Do you unpack your suitcase and use the drawers, closet, etc? with poll

Do you unpack and use the closet and drawers?

• Yes, we unpack our suitcases and use the drawers and closet

Votes: 494 69.3%
  • No we do not unpack, we live out of our suitcase

Votes: 89 12.5%
  • We don't use drawers, only use the closet for some items, the rest stays in the luggage

Votes: 116 16.3%
  • We don't use the closet, but we use the drawers.

Votes: 14 2.0%

• Total voters
I don't agree with that. The risk does exist, of course. Hard sided luggage decreases this risk slightly. But as someone above said, BedBugs reproduce where they can have a blood meal and are attracted to Carbon Dioxide as a person sleeps and breathes. On an airplane the bugs may travel, but they won't be reproducing on the level that they would in a hotel room, near or on a bed, next to a blood source nightly. And on an airplane my luggage is out of my hands for 3 hours, which does not compare to my luggage being in a hotel room for 10 days, where families sleep, congregate and unload their home belongings that are packed in their suitcase.
Agree or not, your choice. There is as much a risk to getting bed bugs in your suitcase on the plane as there is in the room. Just how do you think many are brought in to Disney in the first place? From a suitcase that got them on the plane.

They may not have what they need to survive long but they sure do have a constant stream of bags. At Disney it's your 1 bag in there the whole time. On the plane you have hundreds of bags. I know where I find the odds are way lower to find them.

I use soft sided luggage and do carryon if at all possible when we fly. No issues with bed bugs during at least 40 Disney trips, with many split stays, and many more trips to other locations for work and vacation. Have had allergy issues. Our youngest has severe dust mite allergies. We avoid feather bedding and pillows for allergy reasons as week. We pack the antihistamines religiously. Always ask to defeather the rooms just in case.

I now unpack. Over the years I started to keep my outfits together in the suitcase then place them in the drawers. I then put my dirty clothes right back in the case so it's already packed, for the most, part to leave.

One great advantage to living in FL and just a few hours' drive from Disney is that I don't have to worry about packing / luggage restrictions. So even for a 4-day trip, I bring an absolutely huge, non-airplane-compliant bag, loaded with way more clothing and stuff than I actually need...I double up on underwear, socks, and bring 3-4 extra shirts and shorts, 4 pair of shoes, extra watches, glasses, books, etc. I just toss the big galoot in the car, roll it to my room/villa, and unpack. Since I have more than enough space, I don't have to pack carefully - so it's quite simple to open up and toss things into the drawers - my shirts are packed still on the hangers, so they just go right onto the closet bar. 2 minutes flat, I've got everything put away...and it takes just a few minutes more to pack it all back in the giant bag to go home.

Okay, am I the only one that finds this gross? Please use a laundry bag and not the drawers. And this is why we bring clorox wipes.

Absolutely. That's what I said in post earlier. How are people okay with admitting that they're using drawers as a hamper? I honestly don't even know if I'm gonna unpack next time...lysol wipes or not. Totally trashy!

One great advantage to living in FL and just a few hours' drive from Disney is that I don't have to worry about packing / luggage restrictions. So even for a 4-day trip, I bring an absolutely huge, non-airplane-compliant bag, loaded with way more clothing and stuff than I actually need...I double up on underwear, socks, and bring 3-4 extra shirts and shorts, 4 pair of shoes, extra watches, glasses, books, etc. I just toss the big galoot in the car, roll it to my room/villa, and unpack. Since I have more than enough space, I don't have to pack carefully - so it's quite simple to open up and toss things into the drawers - my shirts are packed still on the hangers, so they just go right onto the closet bar. 2 minutes flat, I've got everything put away...and it takes just a few minutes more to pack it all back in the giant bag to go home.

Big galoot, lol. Lucky for sure
Absolutely. That's what I said in post earlier. How are people okay with admitting that they're using drawers as a hamper? I honestly don't even know if I'm gonna unpack next time...lysol wipes or not. Totally trashy!

I guess this is why I wrote this thread. I never used the drawers because I felt they were not likely too clean, I don't know what is really being put in them, bedbugs, etc. Then I watched some youtube videos to see some room setups in resorts, and one family kept talking about drawer space, unpacking, etc. And I literally was shocked, for some reason never really entered my mind anyone was using the drawers. Hence this post. I thought I was in the majority who don't use the drawers but I am in the very small minority apparently. But yeah, I guess this goes to show you really don't know what others do and probably best to wipe them out if you want to use them.

Last edited:
Yeah I am a bit confused too. Is the dirty laundry staying in the suitcase the whole time? I am assuming it doesn't. So then by leaving everything in the suitcase aren't you just slowly unpacking your suitcase a day at a time as you wear things and then re-packing it all back up dirty at then end, versus unpacking it all in the beginning and re-packing it all back up dirty at the end?

We pack in packing cubes with different coloured cubes for each family member. We have cubes that are different sizes to use for different purposes. Small cubes have socks, medium have pants, large have heavy sweatshirts or sweaters. You get the idea. As we use the clothes I put them in a small folded nylon duffle bag brought for that purpose. Before we go home, I go to the guest laundry and wash all the dirty clothes. I do that because I will not put my dirty clothes in our clothes dryer and I like to 'dry' the clothes on high heat as soon as we get home to kill any bedbug stowaways. (The nylon duffle bag and packing cubes also get washed and dried.)

I don't unpack. I use the suitcase stand in the closet. I fear I will forget something if I use the drawers.
Besides, unpacking the drawers is depressing and means I am leaving.

If I'm going to be anywhere for longer than one night, I unpack and put everything away. My son, on the other hand, never unpacks and lives out of his suitcase.

I never use the drawers in any hotel. I only use the closet if I have "nice" clothes that need to be hung up, which is never the case at Disney. I just live out of my suitcase. It's interesting to me that so many of you use the drawers/closet, but that's probably because my family/people I travel with are always the "live out a suitcase" type.

I guess this is why I wrote this thread. I never used the drawers because I felt they were not likely too clean, I don't know what is really being put in them, bedbugs, etc. Then I watched some youtube videos to see some room setups in resorts, and one family kept talking about drawer space, unpacking, etc. And I literally was shocked, for some reason never really entered my mind anyone was using the drawers. Hence this post. I thought I was in the majority who don't use the drawers but I am in the very small minority apparently. But yeah, I guess this goes to show you really don't know what others do and probably best to wipe them out if you want to use them.

I agree, I would never consider using the drawers for clean clothes and I am truly shocked how many do. Just to clarify for all the comments made, we use the plastic bag in the closet for socks and underwear (I don't even want to pack those back in my suitcase without being in a bag), but jeans, shorts, shirts, and pjs go into a couple of the drawers. If we are a family of 5 with a minimum of four suitcases of clothes, there just isn't space in the room for all the dirty clothes that accumulate in a week. Knowing how many use them, I will pack a few garbage bags to keep in the drawers.

We actually use the drawers, part of the reason I like the packing cubes so much, unpacking takes like 5 minutes

We, and by we I mean I, unpack sometimes and will put stuff in drawers but rarely use closet (except to store luggage maybe). We are DVC and go 2-3 times a year and do short stays or split stays most of the time so if we are only at a resort for 3-4 nights I tend to just live out of suitcase.

When my husband and I were kidless, we'd rarely do more than hang an item or two in the closet to air out. With a family of 5, we unpack so that we're not digging through everyone else's stuff to get to what we need. We also need more than one suitcase, so we'd have to use the luggage rack plus floor space if we wanted to live out of suitcases.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter