Disney Dining Deluxe Doesn't Do Us In -- a week in heaven with photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am new to the DIS, but I have become fairly addicted to reading dining reviews. I wanted to let you know that I enjoyed your report more than any other that I have read. We will be staying at AKL next year, and you have convinced me that I simply must eat at Jiko.

Have you all eat at Boma? I have also heard terrific things about it.

I am new to the DIS, but I have become fairly addicted to reading dining reviews. I wanted to let you know that I enjoyed your report more than any other that I have read. We will be staying at AKL next year, and you have convinced me that I simply must eat at Jiko.

Have you all eat at Boma? I have also heard terrific things about it.

:flower3::flower3::flower3:
Well you certainly made my day -- thank you!!! I'm so glad you've enjoyed our reviews.

No, we've never been to Boma, although I too have only heard great things about it. Since you're staying at AKL it seems that you'll have to check it out! Several years ago, my boss (at that time) went with his family and -- believe it or not -- they ate ALL their dinners at Boma! And he raved about it.

Have a magical trip!

Just read this thread. Love your reviews, pictures and style of writing. Also your family seems lovely. I am little jealous however, b/c I am a foodie and absolutely NO ONE in my family is!! :confused3 My opportunity for trying different things is when we go to Disney and even then I have to temper the restaurant choices. My husband does insist we get the dining plan b/c he knows, I, like you, would order least expensive to save money if we were paying OOP and also to give me the opportunity to order something out of the ordinary. However, ADRs for Yak and Yeti, Jikos, Citricos-- I wouldn't even consider it! :sad:

For this year's trip- I am going to push the envelope with Teppan Edo, Tutto Italia (as opposed to Tony's or Mama's) and Captain's Grille. Would love to try Chefs de France, but I think it might be pushing it too much! My kids are little so have to do the standard Chef Mickey and Princess Storybook. Fortunately, Le Cellier is the place we all agree on wholeheartedly!

Thank you again for the great review and pics!

...I am a foodie and absolutely NO ONE in my family is!! :confused3 My opportunity for trying different things is when we go to Disney ...

For this year's trip- I am going to push the envelope with Teppan Edo, Tutto Italia (as opposed to Tony's or Mama's) and Captain's Grille. Would love to try Chefs de France, but I think it might be pushing it too much!

Thank you again for the great review and pics!

First of all, thank you so much for your kind words! It's this kind of feedback that makes doing the reviews worthwhile!

I'm not sure if this will help, but here's my secret:

My husband was NOT an adventurous eater when we met. He was a steak and potatoes guy, some pasta, and take-out Chinese (the basic stuff) kind of eater. I would just always insist (nicely!) that he try a bite of what I was having, and for cooking at home I learned to ask, "have you ever had XX," instead of asking "do you like XX" (b/c he'd automatically just say "no!").

Also remember that no one will starve at any given meal, and that most restaurants (and certainly all the TS places at WDW) will work with you to get something that will work. So a place that has any kind of pasta on the menu will serve a dish of it plain, if they have a chicken or meat dish where the meat is sauced they will serve it plain, and almost every place can make a grilled cheese sandwich.

All by way of saying that on WDW vacations (our early ones) and other times, sometimes I say it's my turn -- we've gone on the rides you wanted to (or whatever) and now we're eating at a place I want to try. I know for myself as a mom, it's too easy to be the one who always gives in to keep everyone else happy!! But it has paid off over the years to push both my husband and son a bit -- and they've been happily changed by the experience.

I'm sure you are going to have a wonderful trip, and I hope you truly enjoy all your meals! My guess is that your family is going to love the places you have chosen and might be willing to take a step further next time around.

Reviewing your review again! Quick question for you. You guys really look very fit, and I am sure that this week was a splurge, meaning, not the amount you normally eat! If it's not too personal, did you workout at WDW??

I've lost 55 pounds since Jan, and I am pretty scared that I'll really blow it on our trip that starts next weekend. I am thinking about running a few mornings, if I can get up and out the door to beat the heat REALLY early. I loved looking at the salads, and all the fish you had, which I think will be the key to not gaining too much. Since I run about 12 miles a week, I am pretty sure that the walking won't increase my HR enough to count as cardio.

Thanks, and I hope you don't mind these questions!

Reviewing your review again! Quick question for you. You guys really look very fit, and I am sure that this week was a splurge, meaning, not the amount you normally eat! If it's not too personal, did you workout at WDW??

I've lost 55 pounds since Jan, and I am pretty scared that I'll really blow it on our trip that starts next weekend. I am thinking about running a few mornings, if I can get up and out the door to beat the heat REALLY early. I loved looking at the salads, and all the fish you had, which I think will be the key to not gaining too much. Since I run about 12 miles a week, I am pretty sure that the walking won't increase my HR enough to count as cardio.

Thanks, and I hope you don't mind these questions!

Hi there!
I don't mind your questions at all!

Yes, our meals at WDW are waaaay more food, and more rich/indulgent food, than we normally eat. But we don't work out per se on the trip -- we've not used the health clubs nor gone out to run. Here's how we manage:

We wear pedometers while we're there, so we know we walk 10+ miles most days (I think our high is about 15 miles, and a low day would be 7 -- but only one day in the week would be a high and a low). We're always really carefully, esp. after dinners, to walk for a while. Also, a lot of those miles are at a pretty brisk pace -- sure, we do stroll at times and the pedometer is counting that slow process of getting through an attraction line, but we also pump up the speed intentionally at times.

Next, we aren't big on the "clean plate club" thing. We think about what parts of the meal we love so much that we REALLY want to finish, and just have some of other parts. So, we do try to finish salads, we sample but don't over-do bread, think about how to manage the main dish plate, and rarely finish a dessert (unless we "saved up" for it during the rest of the meal!).

We end up using snack credits during the trip almost exclusively on water (we do hit the resort shop to bring back snacks to put in DS' lunchbox to use up extra credits).

And that's really it. Hope this helps! Congratulations on your great accomplishment and best to you in staying healthy and fit!

Hi there!
I don't mind your questions at all!

Yes, our meals at WDW are waaaay more food, and more rich/indulgent food, than we normally eat. But we don't work out per se on the trip -- we've not used the health clubs nor gone out to run. Here's how we manage:

We wear pedometers while we're there, so we know we walk 10+ miles most days (I think our high is about 15 miles, and a low day would be 7 -- but only one day in the week would be a high and a low). We're always really carefully, esp. after dinners, to walk for a while. Also, a lot of those miles are at a pretty brisk pace -- sure, we do stroll at times and the pedometer is counting that slow process of getting through an attraction line, but we also pump up the speed intentionally at times.

Next, we aren't big on the "clean plate club" thing. We think about what parts of the meal we love so much that we REALLY want to finish, and just have some of other parts. So, we do try to finish salads, we sample but don't over-do bread, think about how to manage the main dish plate, and rarely finish a dessert (unless we "saved up" for it during the rest of the meal!).

We end up using snack credits during the trip almost exclusively on water (we do hit the resort shop to bring back snacks to put in DS' lunchbox to use up extra credits).

And that's really it. Hope this helps! Congratulations on your great accomplishment and best to you in staying healthy and fit!

Thanks a bunch! I was thinking along thoe lines of trying to make sure I got a salad as an app, although there are a couple of apps I have to try, eating about half of my entree' and then a bite of two of dessert. The desserts aren't my downfall, but apps and breads are.

I wish I could walk faster, but with dd3 in a stroller, that could prove to be dangerous! I am hoping to run a few times, but want a plan if that doesn't work. Some of our meals are a little later than I would like, but we do have planned to hit an EMH park and walk/tour afterwards. We'll have lots of water, for sure, fruit as snacks, and the girls love the frozen lemonade to combat the heat.

Anyway, thanks for your insight! I am actually stressing over this more than any other part of the trip!:rotfl2:

Just found your reviews, sat & read the entire report! Loved it, very nice.

Loved your points of view, much like my own :goodvibes

Thanks a bunch!

Anyway, thanks for your insight! I am actually stressing over this more than any other part of the trip!:rotfl2:

Sounds as though you've got a good strategy in place -- hope you have a wonderful trip, enjoy your meals, and come back ready to plan where you'd like to hit next time!

Really enjoyed your reviews, thanks!
Our first trip to WDW is in October! All our ADRs are booked, (as is our WDW wedding!) and my ds (3 - nearly 4) is very excited about "going on an aeroplane to meet Mickey Mouse!"
Your DS sounds so great about food and just generally like a great kid!
Lx

Just read your review and really enjoyed it:thumbsup2. I can't believe the food your son ate - I would love for my daughter to be like this but me and DH are quite picky ourselves. She will be 2 when we go in October so I may have to try and be adventurous for her sake. I want her to like better foods than I do!

Thanks for taking the time to do your report - it was a really good read and I am sad it's over:sad1:!
Thanks

Thanks for the great reviews. About time to make our ADRs for our Post-Christmas trip and you covered some I was considering. Sounds like I will be bumping Les Chefs de France higher up the list.

Sorry to hear about your DH's final day disaster. Having turned 50 last year I can relate. It reminds me a little of our oldest DS's birthday last July. He wanted to go to our local Ruby Tuesday for dinner, and he was all dressed in his nicest khaki shorts since he was going to meet his GF later on. Of course, who is the one who gets covered in tea when the waitress arrives with our drinks??? We felt so sorry for him since it was too far for him to head back by home before meeting his GF.

It reminds me a little of our oldest DS's birthday last July. He wanted to go to our local Ruby Tuesday for dinner, and he was all dressed in his nicest khaki shorts since he was going to meet his GF later on. Of course, who is the one who gets covered in tea when the waitress arrives with our drinks??? We felt so sorry for him since it was too far for him to head back by home before meeting his GF.

Oh dear! Why does life have to be like that sometimes? I hope he managed to salvage his evening just the same....

Enjoy your trip, and I hope you have as good a time at Chefs de France as we did!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter