Disney Store Cast Members Enjoy Warmth, too!

DisneyLifer87

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone! I'm a long time Disney traveler and a cast member of two years at the Disney Store in Minnesota. We are traveling to the World very soon on a last minute vacation to escape to warmer weather. I'm here to share my adventures with you on what I hope will be a live report once we leave. For now, you can have some of our excitement as we count down the days!

The Trip:
We will be in Disney World from January 29th - February 3rd (Sunday to Friday) and staying at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge. This is our 3rd stay at this resort - it's basically our new home.

The Cast:
xmastime.jpg

I am Meagan, a 29 year old who works part-time Disney and full-time teaching high school English at an online Charter School. My DH is 28 and works at an auto salvage yard outside (even when it's well below zero as it has been this week). I am a Disney fan whereas DH is just a fan of taking vacations to warmer climates - or taking vacations in general because it means he doesn't have to be at work.

Special Appearances by...
A fellow teacher of mine is also traveling this week with her family, so she may make some cameos. I am also planning on meeting up with a former coworker or two who left the Store for the Disney College Program.

I'm glad to have you along for the ride. I hope you find it enjoyable!

Day One - Traveling and some Magic!

I have tried really hard not to over-plan our stay. DH and I are really only taking this vacation because the stars aligned (AKA free flights with miles and discounts as a cast member). We are taking a shorter stay than usual and are just looking to relax in the warmer weather. But, if I have a plan and just persuade him to follow me in the parks, then what he doesn't know will not hurt him! :rolleyes1

Our flight is at 9am and my mother will be taking us, in addition to taking care of our kitty Belle in our absence. A little side note about Belle - she is a 3 year old tortoiseshell with a very feisty attitude. Our November 2015 trip, my mom cared for her and our elderly kitty Simba (21 at the time) and Belle may have spent the whole time hissing at my mom in a dark corner. :sad2: Here are are in January 2017 and Belle is still feisty, but this time she will be alone as we unfortunately lost Simba last October at the age of 22 to kidney failure. It will be interesting to see if Belle changes, or if she's still a little naughty in our absence.

We intend to arrive at the airport around 7am to get through security and grab some breakfast before our departure. Our anticipated arrival in Orlando is 1:22pm. Past experiences have told me that we should arrive at Animal Kingdom Lodge around 2:30-2:45pm depending on lines and waiting time. I've done online check-in, however our time is technically for 3pm. No worries - we love lunch at the Mara!

2:30-3pm: Check-in and enjoy lunch at The Mara (the debate for resort mugs will occur here depending on our room location)
3:15-3:30pm: Head on the Bus to Magic Kingdom (our first park, of course!)

3:50pm: FastPass+ for Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin (window is 3:30pm - 4:30pm)
4:15pm: Single Rider for Space Mountain

I should add here that DH does not like Roller Coasters. You will notice our FP+ plans avoid the big thrill rides and this is mostly because I intend on doing single rider lines and going solo. For those thrill rides that have no single rider (I'm looking at you, Tower of Terror) I am hoping for Pixie Dust on short wait times.

4:40pm: FastPass+ for Haunted Mansion (window is 4:30pm - 5:30pm)
5:00pm: Peter Pan's Flight (hopefully.. line dependent)
5:40pm: FastPass+ Pirates of the Caribbean (window is 5:40pm - 6:40pm)
6:00pm: Jungle Cruise
6:50pm: ADR Liberty Tree Tavern
7:30pm: Once Upon a Time Castle Projection Show (we are hoping to check in to dinner early and make this, but it's not priority)
8:00pm: it's a small world
8:20pm: Pick up Sorcerer's Cards
8:40pm: Tomorrowland Transit Authority - a relaxing ride
9:00pm: Popcorn pitstop and secure spots for the fireworks!
10:00pm: Wishes!

We usually linger after the fireworks and wander the shops to ensure that the bus crowds aren't too overwhelming. Then we will head back to our hotel after a long and exhausting day for a much needed sleep!

Well hello! News has come today with the arrival of our MAGICBANDS!! The ultimate question was whether they would be original or 2.0.....

Drumroll......

We have 2.0 bands! Hooray! pixiedust:

Now that I am in full planning mode, I am focusing heavily on scraping together some spending money. I do some online tutoring (please let me know if you're an interested teacher and I can refer you!) and I also have part time Disney even though those hours have declined after the holidays. I'm trying to save from both of those and other coupon/survey/rewards site endeavors. I admit, I'm AWFUL at swagbucks, so no luck there. It's a journey!

Joining in. I am not a Disney Cast Member but we are going with a Disney Cast member so I am excited to see your PTR. Congrats on getting your Magic Band and getting the 2.0 version. The last time I went they were just starting to hand out the Magic Bands and my family was not chosen to receive them.:sad: But that is OK because I am really excited to get one for this trip.

I am doing a lot of things to earn some extra money for Disney as well. I talk about a lot of them on my PTR if you want to check them out. I get the most money out of Ibotta and Walmart Savings Catcher phone apps.:coffee:

Can't wait to read more.

Joining in. I am not a Disney Cast Member but we are going with a Disney Cast member so I am excited to see your PTR. Congrats on getting your Magic Band and getting the 2.0 version. The last time I went they were just starting to hand out the Magic Bands and my family was not chosen to receive them.:sad: But that is OK because I am really excited to get one for this trip.

I am doing a lot of things to earn some extra money for Disney as well. I talk about a lot of them on my PTR if you want to check them out. I get the most money out of Ibotta and Walmart Savings Catcher phone apps.:coffee:

Can't wait to read more.

:welcome: I actually just stumbled on your report before you said hello! I had to start looking into the apps you mentioned since I am pretty unfamiliar. I use Checkout 51 right now, but it's a $20 payout and I'm only at $17 thus far. Ibotta I always end up forgetting to look at!

I also try to coupon, so I'll totally mention my deals as I get them!

Oh my goodness! It is the end of term for my students and I have been on a stress and grading binge. I have had time to plan out the remainder of our Disney days (don't worry) and will be posting them shortly!!!

Day Two - EPCOT

I cannot believe we are 7 days away from our trip! :cloud9: I feel so excited, but at the same time I am a little overwhelmed. I think this may be due to the amount of schoolwork (both as a teacher and as a student) that I've been working through. I do not feel like I've been planning for this vacation at all, and it's crunch week. What do we need?! What do I pack!? When do I have the time to clean the house!? :scared:

But I digress...

Monday, January 30th will be our first, full Disney day and it will be spent in Epcot.

9am - park open, ride Test Track
Grab breakfast (my favorite is Sunshine Seasons) before riding on Living with the Land
**True moment here, I've never actually been on this ride. I don't know why... I guess I never made it a priority? Regardless, I figured we should at least give it a try, and we will have time to kill before our first FastPass, so why not?

10:15 - 11:15am - FP+ for Soarin'
I'm a little sad that this is not California anymore (I'll miss the music), but it'll be nice to see a change!
We intend to also head over to Journey with Figment, where I have a friend in the DCP possibly working.

11:25 - 12:25pm - FP+ for Disney Pixar Short Films
I grabbed this fastpass because I was uncertain what to really grab otherwise. I'm not sure what this shoe entails, but we both enjoy Pixar shorts, so maybe it'll be decent? Likely not worth a FP burn, but then again it's EPCOT where we ride little as is.
Around noon is usually our go-to for lunch, but we do try to delay until 1pm to alleviate some of the crowds. We might wander the World Showcase and snack, however DH usually insists on a stop at Yorkshire Fish and Chips.
I always make a point to hit the Disney Visa Character Spot at 1pm as well, but this concludes our Epcot morning/afternoon. A common theme you will see in our details is that DH loves his afternoon naps. I'm not opposed to taking some time back at the hotel because Disney all day can be hard to manage. We usually skip back from 2-5 most days to relax and chill before our evening activities.

EPCOT has some awesome choices for dinner, but the location we pick is always pretty full. We intend on hitting a few more attractions in the afternoon before we have a late dinner (which means a snack or two may occur on our nap/relax time).

5:50 - 6:50pm FP+ for the Seas with Nemo and Friends
This is always immediately followed by a showing of Turtle Talk and looking around the aquariums. DH and I never miss Crush, which may seem odd since we have no little ones. However, it is such Disney magic and always worth a laugh or two! We also want to squeeze in some shopping time and a ride on Spaceship Earth. Another DCP friend of mine works for MouseGears, so we will certainly see if I can't find a time to swing in for a hello.

8:15pm - ADR for Le Cellier Steakhouse
This is like a date night for DH and myself. We never do the fancy attire, however it is simply awesome to be able to enjoy a fantastic meal and really just appreciate being in Disney. We are big meat eaters, but I hope we can arrive early enough to get in and out before Illuminations. I do love that show, but we can always skip over a different night if we miss out.

This is a bit less detailed than my first day, but we are doing a bit less for attractions. EPCOT is still a favorite for me because I love the shops, the food, and ok the alcoholic beverages as well. My goodness I need to figure out how to get everything ready this week!

I just found your report. I am excited that I found it in time to follow you during your final preparation week and then for any updates you add during the trip itself.

Like you, I am a teacher. I teach 8th grade Social Studies. The new semester is just getting started but I am already behind in my grading. It just never seems to end. I am on my lunch break now and dreaming of Disney.

I, too, always have to start my Disney trips with the Magic Kingdom. It has become a tradition for me. Perhaps someday I may change it up for for now I like starting in the MK.

I just found your report. I am excited that I found it in time to follow you during your final preparation week and then for any updates you add during the trip itself.

Like you, I am a teacher. I teach 8th grade Social Studies. The new semester is just getting started but I am already behind in my grading. It just never seems to end. I am on my lunch break now and dreaming of Disney.

I, too, always have to start my Disney trips with the Magic Kingdom. It has become a tradition for me. Perhaps someday I may change it up for for now I like starting in the MK.

:welcome: 8th grade! Middle school always frightens me :rolleyes:
Online allows me to work from home today, which is great because it is snowing! Unfortunately, I do not get to escape the conferences tomorrow night. Those are always the moments when some of the "naughtier" kids come in with their parents and you think... Ohhh... yep, it makes sense now. :rolleyes1
Thanks for jumping on board!

Today has been very productive as I've made a packing list and tied up a few loose ends at work to prepare for leaving. I also secured a person to borrow luggage from since I happened to discover TSA broke mine last trip and I cannot repair the zipper. How rude! I made my packing list and I've started a shopping list. Now it's a waiting game before Saturday when I do everything last minute, as always.

Day Three - Animal Kingdom
Our third day is on Tuesday, January 31st. Animal Kingdom is such a fun park and while some may disagree, I find enjoy it as much as the others. That being said, we will also be spending an evening at Hollywood Studios for the Star Wars firework show. It seems that with Fantasmic and Star Wars, one night was not enough.

8am - wake up call and breakfast at the Mara. We should hop on the bus around 8:40 to hit the 9am opening.

9am - opening and right to Expedition Everest for a solo ride. Maybe two?

9:40am - 10am - FP for Festival of the Lion King
We might run through the Maharajah Jungle trek prior to this simply because I love tigers. The FotLK show is not until 10:15, so we have a little time depending on crowd levels. After this amazing show, we will be doing a little shopping and trail exploring to look at the animals as our next FP isn't until right before lunch.

11am - 12pm - FP for Dinosaur!
I put myself through this jerky ride every year and think I shouldn't... but who can help how fun it is?! I wonder if we will manage to make it out in time again this time through?!?!!? The suspense..
11:30am - Flights of wonder... we might have to hoof it to this one and may or may not catch it.
We will grab lunch after the ride/show and our usual go-to is the Flame Tree BBQ. Although, I did hear they did away with their bbq sauce? That seems counter productive and as heartbreaking as hearing there would not longer be cheese at any quick service location. A heartbreak, for sure.

12:35 - FP for Kilimanjaro Safari
The safari is always my photo spot and I've yet to see much of the lions. Fingers crossed that this is my trip!

We only have a few go-to rides, and sadly then Animal Kingdom is done. It really is a half day park for us if the crowds are polite. I do like to shop here, so we likely will hang out in the park until 2pm before heading back to the resort for our relaxation and dinner reservation.

5:15pm - ADR for Sanaa
I have never tried this restaurant as we usually do Boma when we stay at AKL. However, I felt like being a little adventurous and I hear there's a bread service to die for (I love carbs). We will then bus over to Hollywood Studios for a ride on Star Tours (die hard star wars fans and have a need to do this multiple times) before our nightly fireworks. I hope these live up to the expectation I've set in my mind!

That's all for this day. I have a few more days to lay out before we leave! 4 days!

Oh my goodness it's here! The night before our amazing getaway is finally here! I have to admit, I've been scrambling to clean the house, pack, and get prepped for the morning that I have completely abandoned my scheduling. In fact, I have some fastpasses and some ADRs, but really no set-in-stone plans for our remaining days. I guess we will be winging it!

Day Four - Magic Kingdom Returns
Our day four will be an early rise with a late ADR snagged at 9:45am for Be Our Guest! I've never done breakfast here, so we are super excited for this one. We also managed to grab an ADR in the evening at Planet Hollywood which only recently reopened. This one is for 5pm, so plenty of time to return from Disney Springs to Magic Kingdom for Wishes.
FP+ are primarily in Fantasyland with Little Mermaid, Enchanted Tales with Belle and Peter Pan. We are hoping to catch Festival of Fantasy in the afternoon as well!

Day Five - Hollywood Studios
This park gets sooooo much slack, and it is actually our favorite. We have FP+ for Star Tours, Toy Story Mania, and Indiana Jones. But, we will also be working on seeing Beauty and the Beast and meeting Kylo Ren with a Fantasmic! night to send us off back to home. I love Fantasmic! and it's the cap to a perfect trip. Our only ADR here is a lunch at 50's Prime Time Cafe at 1pm.

Day Six - Homeward Bound
We fly back on Friday at 1:30pm so we have the weekend to recoup at home and relax!

I am very excited and not sure how I will sleep tonight. We need to be up at 5am which is WAY earlier than I would like. But, we are GOING TO DISNEY! I should probably get to bed soon....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter