Dr. said no Disney :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeamSy

DIS Veteran
Dr. said zika risk is too high when pregnant to go, and I'm just going to take a second and be sad about it with others who love Disney and understand the disappointment. I guess I've been more into watching what the CDC says, and as long as it's not being locally transmitted I always figured it's fine. Dr said one bite - that's all it takes, and in a highly populated area full of tourists from all over, and where there are mosquitos, it's more of a risk. I'm just super bummed! We had everything planned out, down to dining and fast passes. I know there will be other trips and maybe pregnancy is making me super over emotional right now, because obviously I would never want anything bad to happen to the baby, but I'm just SAD. I was onviously looking forward to it - one last trip there with just the two of us. Literally husband and I were talking about it, dr walked in and overheard, and the next thing we know he's saying, "I sure hope this trip isn't soon, when pregnant." Ughhhhhhh!!! Anyway, rant over. In other news if anyone is looking for be our guest dinner reservations, frozen ride fp, and a ton of others, between aug 27 and sep 2 ours will be released tomorrow :(

Dr. said zika risk is too high when pregnant to go, and I'm just going to take a second and be sad about it with others who love Disney and understand the disappointment. I guess I've been more into watching what the CDC says, and as long as it's not being locally transmitted I always figured it's fine. Dr said one bite - that's all it takes, and in a highly populated area full of tourists from all over, and where there are mosquitos, it's more of a risk. I'm just super bummed! We had everything planned out, down to dining and fast passes. I know there will be other trips and maybe pregnancy is making me super over emotional right now, because obviously I would never want anything bad to happen to the baby, but I'm just SAD. I was onviously looking forward to it - one last trip there with just the two of us. Literally husband and I were talking about it, dr walked in and overheard, and the next thing we know he's saying, "I sure hope this trip isn't soon, when pregnant." Ughhhhhhh!!! Anyway, rant over. In other news if anyone is looking for be our guest dinner reservations, frozen ride fp, and a ton of others, between aug 27 and sep 2 ours will be released tomorrow :(
I'm sorry for your disappointment, but agree with your doctor that this is the safest thing. The disappointment you feel now would be nothing compared to what you'd feel having a baby born with a damaged brain- that would be a rough road to travel.

Think of this as practice for the happy trips you'll get take someday with your wonderful child.

Doesn't this mean that all women of childbearing age should not visit ANYWHERE with mosquitoes? All Floridians in that age range should leave? Disney will become solely a retirement village if we all do that.

I'm still hanging in there at childbearing age, and while I wouldn't go on a coaster while pregnant this isn't something I would think twice about. And I would laugh at any doctor acting like an expert in this brand new thing.

I'm sorry, I definitely understand why you are so sad and disappointed! :sad1: Obviously safety of the baby and you comes first, no question, but it doesn't mean you wouldn't be sad about it, especially as you have it all planned out already and were looking forward to a last trip before your family get a little bigger. And, for me at least, going against my Dr. recommendation, wouldn't feel real comfortable and I would be second guessing myself and probably wouldn't be as carefree on my vacation as I'd want to be. And if something bad did happen, well, I'd have way too much guilt. But, everyone is different and has to decide what they are comfortable with.
But, I was thinking...
I'm sorry. I would be upset too. Could you possibly shift gears and look into a Disneyland trip instead?
Yeah, this is exactly what I was just coming to say! I know it'd probably be expensive, but if you could swing it maybe this would be a good alternative and way to get your Disney couples fix! Don't know if you've been there before, but we just took our first trip to DL in May, my DD26 and I, and we loved it! We are WDW vets and love it, but we really loved DL as well! (I'd love to be able to take one trip to each place every year!)
Anyway, just a suggestion, maybe extravagant depending on your situation, but something to think about maybe!

Doesn't this mean that all women of childbearing age should not visit ANYWHERE with mosquitoes? All Floridians in that age range should leave? Disney will become solely a retirement village if we all do that.

I'm still hanging in there at childbearing age, and while I wouldn't go on a coaster while pregnant this isn't something I would think twice about. And I would laugh at any doctor acting like an expert in this brand new thing.

There are different species of mosquito. The Aedes aegypti, which are more prevalent in tropical and subtropical regions (including Florida), are most likely to carry Zika (along with other diseases like Dengue fever). The "CDC is not able to predict if Zika virus will spread in the continental United States. However, areas with past outbreaks of chikungunya and dengue are considered at higher risk for Zika. These include U.S. territories like Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and Guam. Local outbreaks have also been reported in parts of Hawaii, Florida, and Texas." (http://www.cdc.gov/zika/vector/range.html)

That being said, that I'm aware of, there have been no known cases of locally-acquired mosquito-borne Zika in the US (not including Puerto Rico). I still would listen to my doctor though.

I'm so sorry. I totally understand your disappointment. However, the health of your baby and yourself is priority right now. Enjoy your pregnancy and the excitement of welcoming a newborn! They grow very quickly, and in no time, you will be able to visit WDW as a family!

To OP: Cheer up!! Nothing to be upset about. Give yourself a pad on the shoulder for being a responsible mother. Disney World will still be there after your HEALTHY BABY is born. Being a parent is a sacrifice--sacrificing your sleep, freedom, career, things you like to do and eat.. HOWEVER, with all the sacrifices, you will have a healthy and happy child and that's all it matters!!

I'm so sorry!!

I asked with my doctor (I'm in Australia) and he's happy for me to go. I'm not pregnant, but if we plan to have kids, it will be in the next 2 years. I'm wary, but if I were pregnant, I wouldn't want to risk it either.
But that doesn't mean you can't be upset about it!
It's super disappointing.
There will be more trips though, so try to think of those to get you through!!

Any chance you've got an Ohana res for dinner on August 28?

I am sorry that you will have to wait to go live in FL and I get eaten a live by moskettos but when I go to disney nothing at all not one bit not even after being there for a week with this said I would still listen to your DR after all a baby health is for a life time Disney is not going away any time soon

That stinks. I didn't know that it was that easy to transmit so I think after hearing that, I would be afraid to go. My baby days are over, otherwise I'll fully admit that I may not be going either. I'm glad you could come here and be sad. Can you two do a local B&B that weekend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter