Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

After jonesing to stay at some of the deluxes for a long time, my partner and I have finally realized that we are owned by moderates for life. (CSR taught us that last year.) They just give us exactly what we like in a Disney vacation. But I've always had kind of a block about French Quarter, because it seems so close to a Value in terms of its level of amenities. So for those of you who love French Quarter, how does it differ in your mind/heart from, say, Pop, considering that it has a lower level of amenities relative to the other moderates? I'm asking because I'm trying to find the love for it for potential future stays. Many thanks!

At POFQ, I love the smallness (especially in comparison to all the other moderates), the vibe, the theming, the jazz music, the lobby smell, Scat Cat's club, Sassagoula Floatworks, the hot tub away from the kids in the pool, the boat to DS, and the Cajun campfire in the courtyard away from the pool.

I do love both Pop and POFQ, but I miss the hot tub at Pop. But in some ways I find Pop superior to all moderates, especially in terms of bus transportation and counter service options.

I think you have to ask yourself what amenities you love at CSR. Do you use their health club, spa or salon? Do you eat at their TS restaurants daily? Do you use their quiet pools? If you do, then maybe POFQ is not for you.

After jonesing to stay at some of the deluxes for a long time, my partner and I have finally realized that we are owned by moderates for life. (CSR taught us that last year.) They just give us exactly what we like in a Disney vacation. But I've always had kind of a block about French Quarter, because it seems so close to a Value in terms of its level of amenities. So for those of you who love French Quarter, how does it differ in your mind/heart from, say, Pop, considering that it has a lower level of amenities relative to the other moderates? I'm asking because I'm trying to find the love for it for potential future stays. Many thanks!
The size sold me. We stayed at POR the first time and when we road past POFQ I wasn't impressed and didn't think we'd care for it. I didn't look much. It reminded me of a dirt cheap chain of motels here in my area. But, we tried it when they included it in the AP discounts last year. And wouldn't you know we loved it. I do like the size. I'm not sure where you connect it to Pop though. It's not anything like Pop. And you are a short walk to POR if you feel a strong need for a bar or TS restaurant. Though they do have the small bar at FQ.
Anyway, it's become our favorite resort, both of them and I don't see us returning to a Deluxe unless we have a strong need to walk to Epcot or something.
Having tried the other Mods I can't say we like any of them but we do love the PO ones. I'd probably like CSR fine but we had a very bad experience on our first, and only stay, so I don't foresee ever giving them another chance. CBR was alright but not better than PO. So PO is home

Someone posted that the mods don't have WiFi. This is true?
You may have seen on the attachment comparison I posted on the previous page, that the "Deluxe Resorts have wireless internet" - and it wasn't mentioned on the Mods for Values. As I stated when I posted the chart, it was from a few years back...that is definitely one of the things that has changed over the years. We found the wi-fi at POFQ very good and dependable. Now, if they could just get the TV signals...

You may have seen on the attachment comparison I posted on the previous page, that the "Deluxe Resorts have wireless internet" - and it wasn't mentioned on the Mods for Values. As I stated when I posted the chart, it was from a few years back...that is definitely one of the things that has changed over the years. We found the wi-fi at POFQ very good and dependable. Now, if they could just get the TV signals...

Glad to hear this. I couldn't remember--my very tech-savvy husband often rigs up things and I have no idea what's going on. My daughter has an online final she must complete while we are there. No, or spotty Internet would be bad. Very bad.

I have to say that French Quarter is my absolute favorite Disney resort and I have stayed at all level of resorts (except for DVC resorts). It holds such a special place in my heart, and it's hard to put into words - but I do get homesick for it. I don't think it's a scaled down moderate at all. I know it doesn't boast a gym or a table service restaurant, but what it does offer is a tranquility and quaintness with a lovely theme. In the evenings, my daughter and I love to stroll down the path along the river to Riverside and back after a day in the parks. The fact you can board a water taxi for a relaxing ride with beautiful views to Disney Springs and are a short walk away from Riverside where you can enjoy all the amenities it offers (such as Ye Haa Bob, Boatwright's, Riverside Mill Food Court, additional pools, carriage rides, etc.). In addition, FQ has Scat Cat's which frequently features a couple of the entertainers from the former Epcot Off Kilter band. I personally think the moderates are the "best bang for the buck". In my mind, the only thing moderates may lack compared to a deluxe is walking proximity to the parks, or a monorail running through it and a larger room; but those definitely come with a price tag. I know some may think it's not worth to pay the extra money for a stay at FQ over Pop (or any value), but for me who has stayed at both, the extra $ spent is worth it. FQ gives you a unique dimension to your vacation - it's a respite after a day in the parks and it transports you to a completely different (but enchanting and charming) atmosphere. Although it may not be the the choice for everyone, it is definitely the love of my Disney lovin' heart. ::MickeyMo

First time post...I have been checking out the Port Orleans resorts for 2018.
Testing to see how to post...does someone know how to add a profile pic? Thx

Last edited:

I think it is more about CSR being more of a Moderate+ because of it being the main convention resort and offering amenities that other mods don't...I honestly think the only amenity POFQ is missing is a full service restaurant, and for us, that is not an issue...we have never eaten in any of the moderate restaurants...we eat in the parks, disney springs, or the deluxe restaurants.

Any updates on the pool refurb. We will be there in 2 weeks and can't wait to try the slide.

Still closed at the moment, I'm trying to get confirmation as to whether it will be re-opened by the weekend or not. Hours will be 10am-8pm when it reopens by the way.

Andre

Still closed at the moment, I'm trying to get confirmation as to whether it will be re-opened by the weekend or not. Hours will be 10am-8pm when it reopens by the way.

Andre
Thanks so mcg. It will be our first time at OLGA and we will have a great time regardless but I really played up the waterside.

At POFQ, I love the smallness (especially in comparison to all the other moderates), the vibe, the theming, the jazz music, the lobby smell, Scat Cat's club, Sassagoula Floatworks, the hot tub away from the kids in the pool, the boat to DS, and the Cajun campfire in the courtyard away from the pool.

I do love both Pop and POFQ, but I miss the hot tub at Pop. But in some ways I find Pop superior to all moderates, especially in terms of bus transportation and counter service options.

I think you have to ask yourself what amenities you love at CSR. Do you use their health club, spa or salon? Do you eat at their TS restaurants daily? Do you use their quiet pools? If you do, then maybe POFQ is not for you.
Someone posted that the mods don't have WiFi. This is true?
We stayed at POFQ in October and had wifi in our room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter