DISNEY $50 gift cards

I've done this a couple times to pay off my DVC dues and to pay for other trip expenses, but I think I'm done, having concluded that it's more hassle than it's worth. On our last trip I was trying to use GCs to pay for park tickets and the lady at the front desk kept running them and telling me there was no balance on them. I had saved all the activiation receipts so I knew eventually I could get it all worked out with Target when I got home, but at that moment I wasn't about to miss my vacation. So I was preparing to put the park tickets on my VISA when the lady realized she was running them the wrong way and had to back up and start over. I knew if I'd gotten stuck with the cards I could at least use them to pay off my DVC dues the following year, but for someone else in a different situation you could get stuck with a lot of money tied up in Disney GCs if there is a computer snafu. Plus it took FOREVER for the lady to run them all. My family just wanted to get to the parks, not spend an hour in the lobby trying to get the cards on the room.

We had a similar problem, NFCEagles. We were paying off our RO resort reservation with Disney Rewards cards (we had four because we have four different accounts) and it took an hour! Granted the whole time was not dealing with the cards (they also had our dates wrong and it took them time (or maybe a few tries) to get our park tickets on our KTTW cards as well), but it took a LONG time. We will continue to use the rewards cards, but I'm definitely budgeting in extra time for that now!

Question: how many people do you think are doing this and not immediately paying off the balance of their credit cards? Save 5% to pay 18% interest?

Target has a debit card that is like a standard bank debit card. There's no interest involved.

Question: how many people do you think are doing this and not immediately paying off the balance of their credit cards? Save 5% to pay 18% interest?
Not I. I haven't paid more than $20 interest on any of my credit cards in 30 years (and the $20 was for a mistakenly missed payment!).

Do you get the savings from using your Target CC? I don't use CCs.
The nice thing about the Target CC is that it's not a "points" system. Use the card and they take the 5% off the top of your purchases at the cash register. It doesn't matter how much or how little you spend, and you don't have to keep track of any "rewards."

Mine is a debit card, so cash comes out in 3-4 days. Some people are using credit cards, though, so I don't know. Not many, I hope!!!

I would doubt many. It's a little bit of a pain to do for your whole trip so I think those who do are conscious of the savings and pay it off in full like I do.

Our trip this year is extra costly because we are buying APs and bringing my sister. We are paying for the entire thing with the 50 dollar Target Disney cards. Not wanting to bring 140 cards to Disney I'm buying some things in advance like our APs and my sisters 8 day ticket from the local Disney Store. I also used them to buy presents I will ship down as an In Room Celebration. In total we will save an extra $350 by doing it this way.

Ours is set up as a debit card. We wouldn't do it if it were a credit card. Cash only and it saves us 5%!

Do all or most places in the Disney parks let you charge back to your room? CS, TS, Food Stands, Shops, etc? Thanks!! I don't want to take cash/cc with me if I don't have to.

The only 2 places I can think of that don't take KTTW cards are the coffee kiosks and the funnel cake place right by the American Adventure, unless that has changed since last Nov. :)

My mom and MIL have given me a ton of Disney giftcards over the years and I've never had an issue using them in the parks, that's usually my drink money:)

We use them all the time! At 5% off with the redcard debit/credit, you save a whopping $2.50 per $50 card - it all adds up ;)

The key savings come in December, when for two weekends, Target sells these $50 "Entertainment" Cards for $40, or $38 with a Target card. Getting 24% off Disney is nice.

skullsplitter said:
Do these gift cards also work for paying towards a Disney cruise or for purchases on a Disney ship?

Yes to both questions! Remember to keep your cards in case any amounts are refunded at the end of the cruise!

We use them all the time! At 5% off with the redcard debit/credit, you save a whopping $2.50 per $50 card - it all adds up ;)

We use them for hotel deposits/payments, food and snacks (dole whip!), souvenirs, etc. it's good for just about everything in Disney.

From what I know, the only thing excluded are certain stores; mostly in DD that are not solely owned by Disney.

Have fun!!

We do this too. We don't use the DP, but we do buy GCs (at Target) in the amount that we estimate we will spend on food. We use those to pay for dining...kind of like our own DP.

I bought the gift cards when they were on sale at Target with my 5% pharmacy rewards and then got the 2% Disney Visa rewards by using my Disney Visa. We were even able to use them at the Lego store in DTD.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter