Doubletree Guest Suites in DTD

JillPTFLA

Mouseketeer
Hi everybody! I have been lurking here on these boards for more than four years but never really felt compelled to post anything up until now! We just got back from a 4 night stay at the Doubletree guest suites in downtown Disney and I felt the need to post a review. Hopefully this will be helpful to anyone considering this hotel or considering an offsite stay.
I have been to Disney many, many times and in recent years we have been getting seasonal passes. I have stayed in every level of resort on the Disney property and also in many offsite hotels as well.

We stayed four nights from April 7-11. I don't have any pictures to post but the rooms look just like they do on the website.
In brief, we were extremely pleased with our stay! The rooms were ENOURMOUS, very clean, service was excellent, the air conditioner was quiet and worked well.
We checked in at about 5PM on Monday with no line and quick service. We were given the warm chocolate chip cookies (just be forwarned that they have nuts...I'm not sure if you can request without). Our family consists of myself, my hubby, our 5 year old son and a 2 year old son. We stayed in a king suite. My older son slept on the pullout couch and the younger one was in a porta-crib. The crib was delivered within 20 minutes of our check in with the extra blankets we requested. This was a real porta crib with a nice thick mattress and not just a pack-n-play. We used the mousesavers rate so we also received the free continental breakfast each morning. This was fine for us...tons of cold cereals, yogurt, fresh fruit, bagels and other pastries. You are seated at a table in the restaurant and can't really just grab and go which kind of bothered me a little but my hubby was fine with it.

Other amnenities: the pool is nothing special but was clean and not crowded (we have a pool so don't usually go swimming on vacation!), the fitness room is well appointed with 3 treadmills, an elliptical machine, bike, some benches and free weights, swiss balls and four tv's. Downtown Disney is about a 10 minute walk in one direction and about 5 minutes in the other direction is the Crossroads strip mall with lots of restaurants and Goodings supermarket. The fridge in the room is a nice size and there is daily delivery of USA Today.

The only drawback is that the doors separating the two rooms are louvered bifold doors so we still had to turn off all the lights and TV to get the kids to sleep. the last night we thought of covering the slats with towels but didn't try it. Most people probably wont have this problem, though but my older son needs complete darkness to fall asleep!

Overall, I think this hotel was superior to some of our recent Disney stays. We had tons of room, were very comfy and really pleased with the service.
I hope that this was helpful. If anyone has any questions, please ask and I will try to answer!
Jill

Thanks for the great review JillPTFLA. We're going the end of May and also got the great Mousesavers rate including the continental breakfast. It's our first time staying there and I'm so glad to hear you were happy with the hotel and the breakfast. It sounds like more than enough to eat in the morning.

We've been staying onsite the last few times and this is our first time (besides staying at Universal) that we've been "off-site." Disney's housekeeping leaves a little bit to be desired lately. Did you try the bus transportation? That the only question I have.

Six more weeks...can't wait :woohoo:

No, we did not use the shuttle buses since we drive and prefer to take our own car to the parks (even when we stay "on campus" we usually drive). But, we did see people waiting for the buses in the morning and they seemed to be used a lot and we saw them driving around all the time so I think they come frequently. I know there was a schedule in the lobby but we never stopped to look at it.
I hope you have fun on your trip!
Jill

Hi Poly-Anna,

We have stayed at Royal Plaza in DTD and had excellent service with the busses! We had absolutely no trouble going anywhere and they are very comfortable. We never had to wait long for any bus except one night leaving Epcot on Thanksgiving - the park was very busy, and we had to wait for a bit, but an extra bus was sent after it was reported there were so many people waiting, so it ended well.

Hope you enjoy your Disney trip!!! We will be there in June! :cool1:

I appreciate the input. I'd rather use a bus if it's convenient, but at least we have a car for a back up. Good luck on your upcoming trip too Band Mom.

Thanks again! :dance3:

Thank you for the review and the info about the bus. We're going to be there the end of October. We plan on using our car part of the time and the bus part of the time. :thumbsup2

Thanks for the review. I keep reading how the rooms are very nice and roomy. I also read that they updated the lobby/restaurant areas this past Dec./Jan. If we decide to try off-site next year this is our choice hotel.

Great video! Thanks for the link. I get to stay at DoubleTree courtesy of Mark (guy in video) I won a 3 night stay from MousePlanet.:cool1:

Hi everyone - My family and I LOVE the Doubletree. We have stayed there twice. We are a family of 5 and really need the extra space. We have stayed at most of the hotels on Hotel Plaza Blvd near Downtown Disney, the Doubletree is definately our favorite. The photos of the rooms on the website are very acurate. We were very pleased and highly recommend the Doubletree.

We stayed at the Grosvenor (now Regal Sun Resort) on 3 occassions and liked it very much too. We especially liked the fireworks view from the tower rooms and the fact the it is right across the street from Downtown Disney Marketplace. But since the tower rooms no longer have a daybed they cannot accomodate a family of 5.

We stayed at the Royal Plaza once and liked it as well. Nice rooms, great location, ect.

We stayed at the Best Western Lake Buena Vista Resort once. We will NEVER stay there again! The air conditioning units in this hotel need to be replaced. We were put in 3 different rooms and the air conditioning was crappy in all of them. Also, none of the rooms had hot water. The Best Western was a major disappointment!

The bus system for the entire Hotel Plaza Blvd. area is dependable and comfortable. They pass every 20 to 30 minutes.

All in all the Doubletree is a great value for larger families.

Just noticed, the Doubletree DTD is charging 5.00 for self parking now. When I made my ressie for Sept. it was free now it's showing $5.

Just noticed, the Doubletree DTD is charging 5.00 for self parking now. When I made my ressie for Sept. it was free now it's showing $5.

Please when you return from your Sept. trip report back about $5 parking fee. We also like any reviews on the Doubletree. It has been getting rave reviews.

Thanks for the "heads up". We're staying there in October.

We just got back from our stays at the DoubleTree DTD and the Ginn Reunion Resort. There weren't any parking fees for self parking. I never used, or saw any one use, valet parking so I can't say if there was a charge for that.

I'm looking at the Doubletree as a possibility for my family of 5, and a use of our Hilton Honors points. Can you walk to Downtown Disney comfortably from here?

Thanks for the reviews!

We just got back from the Doubletree (also using Hilton Honors pts) You could walk it, but it's probably about 1/2 to 3/4 mile, but a straight walk past all of the hotels. I believe they do have shuttle buses to Downtown Disney though...but check to be sure..I know they go to the parks. We loved, loved the hotel. We spent 3 days at the Nick Hotel & then 6 nights here...absolutely no comaprison. While they kids loved the Nick Hotel, DH & I were never so happy to leave and come to an oasis of sanity at the DTD. Very nice, attentive staff, great rooms, kids had the pool to themselves one morning,no complaints at all. The only thing is that the breakfast is not included w/ Hilton points, and it wound up being over $70 each morning for just an ok buffet for our family of 5. We were offered a special to stay anytime in the next year for only $30/night if we booked before we left also.

You can walk to DTD. We have done it many times. The buses do run to Downtown Disney Westside after 4pm. Double Tree is our favorite DTD Resort, Grosvenor (now Regal Sun) a very close second. I have stayed in this area many times a would be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Our upcoming Thanksgiving trip will be to Port Orleans Riverside. I couldn't convince our friends that they would love Double Tree too. I just hope that I am not disappointed with Port Orleans. We have gotten spoiled with the extra space that Double Tree provides and we love the Downtown Disney area.

I hope you all have a magical trip!

We stayed there last September for 3 days following a Disney Cruise. Rooms are spacious and comfy. Breakfast (sometimes included) was better than expected. Service and attitude were excellent as well.
Bit of a walk (1/2 of a mile to DTD, the Westside), but it can be done.
I had a very BAD experience with the buses -- they are "leisurely" at best. The drivers couldn't care less and I was waiting at Epcot for 75 minuntes in the hot sun.

I believe Mears runs two routes between the parks and the DTD hotels. Once an hour, supposedly, during the middle of the day. One route is for the hotels on the NorthWest Side of Hotel Plaza Blvd (Buena Vista, Regal Sun & Best Western) and the other route is for hotels on the SouthEast Side (Hilton, Doubletree). If you miss the bus for one route, take the other and walk.

If you can rent a car, do so. The time you save will give you several hours of additional vacation.

Bit of a walk (1/2 of a mile to DTD, the Westside), but it can be done.
I had a very BAD experience with the buses -- they are "leisurely" at best. The drivers couldn't care less and I was waiting at Epcot for 75 minuntes in the hot sun.

I believe Mears runs two routes between the parks and the DTD hotels. Once an hour, supposedly, during the middle of the day. One route is for the hotels on the NorthWest Side of Hotel Plaza Blvd (Buena Vista, Regal Sun & Best Western) and the other route is for hotels on the SouthEast Side (Hilton, Doubletree). If you miss the bus for one route, take the other and walk.

If you can rent a car, do so. The time you save will give you several hours of additional vacation.

Thanks for the information. We are having a mini-family reunion in October and some of my family will be staying at the Doubletree and were planning on using the shuttles. I will tell them to keep the rental all week in case its necessary.

Thanks for the info. We will have a rental car as well. So we'll stick with that instead of using the bus service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter