• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Donald's Defiant Dashers 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to add/clarify...Tanya, Carolynn and anyone...if y'all want to plan to meet at 3 or 4 for a drink on that Sunday then of course do! I don't want it to come across that if I can't be there then it shouldn't happen. By all means meet if you want/can! :)

For me, dinners all three nights are when I want/can meet, so if anyone wants to plan meets for those times then I will be there.

I know I'll be seeing Tanya and Joe the mornings of the races, too, since we'll be walking to the starts together. :thumbsup2

I want to try to meet up with all of you at some point that weekend though! :donald:

Fri/Sat night is a good idea too. I don't really have anything set in stone, except that they should be "early" nights, right?! ;) I was tentatively planning on MK Friday evening and Epcot Saturday evening. But, whatever, I'm open to suggestions!

For timing reference, last year I met up with a friend who ran the Goofy, finishing on Sunday in just over 7 hours (shhh, don't tell Disney! She still got her medal). She made a LeCellier late lunch at 2:30pm, and we met up at 4pm in France. FWIW, I finished the full (2011) in just over 6 hours and it was right about 12:15pm or so, and I was in the last corall. So I guess what time anyone could make it to an afternoon Duck meet would depend on each individual's recovery since the actual race is pretty much over with by 1pm. Personally, I didn't want to lounge around too much! I had to keep moving -- slowly, but keep moving! ;)

As for Sunday, we could just call it an open meet somewhere (Outer Rim Lounge?) with an open time frame, say 3:30 till 5 ish? And you'll see who you see when you get there! I changed my Chefs de France dinner ADR to 5pm. And if I'm a little late, I'm a little late. No biggie.

Maddykins06 said:
I only did 4.4 miles yesterday, but felt good.
I'm SURE I'll need to do some foam rolling soon - felt a twinge in the ITB/Knee.
Renee: PLEASE do share your stretches!

Joe: Chef Mickey's is so fun! Love it there!

Hope everyone is well!

I know this is contraversial, but do some research & consider trying barefoot or VFFs. I'll just say that I suffered from chronic ITB, shin splints & knee issues. Now, as long as I stay shoeless, or at least out of running shoes with big heels, I'm fine. No problems whatsoever except after 18 miles of hills in Gettysburg. And that was in Merrell Bare Access.

Wtg on your 8! The longest I've gone so far this summer is 4 miles. I'm planning on 5ish this week though.

I'm using the full 7 hours for the full to estimate timing...so say I start at 6am that takes me to 1pm.

I used a jogging stroller for awhile a few years ago and boy was it hard! I really commend anyone who runs with them.

For marathon weekend what about Friday or Saturday nights? As I said, I am personally open all three nights, so I'd be happy to attend meets any or all of them.

The longest I have run this summer has been 5 miles. Al of my running has been at races, have not been out alone yet. It is hot here, and i sweat a lot also....

I think you will be faster than 7 hours, Liz!

I have been passed seversal times by people pushing strollers. Someone told me it is easier as you have something to lean on.

I am not sure about Sunday, I think I am leaving then. Friday and saturday are good for me. Chef Mickeys sounds like fun, if I am here on Sunday I am in!

I see that Chef Mickey's still has some openings (I just did a quick search for 10 people at 5pm on that Sunday). So I also did some googling (I love that that's a word now!) on the Outer Rim and find that some folks report it opens at 4 while others say later. So maybe for those folks who want a Chef Mickey's meal, they can meet there first.

But for others, maybe a Saturday afternoon gathering of the flock would be ideal? Any thoughts? Perhaps DTD or somewhere around the Boardwalk/BC area - just in case some ducks aren't headed to the parks. Please jump in the pond here with your suggestions!! :)

Is Chef Mickeys a buffet for dinner? Thinking a buffet would be great after the marathon. If.the group wants to go for the BW area, theres Cape May Cafe? Brewery? And of course I personally love Turf Club & heard Pomodoro was good....soooo many choices!

Yep Chef Mickey's a is a buffet & since I'm staying @ BLT I'm partial to it, but I'll waddle over to anywhere to meet up with everyone! :yay:

Anyone care to suggest a stability shoe?
Shan, I can't do the vibrams just yet

... I think you will be faster than 7 hours, Liz!

I have been passed seversal times by people pushing strollers. Someone told me it is easier as you have something to lean on.

I am not sure about Sunday, I think I am leaving then. Friday and saturday are good for me. Chef Mickeys sounds like fun, if I am here on Sunday I am in!

Thanks Augie. :) I know I am going to stop a lot though, for character pictures, bathroom breaks and maybe for eating breaks! I really just might have to stop at the MCDS that we run past! lol

I have heard people say that too about leaning on the stroller. But it wasn't that way for me. If I leaned on it it rolled forward and made me run faster. ha. It was heavy and not having both hands free to run with wasn't enjoyable either. I sure don't miss those days!

I hope you decide to stay for Sunday then! But we'll plan something for the other night(s) too....

Ok so it sounds like some of us are in for meeting at the Outer Rim on Sunday afternoon and/or Chef Mickeys after that. I went ahead and made an ADR at Chef Mickeys for 5pm. I made it for the max it would let me, so I'll just change the number once everyone confirms if they're going or not (so once you know for sure, and how many people you are, let me know).

So now we need to make plans for another meet! Tanya suggested Saturday, does that work for everyone? Works for me! Does anyone have plans for Saturday afternoon or evening that would make eating in a certain area better for you? I'll just be at OKW relaxing after the half until dinner, so I'll go anywhere.

Hi, my name is Joe and it has been 200 days since my last Disney World trip :sad1:

If I would have followed through with a plan I had 2 weeks ago, Debbie and I would be boarding a plane right now for a weekend trip to WDW. I didn't do it, but I'm kicking myself now. Oh well maybe I can try again in August.

Liz: Count Debbie and I in for the Outer Rim and Chef Mickeys on Sunday. :cool1: I am looking forward to it. I am open for anything on Saturday also, we are staying at OKW, so Turf Club or somewhere at DTD. We are fans of Paradiso 37 and Bongos, but I don't think I've had a bad experience at any DTD restaurant.

I wear a Saucony Guide 5 stability shoe and I wear a Powerstep Pinnacle insert that helps my feet from over pronating. The shoe has really helped. I was fitted by an expert at a running store. I just replaced my shoe last week, thanks Liz for the WISH discount code.

Augie: when are you getting in for the ToT race? Are you or any other Duck up for a walk around World Showcase taking in the Food & Wine Festival on Friday or Saturday?

Stephanie is in Turkey now, she will be home Tuesday night. I think she is travelled out, and ready to come home. Three of her friends from work were in a car accident the other night and 2 of the girls were killed, she is pretty upset.

It has cooled down the last couple of days and I have noticed my speed has increased, hopefully I can keep it up. I did 4 miles tonight with my new shoes, it was a little humid from the rain we got this morning, but it felt good. Does anyone get excited the day they are scheduled for a run? I find myself looking forward to the end of work on run days, so I can hit the park. I think I might be hooked on this running thing, who would have thunk it.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Joe

Hey Ducks!

Karin - My IT band stretch may be a "known" already. I don't get anything out of that, "while standing, cross your left leg over your right leg, then bend to your left." I never feel a thing, except a pull in my hip.

My therapist had me lay flat and hook my right foot in the stirrup of a strap (the type you use for stretching your hamstrings). He had me pull my right leg over my left leg, but hovering over it, not high, like when you stretch your hams. If you get too high, you'll feel your hams and hip pull. Keep lowering it and pulling it to the left until you feel the stretch at your tight IT band. Voila! Give it a try! Everybody now...

Joe - So tragic to hear about Stephanie's friends. Prayers go out to the families in your community.

And to whoever posted earlier (insert emoticon of Renee jumping up and down here), YES! I'm running the Wine & Dine Half! I'll be there! But first...one mile. Tomorrow. Just one mile. My first mile since June. Yep, that IT band hurt bad. Then more miles to come!

Wow Joe, how tragic about Strephanie's friends. Heartfelt prayers sent to her & a no doubt grieving community.

Almost doesn't seem right to post about running after that, but good luck to everyone on their weekend runs. Going for 10 here. Hoping the weather cooperates.

Joe: I am so very sorry about Stephanie's friends. I hope she is O.K. :grouphug:
Sending positive thoughts for her safe travels home.

Joe - how sad to hear about Stephanie's friends. That must be really difficult being in a strange country and have that happen. I'm sure she'll be happy to be home again in a few days.
On another note, I just may see you and Augie and Karen at WDW for ToT weekend! I happen to be going to meet up with my BFF who will be there, but won't be running the race. Not sure what her plans are but I'll keep an eye out for you guys and say HI if I see ya!

For Saturday's little get together, OKW or DTD works for me since I'll be at POFQ. Easy peasy. And I'll also see you guys at Outer Rim for a drink before dinner on Sunday! Assuming I'm still moving.... good thing my friend is going with me on this trip, I may need to lean on her a bit! ;)

Sitting in the parking lot waiting for my 7pm start of the Around the Lake Marathon. I'm not trained at all...but it should be fun. Cool weather here in the Boston area!

I will meet for a drink. Not a fan of buffets, so not sure about that one - but will join as many meet ups as I can. I will have park tix, so want to spend time there, too.

I have slowly gotten away from stability shoes. Started with the 2160's. Right now I am wearing Newtons. I wear Go Runs for short distances and just ordered a pair of Kinvaras. Always wanted them! Don't wear heels...my shoe addiction is of the running kind!

Getting hot in the car...gonna' walk around. See you ducks later!

Laura - How did your evening marathon go last night? A bit like Wine & Dine, only a bit earlier, eh?

I ran 2K on Friday and 2K this morning. IT band is doing good. Now I just need to be smart about the mileage ramp up. :rolleyes1

Stay hydrated, Ducks! It's hot out there.

Good afternoon! Freshly from my 10k which was fun and interesting. The first 3k was rolling country gravel roads in the sun. The middle 4k involved 2 huge hills (as in, walking up them was hard to do), a trail covered with upset cows (I went around), then about a km of cowpatties, an then the last bit was rolling country gravel roads to the finish. My time was sucky (1:38:00) but considering the course it is just fine (or so I tell myself). The race even included climbing over fences! Lol. All done now and about to head into the shower.

Afternoon, everyone! It's been a while since I last posted but I've been kind of popping in to check on what everyone's been doing. The summer has been crazy for me with a 19 month old and twins coming this fall, but I've been able to get my runs in and have two half marathons coming up in the next month and a half. First I have the Wild Half Marathon in Wildwood, NJ on August 26th. Anyone else from around me running in that one? The second is the Philadelphia Rock 'N Roll Half on September 13th. Those will be my last two before our twins arrive.

My family and I were down in WDW from June 11-22 and I was able to run pretty faithfully while there. I ran mostly indoors since I ran while my daughter was napping in the mid afternoon. The gyms at both Animal Kingdom Lodge and Wilderness Lodge were fantastic and the treadmills were awesome...I thought I had a top of the line treadmill here at home but wow was I wrong!

Anyway, was thinking of going for the Goofy in 2014. I haven't run a full marathon before so I was wondering if anyone here had incorporated their first marathon into the Goofy challenge. I know that if I am going to run a full anywhere, I want it to be in WDW but maybe I should just do the full in 2014 and then the Goofy in 2015?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter