot assume that. Check the bidding websites (like better bidding... Just google it, there are several) and see what is typically won for that particular area. I have used PL many times, and have been able to guess what I would get in many circumstances, but I've also been shuffled over to a different area/town. It was never a huge distance and it was all ok, but it does make it difficult to guess what you may get.

Sometimes they will change the search area to a hotel right outside that area if its the only one that will accept that cost but they wont go down in star level. I have pretty much learned that if you have a hotel under $100 you can probably get it for $20 cheaper. If you have a hotel above $100 I always go for about $50 lower and work my way up (unless I have time to kill and nothing seems to be going on in that area than I will start way low). I have only had 1 bad experience with a hotel and it was just a last minute thing to where I could not call and ask for a 2 bed room and I got stuck with a king. However, I have also had many times where I get really nice Hiltons for $70 a night plus taxes and have no problems asking for 2 queens or just wanting a king.

Priceline will NOT change your bidding area. If you pick a bidding area, that is the bidding area. I don't believe previous posters are incorrect, I just think maybe they did not take the bid area down to the micro level.

Having said that, I bid on the same areas all the time. I have not read the T/C for YEARS, and have not had any "stretch" in bid areas. But, that does not mean they have not changed things, so read the T/C closely and see if, for some reason there is some clause that allows them to "fudge" the bid area. But, I cannot believe that is true. -- if so, what is the point of the area?

So, assuming the area you choose is the area you choose....I use PL for hotels on a monthly basis. I know the system and I know the tricks.

BUT, you bid for a three-star hotel.

The Terms and Conditions say they can give you a three-star or above.

So, they give you a five-star. Sounds great. And probably is, but...

See the article below...I don't feel like typing in what he describes so well...

http://blog.michaelscepaniak.com/6-priceline-hotel-bidding-gotchas-that-havent-gotten-you-yet

AND

His P/L for beginners:

http://blog.michaelscepaniak.com/how-to-bid-for-hotels-using-priceline-and-travel-happy

I have only had 1 bad experience with a hotel and it was just a last minute thing to where I could not call and ask for a 2 bed room and I got stuck with a king.

We use Priceline almost every week because we have employes that work out of state and we also use it for ourselves about once a month. I learned quickly to call the hotel directly as soon as i make the reservation and ask for a double room. We are a family of six and it's not fun trying to fit everyone into king rooms.

Priceline will NOT change your bidding area. If you pick a bidding area, that is the bidding area. I don't believe previous posters are incorrect, I just think maybe they did not take the bid area down to the micro level.

His P/L for beginners:

http://blog.michaelscepaniak.com/how-to-bid-for-hotels-using-priceline-and-travel-happy

It may just be in the wording. No, they did not specifically change the bidding area, but they did give us a hotel outside of the bidding area on their list for the non-bidding hotels (express deals?) which is what I think the OP was asking about. The time it happened to us was in Houston... Like always, I check their list of hotels first and chose an area of houston where I felt comfortable with the likelihood of getting a certain hotel.... But I won a hotel about 5 miles away, and it was listed in another bidding area (one of the other houston areas) on their express deals page. It was fine for us (I think it was one of the Marriott hotels for $50) and the extra miles didn't matter for that particular stay. So, OP, if you're flexible on where you stay, then go for it, I've gotten some amazing deals exactly where i wanted before. But I never use PL if I'm set on a particular hotel or must be in a particular area, bc you just never know.

It may just be in the wording. No, they did not specifically change the bidding area, SNIP>>>>

Oh, OK< that makes sense.

They do NOT go out of the bidding area, but they do offer....they have always done that.

It can be confusing...

Oh, OK< that makes sense.

They do NOT go out of the bidding area, but they do offer....they have always done that.

It can be confusing...

They didn't offer to change it... They do that when your bid is not high enough, they ask you to add another area or star level, but this was different. I think what happens is that their list on the express deals part of the website (which is what I think OP is referencing) is just slightly different than the bidding list, which of course we cant see. OP asked if she would be guaranteed a hotel that was the only one listed in that star level... This is exactly what I saw in my example with houston, only one of its star rating in this particular micro-area. when I got a hotel that wasn't even on that area's list at all, I looked around until I found it, and it was on the list for a completely different bidding area a few miles away. I can't say that they intentionally changed the search, but for whatever reason the hotel I won was listed in another area a few miles away... Different micro-area, but still in Houston. Hope that makes more sense... I just want OP to know that nothing is guaranteed with PL before she bids.

I've used them probably 10 times, and I've been very happy with about 8 of them, and the other two were just ok. No really bad experiences.

They didn't offer to change it... They do that when your bid is not high enough, they ask you to add another area or star level, but this was different. I think what happens is that their list on the express deals part of the website (which is what I think OP is referencing) is just slightly different than the bidding list, which of course we cant see. OP asked if she would be guaranteed a hotel that was the only one listed in that star level... This is exactly what I saw in my example with houston, only one of its star rating in this particular micro-area. when I got a hotel that wasn't even on that area's list at all, I looked around until I found it, and it was on the list for a completely different bidding area a few miles away. I can't say that they intentionally changed the search, but for whatever reason the hotel I won was listed in another area a few miles away... Different micro-area, but still in Houston. Hope that makes more sense... I just want OP to know that nothing is guaranteed with PL before she bids.

I've used them probably 10 times, and I've been very happy with about 8 of them, and the other two were just ok. No really bad experiences.

I think that the issue is that the zones/lists between the two parts of the website (Bidding and Express) are not the same. There is no way from the website to actually know that there is only one hotel with the stars you are bidding for. Though you can get a good sense by going to some of the websites suggested above. Also, as has been pointed out, they can "upgrade" you to a higher star level.

So, bottom line, no you cannot be assured that you will get a given hotel when you bid. Having said that, I've always had good luck when using the bidding option (I have, however, always been okay with either a King/Queen or two Queens/Doubles - not sure I'd use it if I *needed* two beds).

We use Priceline almost every week because we have employes that work out of state and we also use it for ourselves about once a month. I learned quickly to call the hotel directly as soon as i make the reservation and ask for a double room. We are a family of six and it's not fun trying to fit everyone into king rooms.

Have you ever had a problem when you show up with six people for a room that typically has an occupancy limit of 4? We're a family of 5 and I've been hesitant to try PL because they can't guarantee occupancy and I know finding hotels with standard rooms that will allow 5 is not always easy.

-Astrid

Have you ever had a problem when you show up with six people for a room that typically has an occupancy limit of 4? We're a family of 5 and I've been hesitant to try PL because they can't guarantee occupancy and I know finding hotels with standard rooms that will allow 5 is not always easy.

-Astrid

We are a family of 5 and I use price line for last minute hotels for hockey travel. I call as soon as I get a confirmation and request two beds and non smoking. Our DD is only 2 though so sharing a bed with her is not a big deal. PL typically gives a king bed in a no suite so if you have older kids it might be a issue.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

We use priceline a lot.

If you bid a certain area & a certain star level that is what you get. However, it does state it may not be the hotel listed. I have found that it usually is the one listed though.

If you need 2 beds this sometimes doesn't happen. It is rare but a few times we had to pay extra to get a 2 bed room.

Usually, it you bid in the higher stars you of course land a nicer hotel & they are more likely to let you have either a King room or a room with 2 beds when you ask at check in.

Also, usually a higher star is more likely to be non smoking which is important to us.

I love priceline & find the better deals are in big cities. We use it every time we go to San Antonio & get a hotel on the riverwalk. I always bid only a 4 star there as I want a nice one & we get unreal deals.

The OPs question isn't "dumb" but some of the posts in this thread are confusing, misleading and just wrong.

when I search Priceline hotels, there is only one hotel in this category

they did give us a hotel outside of the bidding area on their list for the non-bidding hotels

There is no way to search on PLs site and get a list of hotels which show up when you bid blind. There isn't a guarantee hotel ratings on PLs retail site will match a hotels rating used when you "name your own price". The zone maps don't match.

When you bid with PL you'll get a hotel in the zone(s) you agree to as per the zone map you're shown when you bid. The map is drawn up so as to include all the hotels in that zone. You'll get a hotel rated by PL, for purposes of NYOP, at (or above) the * level you bid.

Internet help sites post hotels which have been "won". Hotels not posted might participate. PL changes zones. Go by the zone map you're presented when you bid.

You're bidding on a room which sleeps two. There are cities where hotels routinely assign PL guests a room which is only big enough for two. Many (most?) hotel rooms in Orlando can accommodate 4 guests. A room which can accommodate more then 4 guests isn't common.

In what world is it OK to book "bid" a room for 2 and show up with 5 or 6 guests? In what world is it OK to contact a hotel asking for accommodations for 5 or 6 guests when you only bid (paid for) 2? Rude guests who engage in such behavior are partially to blame for the attitude some hotels have toward PL guests. Those rude guests are partially to blame if hotel considers dropping PL.

A family of 5 or 6, who want to use PLs NYOP, should be bidding on 2 rooms.

The OPs question isn't "dumb" but some of the posts in this thread are confusing, misleading and just wrong.

There is no way to search on PLs site and get a list of hotels which show up when you bid blind. There isn't a guarantee hotel ratings on PLs retail site will match a hotels rating used when you "name your own price". The zone maps don't match.

When you bid with PL you'll get a hotel in the zone(s) you agree to as per the zone map you're shown when you bid. The map is drawn up so as to include all the hotels in that zone. You'll get a hotel rated by PL, for purposes of NYOP, at (or above) the * level you bid.

Internet help sites post hotels which have been "won". Hotels not posted might participate. PL changes zones. Go by the zone map you're presented when you bid.

You're bidding on a room which sleeps two. There are cities where hotels routinely assign PL guests a room which is only big enough for two. Many (most?) hotel rooms in Orlando can accommodate 4 guests. A room which can accommodate more then 4 guests isn't common.

In what world is it OK to book "bid" a room for 2 and show up with 5 or 6 guests? In what world is it OK to contact a hotel asking for accommodations for 5 or 6 guests when you only bid (paid for) 2? Rude guests who engage in such behavior are partially to blame for the attitude some hotels have toward PL guests. Those rude guests are partially to blame if hotel considers dropping PL.

A family of 5 or 6, who want to use PLs NYOP, should be bidding on 2 rooms.

Can you bid on two rooms at the same time and if so, will they be in the same hotel?

-Astrid

Can you bid on two rooms at the same time and if so, will they be in the same hotel?

-Astrid

When you bid you specify how many rooms you want (up to 9). Rooms will be at the same hotel. Immediately duplicate a winning bid and you'll frequently, but not always, "win" the same hotel.

JMO but PL works best if you're looking for a more deluxe hotel. Hotels like Gaylord Palms, Hyatt Grand Cypress....Book conventionally and a suite hotel offering free breakfast might be a better deal then two rooms "won" on PL at a Holiday Inn. Some suite hotels will have two beds in the bedroom and a sleeper coach in the living room.

Show up with 5 or 6 people and you're at the mercy of the hotel. Maybe they can find you a large enough room. Maybe a complimentary upgrade or a nominal charge. Maybe they'll insist on renting you a second rooms, charging you whatever they feel like. You can't ask for a refund and go somewhere else.

We use priceline for almost every vacation or weekend trip. The one time we couldn't get a bigger room is when we decided to travel 3 hours to Corpus Christi at like 4pm. I jumped on priceline got a hotel and then called them but all they had were king beds. Was not fun having 4 of us in a bed. Luckily they had an oversize chair I slept in most of the night.

Having said that, I bid on the same areas all the time. I have not read the T/C for YEARS, and have not had any "stretch" in bid areas. But, that does not mean they have not changed things, so read the T/C closely and see if, for some reason there is some clause that allows them to "fudge" the bid area. But, I cannot believe that is true. -- if so, what is the point of the area?

So, assuming the area you choose is the area you choose....I use PL for hotels on a monthly basis. I know the system and I know the tricks.

BUT, you bid for a three-star hotel.

The Terms and Conditions say they can give you a three-star or above.

So, they give you a five-star. Sounds great. And probably is, but...

See the article below...I don't feel like typing in what he describes so well...

The only times I have had them change my bidding area is when the hotel is right on a line of 2 area's. They use the excuse that its "in the area just hard to see on the map" but when I look at hotels in the area before bidding that hotel would be listed in a different area. Its normally not a big deal though because its normally like I said just right on the line that I'm only having to go a block or two out of the way to get there.

When you bid you specify how many rooms you want (up to 9). Rooms will be at the same hotel. Immediately duplicate a winning bid and you'll frequently, but not always, "win" the same hotel.

JMO but PL works best if you're looking for a more deluxe hotel. Hotels like Gaylord Palms, Hyatt Grand Cypress....Book conventionally and a suite hotel offering free breakfast might be a better deal then two rooms "won" on PL at a Holiday Inn. Some suite hotels will have two beds in the bedroom and a sleeper coach in the living room.

Show up with 5 or 6 people and you're at the mercy of the hotel. Maybe they can find you a large enough room. Maybe a complimentary upgrade or a nominal charge. Maybe they'll insist on renting you a second rooms, charging you whatever they feel like. You can't ask for a refund and go somewhere else.

I totally agree with this. And I only do PL when it's just two of us (or maybe 2 and a very small third person).

The only times I have had them change my bidding area is when the hotel is right on a line of 2 area's. They use the excuse that its "in the area just hard to see on the map" but when I look at hotels in the area before bidding that hotel would be listed in a different area. Its normally not a big deal though because its normally like I said just right on the line that I'm only having to go a block or two out of the way to get there.

The PLs maps are drawn in such a way as to include all the participating hotels in that zone. I was bidding in a zone where a hotel appeared to be "on the line" I zoomed on the map. The line was in the middle of the street. The hotel was in the correct zone.

It's possible a new hotel was added and PL neglected to update the map. It's also possible the street address of the hotel placed the hotel a block or two away from it's physical location.

Zoom on the map. The hotel you "won" is a block out of the zone. You can either accept the deal or fight with PL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter