Do Disney travel agents get you better deals??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I admire you Disney 1975 for what you do, but I have to disagree that giving back a huge part of your commission is what makes you a good agent. I bet that it is your knowledge and expertise and helpfulness that makes you a good agent. My closest friend is a home based agent. She spends countless hours helping with dining, fastpasses, resort choice, etc. She gives goodies to clients with their documents that she purchases with her own money. Giving back a huge part of the commission is not necessarily good business. She doesn't have trouble getting clients, so she must be doing something right. Why should she not earn a decent wage for her work? I am not trying to "argue" with you, I just think home based agents should be paid their worth.

I am not saying it is what "makes" me a good agent, but its included in all the things I do. Unfortunately to compete with the big boys, you have to give a little extra to earn the client. While your friend may be giving goodies, I give extra cash back. To me its a win-win. I have a day job. I became certified to earn myself a little money on my own family vacations. I help out family and friends and even with many many many hundreds of co-workers who know what I do, they still book on their own! WHY ??? !!! I dont know. People often question the reason for an agent, with so many websites available to compare deals. Biggest myth is that they pay for the agents services, thus the trip costing more. With Disney, especially, people think they will lose control of making their own reservations and changing their resort 10 times. All not true, and when you are a small agency, you need these extra incentives to get a customer.

I've also used that agency, a friend here at work has as well. I only stayed 3 nights and had 2 day passes (with a bonus water parks/Disney quest use) and it was as if the tickets were free compared to the Disney rates... so for me it was a great deal (I stayed at POP end of May). I am excited to see some of you saying they have deals for early next year already, I'll need to get in touch. My previous trip I used Orbitz to book the room I had with the extra 15% off. Any savings is great! Means I can go more often ;) The downside to that agency I guess would be the limit on 8 day tickets, if you are going for a long time and would like 10 days. But you do get that one bonus day which was enough for us any way. We went to Disney Quest with it and my son loved it there.

I've also used that agency, a friend here at work has as well. I only stayed 3 nights and had 2 day passes (with a bonus water parks/Disney quest use) and it was as if the tickets were free compared to the Disney rates... so for me it was a great deal (I stayed at POP end of May). I am excited to see some of you saying they have deals for early next year already, I'll need to get in touch. My previous trip I used Orbitz to book the room I had with the extra 15% off. Any savings is great! Means I can go more often ;) The downside to that agency I guess would be the limit on 8 day tickets, if you are going for a long time and would like 10 days. But you do get that one bonus day which was enough for us any way. We went to Disney Quest with it and my son loved it there.

You don't have to book the tickets through them to get the room discounts and there other places you can get discounted tickets through for more days :).

I don't think we are allowed to PM the name of the agency. I know people do and moderators come on here and give warnings.

There's a lot of risk when an agency negotiates a group block, which is why most don't do it--even the large ones. What has been put out here is a rather simplistic explanation and doesn't go into what is commissionable and what is not, as well as the terms and conditions of the specific contract. Not every agency is going to get the same nightly rate either. Its like comparing apples to coconuts.

I am not saying it is what "makes" me a good agent, but its included in all the things I do. Unfortunately to compete with the big boys, you have to give a little extra to earn the client. While your friend may be giving goodies, I give extra cash back. To me its a win-win. I have a day job. I became certified to earn myself a little money on my own family vacations. I help out family and friends and even with many many many hundreds of co-workers who know what I do, they still book on their own! WHY ??? !!! I dont know. People often question the reason for an agent, with so many websites available to compare deals. Biggest myth is that they pay for the agents services, thus the trip costing more. With Disney, especially, people think they will lose control of making their own reservations and changing their resort 10 times. All not true, and when you are a small agency, you need these extra incentives to get a customer.

I understand :). I also get the frustration of co-workers booking their own. I used to do it out of my home and had my feeling hurt a few times. I work in an office now, so I don't sweat it as much, but my heart is still very understanding of the home agents out there including my friend.

Would it be better to wait for Disney's March discounts to come out before contacting this "agency" for a deal, or would they already have their deal before the discounts are out?

Would it be better to wait for Disney's March discounts to come out before contacting this "agency" for a deal, or would they already have their deal before the discounts are out?
That TA has yet to release the deals for March, so they might release them around the same time. Its just a waiting game.

Was it a discounted rate or just the same that Disney would quote?
It was not rack rate. Since Disney has not yet released any discounts for next March, I don't know how it will compare to Disney's special offers. It is, however, a fairly good "room only" rate, compared to Disney's standard pricing that is now available

I just emailed one of the agents there and asked about agency exclusive discounts during March and was told they don't have any but the person offered a $50 gift card if I went with them.

I just emailed one of the agents there and asked about agency exclusive discounts during March and was told they don't have any but the person offered a $50 gift card if I went with them.
What March dates were you looking for? They are quoting their exclusive discounts for March 2-17, 2017, right now.

Last edited:
Disney regular rate $4000
Disney convention rate $2900, resold by agency exclusive at $3200

You save $800, agency earns $300

Something like that

No, this is incorrect. I'm not sure why this speculation is flying around on this thread? As others have mentioned, agencies contract through the groups department to block off rooms at a discounted rate for agency exclusive deals. (Different agencies negotiate different rates and, yes, it's a long, complicated process) Those rates are then passed to the client with no upcharge. The agency never takes payment - all payments go directly to Disney, so this scenario wouldn't even work. Commissions are based on rooms and any added on dining package components. There is NO commission on group ticket sales. Agents actually earn less commission on agency exclusives than on regular WDTC bookings, however, exclusives sell very well for the agencies that put them together, so, in the end, it's a win-win for the agency and the client.

Im not saying that is exactly what they are doing, Im just stating that is a possible reason why some are priced differently. It is absolutely correct that some agencies give part of their commission as an extra discount / incentive to book with them. How can anyone complete with D Travel Co. if the prices were all the same across the board? You cant.

Perhaps. But your speculation does not apply to agencies that are negotiating room rates through the Disney groups department.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter