DON'T Read This TRIP REPORT If You're a Princess Hater!

mom2rtk

Invented the term "Characterpalooza"
I was really back and forth on doing a trip report. But alas, we've been back for 2 months now, and I'm going through major Disney withdrawal. And with no new trip in the works yet, I'm doing what any self-respecting Disboarder would do....... I'm starting a trip report so I can relive our LAST trip!

This trip was a long time in planning. After all, planning is half the fun, right? I thoroughly relish being able to anticipate and plan the entire year leading up to a big Disney trip. My husband knows better than to ever surprise me with a last minute Disney trip. I'd be hacked off I didn't get to enjoy all that planning and anticipation!

The entire family took a road trip west last summer and it included a few days at Disneyland. But this trip was a girls only trip to the World. My daughter Katie and I are big princess fans, and we relished the thought of doing all the girly, princessy things we wanted.

The planning actually started in December 2009. My Christmas present was a down payment on a December 2010 girls trip. We had been to the World the end of September 09 and hit the record heat. I'm very heat intolerant, so I wanted to go back in December for cooler weather. All I can say is "be careful what you wish for......" :rotfl2: Let's just say..... we're now officially overdue for "just right" in the weather department!

I'm Janet. Here I am with Katie and the person in charge of all the Magic at Disney, my alter-ego.... and favorite character of all....the Fairy Godmother (And you guys thought Mickey was in charge!):

Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo! by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Anyone want to come along while I relive the magic?

INDEX:

12/11/10: ARRIVAL DAY .... Checking In
1900 PARK FARE FLASHBACK
12/11/10 Cont'd: Fun With the Girl in Green

12/12/10: DHS Rope Drop: What do you MEAN my ticket doesn't work?
12/12/10 Cont'd: BATB Excitement
12/12/10 Cont'd: More BATB
12/12/10 Cont'd: What HAPPENED to my thrill ride junkie????
12/12/10 Cont'd: Character Palooza and Osborne Lights

Fairy Godmother Flashback
12/13/10: A COLD start at the Magic Kingdom
12/13/10 Cont'd: Not a bad backup plan!
12/13/10 Cont'd: Tangling with Tiana
12/13/10 Cont'd: Lunch Among Royalty
12/13/10 Cont'd: HOP & HM
12/13/10 Cont'd: Freezing in Front of the Castle
12/13/10 Cont'd: We're STILL Freezing in Front of the Castle (MSEP)
12/13/10 Cont'd: We're even MORE Frozen in Front of the Castle (Wishes)

12/14/10 ANOTHER Cold start at the Magic Kingdom! (BBB)
12/14/10 Cont'd: Where Did Tiana go??? Includes Mary Poppins Flashback
12/14/10 Cont'd: Cinderella Finds her Fairy Godmother!
12/14/10 Cont'd: Dreaming Right Along With Mickey
12/14/10 Cont'd: More Dreaming With Mickey
12/14/10 Cont'd: What? Another parade? I'm in!
12/14/10 Cont'd: Dinner Before the Ball........errr...... Party
12/14/10 Cont'd: On to the Ball....err..... Party!
12/14/10 Cont'd: Confusion and Amazement in the Princess Room
12/14/10 Cont'd: Fireworks AND a Christmas Parade

12/15/10: Tea With a Princess
12/15/10 Cont'd: More Tea With a Princess
12/15/10 Cont'd: Tea Party Flashback
12/15/10: Cont'd: Dinner and a Show

12/16/10: Back to the Magic Kingdom!
12/16/10: Stalking Mary
12/16/10: On to Toontown!
12/16/10: More Toontown Fun
12/16/10: The OTHER Side of the Park

Oh, I think I just saw your post on the Perfectly Princess Tea Party Thread! I knew your name looked familiar!

Welcome aboard! I'll show you the secret handshake in a bit!
When is your trip?

You must have been there the same time we were... with the record LOW temps??? Dec 10-15 was my trip... Craziness with the cold! :eek:

You must have been there the same time we were... with the record LOW temps??? Dec 10-15 was my trip... Craziness with the cold! :eek:

We were there 12/11 to 12/19. So we sure were there at the same time! Let me know if you see yourself in any of my photos! :rotfl2: Which actually isn't all that crazy. I was reading another trip report from that week and picked myself out in the background of one of her shots. It really doesn't take much to amuse me!

I'm gathering some photos and hope to post our first day tonight!

Oh, I think I just saw your post on the Perfectly Princess Tea Party Thread! I knew your name looked familiar!

Welcome aboard! I'll show you the secret handshake in a bit!
When is your trip?

I am not a princess hater. I love them in fact, but no one else in my family does. My DD 10 has outgrown them and the rest of my family is boys:sad2: I'm thinking in a few more years my DD will rediscover her love for them and maybe my boys will discover them too;) It wasn't my post over on the Princess Tea Party thread, but a princess tea party sounds fun! I just got back from a trip in January (note the ongoing trip report). I'm not headed back until probably next January:sad2: Thanks for the party too:goodvibes

I am not a princess hater. I love them in fact, but no one else in my family does. My DD 10 has outgrown them and the rest of my family is boys:sad2: I'm thinking in a few more years my DD will rediscover her love for them and maybe my boys will discover them too;) It wasn't my post over on the Princess Tea Party thread, but a princess tea party sounds fun! I just got back from a trip in January (note the ongoing trip report). I'm not headed back until probably next January:sad2: Thanks for the party too:goodvibes

I must have seen you post somewhere else then. But as long as you're not a hater, it's ALL good!

I only mention the princess haters because I was quite surprised at the degree of hatred I saw come from some posters as they discussed the Fantasyland Expansion. One even said they wanted to puke if they saw another little girl walking around the Magic Kingdom in a princess costume. If that's the criteria, I didn't want them puking all over my trip report! :rotfl2:

My daughter is also 10. This was sort of our "last hurrah" with the princess stuff. I think she'll come back to it later too, but I wanted one last shot at princess stuff before moving along.

Like you, we have boys at our house too, almost 16 and almost 18.

I just subbed to your trip report and will try to read up when I have a minute!

ON OUR WAY: Arrival Day 12/11/10:

I watched the forecast in the weeks leading up to the trip. Orlando was having record cold, so I figured (and hoped!) it would run its course by the time we left. As our departure got closer, it started to look unlikely. I spent the last couple of days before leaving stocking up on chemical hand and foot warmers, long underwear and lots of layers!

In my haste watching the forecast in Orlando, I nearly forgot to watch the forecast at home! It turns out they were predicting a winter mix of weather the day we left. Fortunately I woke up that morning to 44 degrees and light rain. The temperature dropped steadily on our way to the airport, but not enough to matter before our flight.

We managed to get through security with no pat downs or full body scans. Katie was amused by the lady waiting for the same plane who had an adorable puppy with her. Our 10:25 flight left on time and landed in Orlando around 2.

5508071288_689c6ce6e9_z.jpg

5507472193_fa1085c976_z.jpg

5507472201_f4c0b30f2f_z.jpg

5508071312_03fd94c0b5_z.jpg

We were happy to find a bus to the Pop Century waiting when we arrived at the Magical Express. After a quick stop at the Caribbean Beach Resort, we were on our way to the Pop. The check-in line wasn’t long, but moved VERY slowly. I then recalled the information I had seen on the Disboards about the problems they were having with the new computer system. Eventually it was our turn. They had my room request wrong, but were still able to get us what I had asked for…… a ground floor room facing the Hippy Dippy pool. That’s about the closest you can get to the food court, shop and bus stops. And after being on our feet all day in the parks, that close room would be a HUGE plus!

I had shipped 2 boxes down a week earlier. One had Christmas decorations, the other was our small pink Christmas tree. The first box was there, the tree wasn’t. So much for spending our down time that day decorating the tree! Oh well, we had lunch from the food court then decorated our window and wandered the resort taking a few pictures.

5507521359_df202e78ab_z.jpg

5508120310_c803cf79a2_z.jpg

5508120332_03618cbf11_z.jpg

5507521387_7ce533e1e4_z.jpg

After it taking until late in the night to get luggage last time, I had hoped maybe it would show up early this time. No such luck. Fortunately we had what we needed in the carry-on bags.

UP NEXT:

.......... TONS of fun at one of the best character meals at Disney. I'll give you a hint. Katie goes dressed in green.............

Any guesses???????

No fair guessing if you know us!

Hi mom2rtk,

I just noticed you started a TR. I'm in. I know that you'll have and entertaining TR and some great pictures to share. Looking forward to seeing more.

Hi mom2rtk,

I just noticed you started a TR. I'm in. I know that you'll have and entertaining TR and some great pictures to share. Looking forward to seeing more.

Hi! Thanks for following along! I also just found your trip report and subbed. I can't wait to see the shots you came back with. Judging by the first page, I'm in for a treat!

Janet

AHHH!!! We were at Pop too! How cool is that! :cool1: I have my trip report started as well... check out my pictures for you guys!

I'm in :thumbsup2
Ready to go :surfweb:

PS. I am going to be in WDW about the same time next year? How did you fidn the crowds and lines? Any thoughts would help :worship::worship:

AHHH!!! We were at Pop too! How cool is that! :cool1: I have my trip report started as well... check out my pictures for you guys!

That's too funny! Of course, you probably wouldn't have seen us at the POP. We were hardly ever there! :rotfl2:

Although if you saw anyone swimming in the cold weather.........that COULD have been my daughter. No .......wait....... you were in "pool avoidance" mode.... (I already started reading your TR!)....... but Katie is 10......... and less easily distracted. We knew from a prior January trip that they keep the pool water really warm. And our room was right next to the pool, so I did let her swim a couple of times.

I'm in :thumbsup2
Ready to go :surfweb:

PS. I am going to be in WDW about the same time next year? How did you fidn the crowds and lines? Any thoughts would help :worship::worship:

This was our second December trip to the World. We did the same week in 08. This was traditionally the "lull" week right before the big Christmas rush. But we found it to be busier than our previous trip. There were a few times I considered it REALLY busy. But the truth is that with the discounts they run, there aren't many slow times left. With good planning though, it's still manageable.

This year remains to be seen. Remember this was previously considered "value" season, the lowest price of the year. Starting this year, it is bumped up a rate category, so the price is a little higher. And of course, no deals have been announced yet to the general public.

If you have any specific questions, let me know.

And.........

:welcome:

This was our second December trip to the World. We did the same week in 08. This was traditionally the "lull" week right before the big Christmas rush. But we found it to be busier than our previous trip. There were a few times I considered it REALLY busy. But the truth is that with the discounts they run, there aren't many slow times left. With good planning though, it's still manageable.

This year remains to be seen. Remember this was previously considered "value" season, the lowest price of the year. Starting this year, it is bumped up a rate category, so the price is a little higher. And of course, no deals have been announced yet to the general public.

If you have any specific questions, let me know.

And.........

:welcome:

Thanks for the festive welcome... I hope we luck out and it is less busy. Though in truth my mom said we are taking a slower trip this year so crowds shoudl not matter I am supposed to walking slow and taking it all in :laughing: I told her I'd give it my best.

As per codes my mom and I both received a 40% off pin code for that time so I'm not sure if that means it will be available to the public later or not :confused3

Anywho... can't wait to hear more :thumbsup2

Thanks for the festive welcome... I hope we luck out and it is less busy. Though in truth my mom said we are taking a slower trip this year so crowds shoudl not matter I am supposed to walking slow and taking it all in :laughing: I told her I'd give it my best.

As per codes my mom and I both received a 40% off pin code for that time so I'm not sure if that means it will be available to the public later or not :confused3

Anywho... can't wait to hear more :thumbsup2

Well, December is a GREAT time to slow down and take it all in. So I'm sure you'll have a great time. :thumbsup2

Don't get me started on PIN Codes. I have officially given up. I think I'm on the NO PINCODES masterlist at Disney. I have tried it all....... signed up under various email addresses.......saved itineraries...... made changes........... you name it........ no pin code. I refuse to ever try again. :sad2:

Which I suppose is fine. I don't know if a return trip is in the cards. If it is, it might be west. So a PIN code would probably just taunt me right now!

What dates are you going?

I'm glad you had an uneventful flight down. Bummer your tree wasn't there. Did it ever show up? My guess for dinner is 1900 Park Fare (since we are going with all things princess.)

I'm in, looking forward to the rest of your report

:welcome: Thanks for joining in! I'll have the rest of day 1 in a moment!

I'm glad you had an uneventful flight down. Bummer your tree wasn't there. Did it ever show up? My guess for dinner is 1900 Park Fare (since we are going with all things princess.)

YEAH! :cheer2: We have a winner! I'll update our visit to 1900 Park Fare in a moment.

The tree finally showed up the next day. It wasn't an expensive tree, but I had bought it after Christmas in 2009 just as we started planning the trip. I had read other trip reports where people had trees in their room, and I really wanted it.

I had been watching the USPS tracking all week and thought for a bit it was lost. I had mailed both boxes one week prior. The first one showed up Monday that week. This one didn't show up until Sunday. I had considered putting my tripod in that box so I would have it that first night. Lesson learned. I already knew I couldn't count on the airlines or Magical Express for stuff that first day. Now I have to add the post office to that list!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter