Disneyland Maxpass coming later this year

That definitely sounds like something @lockedoutlogic would say. Can't say I disagree.

I honestly didn't think of it that way...:scratchin

But wdw is NOT a hotel operator...they have always considered it a burden and aren't nearly as efficient as they should be 45 years in.

The problem is wdw is exactly what I have been beating for about four years:

The customer...ahem...has allowed them to open the retail Pandora's box and push everything towards maximum charges with no backlash.

That's the beginning, the end, and the middle. Until the customer rejects things at high cost to an acceptable level...the ball is going to continue to bounce.

Last edited:
Yep...

And it will make wifi very marginal. And makes a lot of sense for disney. Everybody has the phone...if the market moves away from hotspots and allows them to save the cost of them...go for it.

Except that most companies that offer wifi to customers aren't really doing it for the benefit of the customer. They do it because its another method of tracking people. For WDW, its probably telling Disney details like how many people are in each shop at any one time, how long then linger in gift shop after exiting a specific ride, how many times each guest stop for food/drink. Endless metrics that they can then use to figure out how to make more money out of every guest.

Except that most companies that offer wifi to customers aren't really doing it for the benefit of the customer. They do it because its another method of tracking people. For WDW, its probably telling Disney details like how many people are in each shop at any one time, how long then linger in gift shop after exiting a specific ride, how many times each guest stop for food/drink. Endless metrics that they can then use to figure out how to make more money out of every guest.

The rfid would seem to eliminate that need...at least in wdw. Not sure about the desire to use wifi for such purposes in Anaheim.

Small updates I've gathered from the blog:

There will be some sort of difference in product/price for AP holders who already have photopass downloads
Users will be able to book for DCA while in DL (no word on if they will still be disconnected from each other, allowing guests to book 2 passes at once)
You must be inside a park to book passes

Small updates I've gathered from the blog:

There will be some sort of difference in product/price for AP holders who already have photopass downloads
Users will be able to book for DCA while in DL (no word on if they will still be disconnected from each other, allowing guests to book 2 passes at once)
You must be inside a park to book passes

Any word on if they're going to install a functional wifi network to combat the overloaded data networks so the app will actually be useable on busier days when this maxpass will be most beneficial?

Any word on if they're going to install a functional wifi network to combat the overloaded data networks so the app will actually be useable on busier days when this maxpass will be most beneficial?

Nothing about any wifi instillation mentioned anywhere.
Every answer that was posted yesterday was very obviously Legal Approved and did not stray from those 3 facts.

Nothing about any wifi instillation mentioned anywhere.
Every answer that was posted yesterday was very obviously Legal Approved and did not stray from those 3 facts.

So basically they're going to be charging people for something they will not even be able to use. What a swell idea.

So basically they're going to be charging people for something they will not even be able to use. What a swell idea.

This was discussed here previously, but unlimited data is coming back to the major carriers. And there's no requirement that people purchase MaxPass.
For those who do want to use it, they can factor in the extra data costs.

And honestly, if it's anything like WDW wifi it can stay away. I cannot stay connected to it for more than a few minutes, even if I'm standing in one spot and it is the most frustrating thing I experience at the parks.

The rfid would seem to eliminate that need...at least in wdw. Not sure about the desire to use wifi for such purposes in Anaheim.

Hmm I wonder if maybe though the rfid part of the magicband solution hasn't been the success it was supposed to be? There has got to be a reason why they've not bothered to roll it out to any of the other resorts around the world. Paris was supposed to be getting it a couple of years ago now but its gone very quiet on that for example.

Passive RFID works great. So its great for entry tickets, paying for things, hotel room access etc. But the active RFID - generally that doesn't seem to have taken off anywhere that I can think of. It makes me wonder if Disney are really actually even using it? Has anyone ever really been greeted magically by a character by name like was supposed to happen for example?

Hmm I wonder if maybe though the rfid part of the magicband solution hasn't been the success it was supposed to be? There has got to be a reason why they've not bothered to roll it out to any of the other resorts around the world. Paris was supposed to be getting it a couple of years ago now but its gone very quiet on that for example.

Passive RFID works great. So its great for entry tickets, paying for things, hotel room access etc. But the active RFID - generally that doesn't seem to have taken off anywhere that I can think of. It makes me wonder if Disney are really actually even using it? Has anyone ever really been greeted magically by a character by name like was supposed to happen for example?
I think it's the overall expense that has kept it from going to other resorts. You also have to look at demographics. WDW is a world destination. Many other Disney parks are not.

Paris is still supposed to get some aspects last I heard but again won't get full on MyMagic+.

This was discussed here previously, but unlimited data is coming back to the major carriers. And there's no requirement that people purchase MaxPass.
For those who do want to use it, they can factor in the extra data costs.

And honestly, if it's anything like WDW wifi it can stay away. I cannot stay connected to it for more than a few minutes, even if I'm standing in one spot and it is the most frustrating thing I experience at the parks.

Unlimited data doesn't matter at Disneyland resort. I currently have unlimited data (and have for years), but there are so many people in such a condensed area that the data networks become jammed and do not function on even moderately busy days. The MaxPass is something I would love to use and add to my pass, but it is currently worthless because the networks do not work due to sheer volume.

On the worst days you cannot even send a text message in the park.

I think the consensus is that the rfid "tracking" that they talked up was an elaborate excuse to pay for a drastic IT upgrade to the stockholders...that was really the net gain but overhead investments are "not tolerated" anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter