Discounted cash rate vs Renting Points?

buzzrelly

DIS Veteran
Hi all. I am a DVC member, but I am saving points for a 2 bedroom next year. DH and I just decided to go down 11/1-11/6 for the Food & Wine Half Marathon. I called member services and reserved a Poly Studio at a discounted member rate. For the 5 nights, it came to about $2200. I actually thought that was fairly decent until I looked at a cost calculator for renting points at the Poly and the same 5 nights are about $1500. That's a fairly decent chunk of money, but it makes me kind of nervous to rent points. I feel like the cancelation policy through DVC is much more flexible, but is that flexibility worth $700?

What do you all think?

Last edited:
If cancellation is possible, I think renting is risky, you could lose all of that $1500!

I personally would try to use my own points and worry about the next trip later. A bird in the hand and all that!

If cancellation is possible, I think renting is risky, you could lose all of that $1500!

I personally would try to use my own points and worry about the next trip later. A bird in the hand and all that!

I really can't mess with my points. I'll need to make the reservation in May.

I really can't mess with my points. I'll need to make the reservation in May.

So many people take the risk and rent points strictly for the saving and take the chance and are very happy. I think if you worry about cancellation and losing it all, then paying more is worth it. That is unless you can find a renter with a more generous cancellation policy.

Best wishes, it's a difficult decision.

I'm not a big, risk-taking kind of girl. Now I'm actually considering just adding onto my own points. Thanks!

Last edited:
So many people take the risk and rent points strictly for the saving and take the chance and are very happy. I think if you worry about cancellation and losing it all, then paying more is worth it. That is unless you can find a renter with a more generous cancellation policy.

Best wishes, it's a difficult decision.

That's a slippery slope! :) I smile, because we have 20 add-ons to our initial BWV contract.

LOL!

And the was supposed to say "Big!" :oops:

When we want to add extra days and no points are available for use, we often stay at cash resorts using the discounts when available. It makes me appreciate my DVC even more since staying at cash deluxe resorts are not really in our travel budget even with 30% discounts and we are usually at the value resorts or moderates.

To the OP, you could have checked to see if Disney had any of the DVC rooms available for cash reservations with a higher discount of 30%, or even in a regular cash room at a deluxe resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter