Does having EP help with riding Hagrid's?

foolish-mortal

Your ghost host
We're staying at RPR and will have express passes. Does this help with riding Hagrid's? Not sure if I understand how to get a pass to ride. Is it something you do once a day or you can try multiple times a day? Thanks!

No express pass for Hagrid’s. But when they are busier, free virtual passes for a specific time offered a couple times in the day. Otherwise, best time to ride is be at the front of early entry, and at least get one ride in. Then check ride times in app, as sometimes in the mid afternoon or evening, lines are sometimes lower.

We're staying at RPR and will have express passes. Does this help with riding Hagrid's? Not sure if I understand how to get a pass to ride. Is it something you do once a day or you can try multiple times a day? Thanks!
EP isn't a 'pass' per se. It's a separate dedicated line for the attractions. You use your room key as access. Since you'll have unlimited EP, you can ride anytime and as many times as you like.
Hagrid's hasn't been added to the attractions that use EP, since it's still new-ish and popular. Eventually it should be added, like the other HP rides have been.

Each time we used the virtual queue for Hagrid’s, the line was no longer than 25-30 minutes any time of day. This was Saturday MLK weekend.

Just check the app every so often. When they release VQ spots, you can select your time and the number of passes you need.

I've seen trip reports where people got VQ spots but still waited 90 minutes in line. I thought the point of VQ was avoiding long waits, is that not the case?
That is the theory, but it doesn't always work. They give out blocks of tickets on a set schedule, presumably assuming that things will run smoothly. But if there is a breakdown or any other extended delay, then all the people with virtual tickets still want their chance to ride. So the lines can back up.

We rode numerous times over Thanksgiving. The first one was a 60-90 minute wait, while all of the other times were 15-30 minutes...

You have to keep checking the app. It really depends on how big the line gets...

Thanks- so it's not an every day thing like Rise? Do I check the VQ before park open, or is it always during the day as the line grows? Sorry-I haven't been to Universal since 2014, and none of this existed!

Thanks- so it's not an every day thing like Rise? Do I check the VQ before park open, or is it always during the day as the line grows? Sorry-I haven't been to Universal since 2014, and none of this existed!
You have to be in or near the parks to get a spot. They drop new times every few hours.

I've seen trip reports where people got VQ spots but still waited 90 minutes in line. I thought the point of VQ was avoiding long waits, is that not the case?

VQ especially now with COVID isn't really a fast pass. It is just to limit the amount of people in a particular line to maintain spacing. For example, if the line can safely accomodate 1000 people with spacing and 2000 show up, they activate the virtual queue so that people move elsewhere until it is time to come back. Both our pandemic trips they did a mixture of VQ and just Stand By, it just kind of randomly popped up here or there. We rode it quite a few times and only once on a VQ. The line moves quickly even when we were all the way back in the Sinbad theater right at opening. I would say we averaged about 30 minutes across all our rides, the longest wait being about 45 minutes, the shortest about 20 minutes. The EP helps in that we really weren't stressed about getting on other rides or them filling up, so it made us much more relaxed to wait for Hagrids.

You have to be in or near the parks to get a spot. They drop new times every few hours.

Can you get in the VQ for Hagrid's from Studios? I was thinking of taking daughter there first, to ride the train over to Islands of adventure, but don't want to miss a queue opportunity for Hagrid.

Can you get in the VQ for Hagrid's from Studios? I was thinking of taking daughter there first, to ride the train over to Islands of adventure, but don't want to miss a queue opportunity for Hagrid.
Yes; I've even gotten into it from the parking garages before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter