Driving Experiences?

disneylove16

DIS Veteran
Way back when, I remember seeing a Richard Petty Driving Experience advertised. I can't seem to find anything on Disney's website about it, or about any other driving experience. Did it change names or is just something that's no longer offered? If it's gone, can anyone recommend something similar? DH loves fast cars, and I thought something like this would be a nice surprise on our rest day. Thank you!

Way back when, I remember seeing a Richard Petty Driving Experience advertised. I can't seem to find anything on Disney's website about it, or about any other driving experience. Did it change names or is just something that's no longer offered? If it's gone, can anyone recommend something similar? DH loves fast cars, and I thought something like this would be a nice surprise on our rest day. Thank you!
It's gone and I think the track has been demolished/removed. Google could probably help on something similar.

This closed in 2015 and was removed from Disney property.

No longer offered. The Walt Disney World Speedway was closed in 2015 I think. I don't think it's even there anymore. Daytona International Speedway is only a little over an hour away if you will have a car. They may offer racing experiences.

It is or is becoming a parking lot. Anyway, they had a death there a little before it was going to close anyway, and I think it closed early. The death was just the nail in the coffin. No pun or offense intended. DH did this on our first family trip and enjoyed it. I think he did the open wheel cars, since that's what we like to watch. Since DH does amateur autoracing anyway, they pretty much just let him go by himself without an instructor. However, it was a lead/follow thing, I believe.

There is nothing similar in Orlando. There may be something near Daytona. Where do you live? Feel free to PM me. I might be able to recommend something near your home.

It is or is becoming a parking lot. Anyway, they had a death there a little before it was going to close anyway, and I think it closed early. The death was just the nail in the coffin. No pun or offense intended. DH did this on our first family trip and enjoyed it. I think he did the open wheel cars, since that's what we like to watch. Since DH does amateur autoracing anyway, they pretty much just let him go by himself without an instructor. However, it was a lead/follow thing, I believe.

Yes there was a death but disney had already announced it was closing when a private event that rented the track had the unfortunate accident.

It's now a grass field with plans to be turned into more parking for MK for once they open up their other entrance I believe their doing.

Sad.

I enjoyed hearing the cars racing buy and was going to drive the Lambo or Ferrari but then they closed it abruptly after the accident

Racing cars is a hobby of mine. Never did the Petty experience, but my racing friends told me the track was pretty awful anyway. They did have a fatality there, but it was coincidental to the track closing. It was a shame, and unnecessary. It was doing one of those exotic car racing experiences, they were running the road course backwards, which it was never designed for.

If he likes NASCAR style racing, Daytona is an hour away and has a driving experience, but it's not cheap. If he likes road course racing, Sebring is 90 minutes away.

Last edited:
I remember it when it was a parking lot, before it was a race track. Now it has just gone back to nature, in a sense! :)

Just my opinion, but, if there was ever anything in WDW that didn't belong there it was that race track, especially where it was located.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts