Disney vs private transportation to MCO after cruise

barbja99

Mouseketeer
We're going to fly back from our cruise vacation on debarkation day. I asked about getting Disney transfers to MCO and they said $35pp. There are 5 of us. Is it better to use the transfers with Disney with or private transportation (like a limo company)? If there were only 2 of us, we'd most definitely go with the transfers, but the cost/benefit goes down the more people you have.

How do the transfers work? Is it like a cattle call? Is there a lot of waiting around?

We are a family of 4 and have done the town car and the Disney shuttle. With 5 people you will have to go to a van which is more money then a town car . We took the Disney shuttle last time and are doing it this time because it is so easy. Walk out of the terminal people walk towards the buses , they ask you were your going and direct you to a bus, once the bus is full or the luggage part is your off. Not hard at all . It beats trying to find the town car person and all the craziness of people coming and going in the same spot. People are arriving to go on the next cruise as you are leaving. Not so say it isn't doable.

Lots of people like to rent cars too , that is a cheapest option but not hassle free to us.

We have done both DCL and private transfers (FL Tours) a both are very smooth.

DCL transfers, you exit out and a porter directs you to the next available bus going to your destination. As you can imagine with so many people exiting the ship at the same time it doesn't take long for the bus to fill up. I think the longest we waited was 10-15 mins.

Private transfers you are directed out to the curbside check in area where your private transportation company picks you up at the scheduled time you pre-arranged.

We prefer private transfers more for the arrival being able to get there when the terminal opens instead of having to wait at the resort.

We were a party of 7, and used Happy Limo. It was $145 for a private van - way cheaper than DCL. IMO DCL only makes sens if you are travelling in a party of 2.

I personally would do disney transfers for a group of 4 or less, because the savings of a private transfer isn't worth the hassle. I think it's more convenient taking the disney transfers because you dont even need to worry about picking up you luggage at the airport. The only inconvenience is if you're coming from the resorts, it takes a while until you make it to the port. The schedule isnt flexible

We have used private transportation both to and from port. Our favorite is spaceport transport, they use a mini van instead of town car so there is more room. The cost was $92 (cash) each way plus tip when we last used them in November 2014. Any time we used a service they were right outside and we didn't have any issues finding them.

I'll also point out, if you are flying on a domestic flight on a participating airline, you can do onboard Airline Check in. DCL will check you in for your flight, and give you your boarding passes and luggage tags. You have to register for this onboard, it's not automatic. You leave your bags outside your room the last night and the next time you see them is in your home airport. So much less hassle.

What time does the 1st shuttle bus usually leave? Do they fill up pretty quickly at 8:00?

If we are on a non-participating airline is it really that big of an advantage to leave our bags outside the night before instead of having all of our stuff with us and walking it off of the ship?

Thanks

We use private transportation to the port but DCL on the way home. Worth the extra money to have them take the bags on the last night & not see them again until we arrive home. We can't get a flight home before 3 so it saves us from having to drag the luggage thru the airport until 1.

What time does the 1st shuttle bus usually leave? Do they fill up pretty quickly at 8:00?

If we are on a non-participating airline is it really that big of an advantage to leave our bags outside the night before instead of having all of our stuff with us and walking it off of the ship?

Thanks

We actually waited around outside the port to soak in more of port canaveral before we boarded the buses, they fill quickly and get going to MCO in a hurry. We had a 12:30 flight and were in no hurry to get to the airport.

If you're considering walking off the ship with your luggage keep in mind you'll have to take it with you to breakfast if you choose to eat. Once you leave your stateroom the last morning, they want you gone for good so they can start turning rooms.

We use private transportation to the port but DCL on the way home. Worth the extra money to have them take the bags on the last night & not see them again until we arrive home. We can't get a flight home before 3 so it saves us from having to drag the luggage thru the airport until 1.
This is not true you still have to collect your bags to go on the buses to the airport. Only way you don't is to use one of the airlines that will take you luggage right to the airport. Not sure which one that is since we always use Southwest and take our luggage with us.

Remember too that if you take DCL tranfers they drop you off on the bottom level and you have to go up and over to get to the airline lines luggage drop off.

The majority of Domestic airlines participate in the Onboard Check in program. Unfortunately Southwest doesn't. To say that my statement wasn't true is totally wrong. My last 2 cruises I have left my bags outside my room on the last night. They were transported to airport for us. The only thing we carried off were our carry on bags. Plan on doing it again in 3 weeks when I get off the Dream.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter