Disneyland Maxpass coming later this year

As a Disneyland goer I don't think WDW regulars realize how small our walkways are! This saves you a miserable sprint/crawl to get across jammed pack sidewalks. On busy days it's very time consuming all to retrieve a piece of paper.

As a Disneyland goer I don't think WDW regulars realize how small our walkways are! This saves you a miserable sprint/crawl to get across jammed pack sidewalks. On busy days it's very time consuming all to retrieve a piece of paper.

It would have saved me the time I had to sit and wait for RSR to tick to a time we could use while my fiance was off riding Grizzly River Rapids over and over. If we had the app and could book on the phone I could have just checked the posted return time from my phone and grabbed it between rides on the Rapids.

He's saying you don't need to be on Wi-Fi to get the digital FPs, you can just use the data on your cellphone. I would imagine it won't take a ton of data, so I don't think unlimited data will be necessary. It would be very unusual for someone who has a smartphone who can download the DL App not to have data (actually on most carriers I believe it is impossible to have a smartphone without a data plan).

You can definitely have a smartphone without data -- we have one without data and have no intention of paying that much money to add data. (We also access MDE on a tablet with wifi, so that's an even lower cost alternative.) I can pay for half my tickets to Disney for what data would cost me in a year!

For DLR, whether you have an unlimited data plan or not, for this new MaxPass to be in anyway advantageous, DLR MUST install a wifi network that is functional. Right now on a moderately busy day, you cannot access the app (let alone any other kind of social media, internet, iPhone messaging, etc) because the data networks are so jammed rendering this whole MaxPass useless. Until they fix the clogged data network, there is no point to wasting your money on this.

That being said, I could totally see myself splurging for it if they fix the connectivity situation and adding it to my AP. I am quite fond of stacking fastpasses strategically to maximize my ride experience, and this would make it that much easier.

I'm curious, since I've never done it.... how do e-Tickets work on the app now? From what I can tell, you can buy more than one eTicket on the app under one account and scan them all at the gate to exchange them for the paper tickets. It would seem, then, that the MaxPass would only have to be bought on one account (eventually...maybe not now, but eventually) and it would be for length of ticket. You would scan the app for redemption. This saves the gate from having to hand you a hard ticket...

I'm curious, since I've never done it.... how do e-Tickets work on the app now? From what I can tell, you can buy more than one eTicket on the app under one account and scan them all at the gate to exchange them for the paper tickets. It would seem, then, that the MaxPass would only have to be bought on one account (eventually...maybe not now, but eventually) and it would be for length of ticket. You would scan the app for redemption. This saves the gate from having to hand you a hard ticket...

The way that MaxPass is being described is that it is tied directly to a ticket - not an account. So even if I have 4 activated tickets, I only have one MaxPass slot reserved to book FP on. In order to book for all 4, I would have to purchase 4 slots.

Or to compare it to the current MDX setup for WDW (the same backend system is used for both parks, they are just utilized differently):
I am a family of 4- Liz, Joe, Sam, Rick
I am the primary account holder - Joe, Sam, and Rick do not have MDX logins, just profiles under my main account
I purchase MaxPass for myself only. This gives me Photopass access to download all 4 profiles photos. But I can only book FP on mobile for the ticket assigned to 'Liz'.
Because Joe, Sam, and Rick do not have a MaxPass entitlement, their FP cannot be booked.

At DLR, the accounts would simply be Ticket 1, 2, 3 or 4. Only Ticket 1 has the FP booking capability, no matter what other tickets may have been purchased or activated at the same time

In my world of make believe, I am hoping that Maxpass is offered as a no extra cost perk for those staying at a Disney resort. As the song goes: "Dream until your dream comes true."

In my world of make believe, I am hoping that Maxpass is offered as a no extra cost perk for those staying at a Disney resort. As the song goes: "Dream until your dream comes true."

That seems like it would be appropriate incentive to book a resort room. As a Floridian, when I was considering DLR, I wouldn't pay the prices to stay on property when I can pay so much less to stay across the street.

That seems like it would be appropriate incentive to book a resort room. As a Floridian, when I was considering DLR, I wouldn't pay the prices to stay on property when I can pay so much less to stay across the street.

With only 3 onsite hotels, they really don't seem to have trouble keeping the rooms full at DLR. This is not WDW with 25 hotels to keep full.

People aren't going to pay 100-500 more a night for something that costs a family of 4 $40 a day.

People aren't going to pay 100-500 more a night for something that costs a family of 4 $40 a day.

Yet, people pay for the dining plan.

With only 3 onsite hotels, they really don't seem to have trouble keeping the rooms full at DLR. This is not WDW with 25 hotels to keep full.

I'm not saying it's enough to make *ME* book, but it might sway someone to staying onsite vs across the street.

Don't doubt the consumer.

People pay hundreds of dollars for earlier access to FP+ and 10 extra days of dining reservations here in Florida, and both of those are free

Don't doubt the consumer.

People pay hundreds of dollars for earlier access to FP+ and 10 extra days of dining reservations here in Florida, and both of those are free

WDW includes much more for free for on site guests. If any one is booking onsite just for the FP+ and dinning then they are being silly. Really people book onsite in FL because of the convenience especially with transportation. Magical Express and the property buses can drastically save a family the cost of a rental car. DL does not have a free airport shuttle, and the ART is consistent and affordable but there are more then enough hotels with in walking distance of the Disney property. In FL you can't get extra hours for free off site. You must be an onsite guest to get that perk no matter how many days worth of tickets you buy. In sharp contrast in DL you can get a free morning magic hour at DL with any 3 or more day ticket.

As PP pointed out DL has 3 hotels right now and those hotels are filling just fine and on top of that Disney really would have to compete on a far bigger level to get people to book that weren't going to book there in the first place. Again when you are talking 100 or more a night that would be like saying people who stay at Value would suddenly splurge for Deluxe if they got 3 more FP+ at deluxe. Sure there may be a handful that do it but realistically it won't bring in a ton of new business or upgrades. Now if Disney charged $10 more per a person per a day across the board for those additional 3 we would see almost every deluxe hotel guest paying the upchage, a large amount of moderates, and a decent amount of values which would be more value to the company then a couple of value guests upgrading to deluxe.

One thing that has always been clear to me when looking at the great Disney parks business is that DL and WDW are two completely different beasts and trying to compare the two would leave a lot of room for short comings. You can not run DL like WDW or WDW like DL they serve drastically different demographics and markets. That's one reason DL gets a ton of changes and specialty things that WDW doesn't get (Haunted Mansion over lay, space mountain overlays, candy cane making).

WDW includes much more for free for on site guests. If any one is booking onsite just for the FP+ and dinning then they are being silly. Really people book onsite in FL because of the convenience especially with transportation. Magical Express and the property buses can drastically save a family the cost of a rental car. DL does not have a free airport shuttle, and the ART is consistent and affordable but there are more then enough hotels with in walking distance of the Disney property. In FL you can't get extra hours for free off site. You must be an onsite guest to get that perk no matter how many days worth of tickets you buy. In sharp contrast in DL you can get a free morning magic hour at DL with any 3 or more day ticket.

As PP pointed out DL has 3 hotels right now and those hotels are filling just fine and on top of that Disney really would have to compete on a far bigger level to get people to book that weren't going to book there in the first place. Again when you are talking 100 or more a night that would be like saying people who stay at Value would suddenly splurge for Deluxe if they got 3 more FP+ at deluxe. Sure there may be a handful that do it but realistically it won't bring in a ton of new business or upgrades. Now if Disney charged $10 more per a person per a day across the board for those additional 3 we would see almost every deluxe hotel guest paying the upchage, a large amount of moderates, and a decent amount of values which would be more value to the company then a couple of value guests upgrading to deluxe.

One thing that has always been clear to me when looking at the great Disney parks business is that DL and WDW are two completely different beasts and trying to compare the two would leave a lot of room for short comings. You can not run DL like WDW or WDW like DL they serve drastically different demographics and markets. That's one reason DL gets a ton of changes and specialty things that WDW doesn't get (Haunted Mansion over lay, space mountain overlays, candy cane making).

That's because WDW is a hotel company that operates theme parks.

DLR is a theme park business that operates hotels.

If any one is booking onsite just for the FP+ and dinning then they are being silly
People book $25/person breakfasts at BOG for an empty park picture. Guests do silly things. And there are whole threads on throwaway rooms - why else would someone do that? Booking a Disney/Good Neighbor hotel through Disney to get MaxPass is not something I'd put past anyone

I am intimately familiar with the fact that the two resorts are different with different demographics. But I also know Disney marketing, and I would be less than surprised if they added this as a ~perk. Any increase in desirability is a decrease that can be made in discounts, and incremental revenue is important when operating at capacity.
And the psychology of making it a perk could definitely make it sell more. It becomes this Special Thing, and special things sell.

That's because WDW is a hotel company that operates theme parks.

DLR is a theme park business that operates hotels.

That is probably the most direct and easy way that I've seen the difference explained. I also know WDW is considered an international destination and DL really is a California/Western US theme park that just so happens to draw in others. It only became a travel destination with in recent memory. I remember my grandparents had no desire to go to Disneyland but when WDW opened they started planning a trip and made it there the year Epcot opened. I should ask them what made a difference in their mind.

Well, good for one or two people for one or two days ... not so much if every member of a family 5 has to get it for 5 days (or even 2 as that would be $100 vs $80 for the current photopass)

And don't forget, the $10 is an "introductory price". Who knows what it might be by the time D23 rolls around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter