Dreams Unlimited Travel Podcast: Becoming a Dreams Unlimited Travel Agent - 11/28

I really enjoyed this show, as well. I think you did a great job explaining how important it was to realize this is a full time job, but it sounds like you can't ever have free time as an agent. I would think you could create an on call system for travel emergencies, where a certain agent was on duty for everyone, and rotate around. That's how the virtual school operates, because they are open 24/7. I would love to do this, but I'm not in a position to give so much of my time to a career, with a child at home still. I wonder how the agents really feel about this time requirement.

When an agent is going to away or unreachable they do have another agent cover for them. They set-up a bit of a 'buddy' system where an agent covering for you now can count on you for coverage later.

We also have systems and support personnel in place for certain functions.

I really enjoyed this show, as well. I think you did a great job explaining how important it was to realize this is a full time job, but it sounds like you can't ever have free time as an agent. I would think you could create an on call system for travel emergencies, where a certain agent was on duty for everyone, and rotate around. That's how the virtual school operates, because they are open 24/7. I would love to do this, but I'm not in a position to give so much of my time to a career, with a child at home still. I wonder how the agents really feel about this time requirement.
I think the point that may be missed is that agents are self employed. We are independent contractors growing a business and client relationships. This isn't a situation where an employer is forcing work hours. Agents are in control of their own success and typically success in this business comes from being available to our clients as much as possible. We know what it takes to be a successful agent, which is what we tried to convey in the show. Like any new business, it takes countless hours and a huge commitment!

This would be a dream. I love helping plan peoples vacations and have been in customer service for 16 years. I just don't think it would pay enough to offset what I make. Though it would be great.

This was a very informative episode and will hopefully be a good resource for the team to gain a few more excellent agents. My family and friends are always telling me I should be a Disney travel agent. My response is always the same, "I don't want to be responsible for someone's vacation." Giving advice and helping plan is fun. Being responsible for someone else's money, expectations, and logistics is not for me. I prefer work where I don't have to interact with people much...like freelancing for The DIS! Different strokes for different folks!

This was a very informative episode and will hopefully be a good resource for the team to gain a few more excellent agents. My family and friends are always telling me I should be a Disney travel agent. My response is always the same, "I don't want to be responsible for someone's vacation." Giving advice and helping plan is fun. Being responsible for someone else's money, expectations, and logistics is not for me. I prefer work where I don't have to interact with people much...like freelancing for The DIS! Different strokes for different folks!
TOTALLY agree, and excellently stated! I also tell people I'm afraid if I HAVE to help somebody plan for a LIVING, it will take all the FUN out of it for ME!! I help those I WANT to, WHEN I want to. And - as Tracey so smartly said - I also tend to tell people what I enjoy doing, where I enjoy staying, etc. if they're coming to me for help (I think that's just human nature if not doing it as a job), and if you're an agent, it's THEIR interests/likes/trip, nothing to do with YOURS.

So I didn't hear this mentioned in the podcast and I really have no idea, so what is a good ballpark estimate of potential income with this job? I know it's highly variable, but before I apply, it would be great to have realistic income expectations, considering this is "full time" work and the training requires out of pocket spending. How much does the average agent make per year?

I have been interested in being a Disney agent for many years and am finally in a position where I can do it full time.

Hmmm. So now I'm wondering. Just read John's post about likely not being considered if not up for full time. I checked 36-40 hours for number of hours per week. In my mind I was thinking 'full-time' and that seemed to fit the bill. I have worked from home and have worked on 100% commission so I know demands on time go up and down depending on business at that time. Some weeks I worked 25 hours and others I could hit 60 or 70. But, on average, it was around 40. I wonder if ticking <40 hours will put me in the "no" pile?

Hmmm. So now I'm wondering. Just read John's post about likely not being considered if not up for full time. I checked 36-40 hours for number of hours per week. In my mind I was thinking 'full-time' and that seemed to fit the bill. I have worked from home and have worked on 100% commission so I know demands on time go up and down depending on business at that time. Some weeks I worked 25 hours and others I could hit 60 or 70. But, on average, it was around 40. I wonder if ticking <40 hours will put me in the "no" pile?

I wouldn't think so - isn't 38 hours considered the "standard" full time work week? Plus like you said, when working your own business the amount of hours you tend to spend in one week actually working can fluctuate quite a bit. Most people know that in this instance it's not like there's a time clock on the wall that counts down to the end of the work day, most weeks I imagine you'd work 30 odd hours, however there would be the occasional week where you'd maybe only work 15 hours, and then those weeks (days) where awesome rates become available and you'd work around the clock making sure everyone has the best possible deal.

Good luck with your application! :goodvibes

I'm guessing we won't be hearing anything until after the holidays.

It will not put you in the no pile. We have several that said 16-20, or 1-5. These were the ones John was thinking of when he posted.

Does anyone know if potential applicants have already been contacted? I understand that we will not be notified individually. Any information is appreciated!

What an opportunity! I decided to throw my hat into the ring also.
I am bilingual, have worked from home since before it was popular, and have been an independent contractor for years.
I even put up a dream board with a picture of the Dreams unlimited team! lol. Hey, whatever it takes, right? :flower1:

What an opportunity! I decided to throw my hat into the ring also.
I am bilingual, have worked from home since before it was popular, and have been an independent contractor for years.
I even put up a dream board with a picture of the Dreams unlimited team! lol. Hey, whatever it takes, right? :flower1:
Best of luck to you, let us know if you get it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter