Disboutiquers Part 23 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe that we are at 250 again! I will watch for the move while I wait for Grey's Anatomy to start. Of course , there is always the chance that we won't move till morning....

This is not Disney related, or even sewing related...but it is family related, and we ARE trying to move the thread along...right?

Next year my DD10 will start Middle School. This is always a trying time in a young girl's life, even if there was no drama with the school.

The school she will have to go to is the absolute worst school in the county! The police have a regular presence there, because of the rapes, drugs, and gang activity. And yes, this is the middle school.

We had hoped to be moved before we had to deal with this issue, but it is just not in the cards (or finances for that matter) right now. We tried for a shot at a scholarship for a private school, but that fell through.

So, it looks like we will be homeschooling again next year. Of course, this time, hubby is not yet behind us on this idea. DD has looked at the different item available and has chosen her curriculum. I am all set to order it next month...

I guess I am asking for some Pixie dust....hopefully we can get Dad on our side before I order. Dad is still holding out for the private school. While I do believe education is a good investment, I just don't think we can afford the private school this year....

Nini

Hi,
I have been lurking here for a while. I saw your post and I wanted to respond. Where we live it is the law that you can apply for a transfer out of a low performing school and they send your child to a high performing school. I believe that this is part of the No Child Left Behind laws which are national. Most school systems keep this part of the law very quiet because they don't want to deal with the transfers. Of course, you would have to provide the transportation to the new school but you'd have to drive her to private school too, right? There is usually a deadline to apply for these transfers to you might need to hop in the idea right away if you are interested in it. Just an idea for you :)

jeniamt, I know how you feel. My cat Licorice went out one night and never returned. She never went far and always meowed a lot, she was always talking to me. I'm positive an animal got her.

Pippi has helped me through but is just the opposite of Licorice. She rarely meows and when she does barely any sound comes out. She is so determined to get outside, but I just can't let her out after what happened to Licorice.

Waffles, Did someone want some?

Too bad you don't live closer, I made a double batch of them on Sunday. I still have 4 left in the fridge. The daycare children didn't like my Mickey waffles :confused3 They must be use to those dry frozen things they sell at the store.

Hi,
I have been lurking here for a while. I saw your post and I wanted to respond. Where we live it is the law that you can apply for a transfer out of a low performing school and they send your child to a high performing school. I believe that this is part of the No Child Left Behind laws which are national. Most school systems keep this part of the law very quiet because they don't want to deal with the transfers. Of course, you would have to provide the transportation to the new school but you'd have to drive her to private school too, right? There is usually a deadline to apply for these transfers to you might need to hop in the idea right away if you are interested in it. Just an idea for you :)

Unfortunately, the school in question has passed their AYPs two years in a row (which is a miracle in itself!) so they have been removed from the 'needs improvement' list, and we are no longer eligible to transfer from that school on that part of the law. Of course, there is a lot of speculation that they just transferred some students out of the school to a neighboring school for the testing period. Unfortunately, we can't prove it and it is all just rumors.

However, only one biracial child made 'exceeds standards' on the last round of testing...which my daughter always makes across the board. So there is a chance of squeaking her in on that part of the law, but it is a long shot. I've called and left a message for our attorney to look into this, but he is in Vegas for the weekend!

Thanks,

Hi,

we have the same sort of thing here, unfortunately you have to reapply every year and there is no guarantee you will get it year to year, so your kid could be sent back to the school in your neighborhood! the HS my DD is supposed to go to is one of those "dicey" ones, so I am saving up for private HS...her education was the one thing my DH was adament about her getting the best, so I have to honor his wishes and make it happen any way I can!!!

good luck on making this decision, education for our kiddos is such a hot topic with all the budget cuts,etc.

By the way, for those who were so kind about my sweet old kitty Lewis. He took a major turn for the worse last night and we made the decision to have him euthanized this morning. I am so sad and miss him terribly. Even with the 4 kids, 2 other cats and dog, it seems so quiet around here tonight. I am usually such an upbeat happy person, this sadness is such an odd emotion for me. I really haven't experienced a lot of loss in my life so this feels a little overwhelming. I realized he had been with me for half my life. :sad1:

Think I need to go over to the Big Give board and see what I can do. I know that will lift me up! Thanks for being such a great support!!

I'm so sorry for your loss. Our furbabies are part of the family.

Unfortunately, the school in question has passed their AYPs two years in a row (which is a miracle in itself!) so they have been removed from the 'needs improvement' list, and we are no longer eligible to transfer from that school on that part of the law. Of course, there is a lot of speculation that they just transferred some students out of the school to a neighboring school for the testing period. Unfortunately, we can't prove it and it is all just rumors.

However, only one biracial child made 'exceeds standards' on the last round of testing...which my daughter always makes across the board. So there is a chance of squeaking her in on that part of the law, but it is a long shot. I've called and left a message for our attorney to look into this, but he is in Vegas for the weekend!

Thanks,

Good luck! I hope you can get it to work out. It sounds like your middle school is sorely lacking but that home schooling strains your relationship. My older daughter started middle school this year and she absolutely loves it. It is a good thing because if I had to home school her, we'd both be unhappy.

Well I'm going to give up being on the first page and settle for possibly the last page :rotfl: I don't know where that Teresa Joy is but she is a night owl.

Thanks to everyone on the comments on the fleece blanket my DGD made and the outdoor pictures. Mia (the one that made the blanket) is 6 and she made the swim team today! She is so excited. They had first told her mom and dad that she couldn't try out until she was 7 but after watching her, they decided to let her try out and SHE MADE IT! We are so proud of her.

Good job Mia!

Here she is! I still haven't decided on the spelling of her name. When I went to the vet's to have her checked, I had the receptionist spell it Pippi but when the vet came in he wrote Pipi. I'd rather it be the way most would spell it when they hear the name.

th_IMG_2994.jpg
th_IMG_2992.jpg

Thanks for sharing pictures of Pippi. She is beautiful.

Different Fabricland stores must order different fabric, I know they never had it at my store. I picked up a bunch of Disney fabrics on my way home from my last trip at a Walmart in the USA. Even now that Fabricland sells Disney print fabric even at 50% off it's more than Walmart in the USA.

I know. For a while the store nearest to me had them at $6/metre. Good thing I stocked up then.

I know it's not sewing...but I'm so proud of my DD14...I just wanted to share what she's done so far

182473_10150103323141950_796601949_6219253_8308597_n.jpg

Please tell your DD is doing a good job for a good cause!

Thanks for letting me know. I had some great blue background fabric and was going to applique a dolphin on it to coordinate with the Seaworld outfits and then remembered you already did a pillow cover with fish (which should look nice with the trim fabric on those cute Seaworld outfits) so I held off before hearing from you. I really feel like I should make one more pillow cover though. Will have to look back through the outfits Khelsey is getting and see if I can come up with something. Otherwise I just have to gift bag all the presents and decorate the bags and I am done! I did a lot since I'm able to deliver in person instead of mailing -- saves a bundle! I don't know how you manage from Canada all the time.

I saw that on the Big Give and it's great. I meant to ask you to measure it so I could see if the bodice I made is a similar size. I had to upsize the pattern and I'm so worried it might gap under the arms. I think your fabric choices were awesome!

Thanks. I tend to ship them very early so I can take advantage of the lowest postal rate possible.

I participated in a Valentine's swap on another board I belong to - and this is the outfit I made and sent to my swap partner... FYI - my dd made the headband. :thumbsup2

Front:
th_CIMG8359a.jpg

Back:
th_CIMG8364a.jpg

Close-up of the headband and bodice:
th_CIMG8361a.jpg

Close-up of the hand embroidery (which I am not very good at, but it was fun to learn) :
th_CIMG8363a.jpg

Everything that has been posted lately is fabulous! I am hoping that in the next few days, the other parts of my life will slow down a bit and I can spend a bit more time with you all. :lovestruc

D~

Very nice. You DD did a good job on the headband.

Sooo many great things lately....I have been so busy! DH had surgery last week and then lots of pre-teen drama to deal with and PTA stuff....I will glad when spring gets here!

I love the beads! That is so great that she is raising her own money for the walk! Proud of both of you! I am sending you a PM.

I need to ask for prayers. My great-Aunt who has been cancer free for almost 20 years, just found out this week she has cancer again, in her lungs and stomach. They also found an Aneurysm just above her heart. So she is having a hard time and you guys are always great with prayers! I am going home to visit with her this weekend.

Keep up the good work guys and I will be checking in again soon!

Saying prayers for your great aunt and your family.

i wasn't going to post these pics, but since you need help getting to p 249:rolleyes1
i mentioned earlier about my cousins kid (now 4) who had Rhabdomyosarcoma cancer, spent a year and 44 chemo treatments in st judes and is now determined to be cured, and how to give them some happiness we are sending them to disney. they arrive on feb 27. here is a pic of a bag i made them and 2 t shirts i made for Ian.
mom reported back she loves the bag and Ian wants to wear his shirts every day.
another disclosure statement: I've only had a pe770 since dec 25, 2010, so i do not know all the tricks yet. i am still learning how to properly back fabric and hoop it.( so it wont pucker) and thanks to minnie van mom ( i think) i now know how to float a tshirt and that was after I made these and saw what you guys refer to as hoop burn.
did i type enough to move this along?:rotfl2:
th_DSC01515.jpg
th_DSC01514.jpg
th_DSC01513.jpg

Good job. It is so nice of you to do something so special for your cousin's family.

This is not Disney related, or even sewing related...but it is family related, and we ARE trying to move the thread along...right?

Next year my DD10 will start Middle School. This is always a trying time in a young girl's life, even if there was no drama with the school.

The school she will have to go to is the absolute worst school in the county! The police have a regular presence there, because of the rapes, drugs, and gang activity. And yes, this is the middle school.

We had hoped to be moved before we had to deal with this issue, but it is just not in the cards (or finances for that matter) right now. We tried for a shot at a scholarship for a private school, but that fell through.

So, it looks like we will be homeschooling again next year. Of course, this time, hubby is not yet behind us on this idea. DD has looked at the different item available and has chosen her curriculum. I am all set to order it next month...

I guess I am asking for some Pixie dust....hopefully we can get Dad on our side before I order. Dad is still holding out for the private school. While I do believe education is a good investment, I just don't think we can afford the private school this year....

Nini

Sorry to hear about your problems. Sending hugs. :hug:

I'll do my part to help move the thread along.:lmao:

I posted this on FB but not every one is on there. I went Tues. for my regular, 6 month, check up with the oncologist. As of Tues. I am no longer on medication, tamoxifen (5 years), and I have been officially released!:banana::banana::banana:

This is AMAZING!! Congrats!!:cool1:

Would you guys mind telling me what kind of sewing machines you have?

I have lurked on here before and I am so impressed with all your creations and I am looking to get a new sewing machine so I can make stuff like this (I have an old simple machine that can't do much).

Hopefully if I get one for my birthday I can join in the fun here! Thanks!

Welcome. I have use a Brother sewing machine (CS-8060). I also have a Brother 270D embroidery machine and a Singer serger.

thanks all for the nice comments. Going to attempt shorts next fot my little boy. I'm not really sue what to make for my little boy he will be 20 months when we go to disney. I know he's not bothered but feel a bit mean not doing anything for him when my daughter has lots of outfits. any ideas appreciated. he won't wear anything too fancy as he hates me putting anything on him including his coat and shoes :rolleyes1

Bowling shirts and easy fits may be the right thing for a little boy.

The pirate fabric came in and of course it is not what I wanted but I have no choice but to use it.

I am also taking pictures so I can post a photo tutorial of how I make a bowling shirt from a commercial pattern.

Oh please let us know when you have the tutorial done. I really want to see this!

My DVC will be listed on the The Timeshare store mailing tomorrow. Wish me luck on a quick sale.

Good luck with the sale!

I'm trying to catch up, you guys have been busy. I've haven't been lurking for a couple of weeks (gall bladder surg. UGHHHHH!) But everything looks amazing and I am so ready to get back to my machine.

Sorry to hear about your surgery, but it sounds like you are on the mend.

By the way, for those who were so kind about my sweet old kitty Lewis. He took a major turn for the worse last night and we made the decision to have him euthanized this morning. I am so sad and miss him terribly. Even with the 4 kids, 2 other cats and dog, it seems so quiet around here tonight. I am usually such an upbeat happy person, this sadness is such an odd emotion for me. I really haven't experienced a lot of loss in my life so this feels a little overwhelming. I realized he had been with me for half my life. :sad1:

Think I need to go over to the Big Give board and see what I can do. I know that will lift me up! Thanks for being such a great support!!

I am sorry to hear about Lewis' departure. :hug:

Wow! I was sure I'd miss the move when I went to the gym, but I've been and gone and even showered, and we're still hanging on! Teresa gave someone a tardy slip once when they were late for the move...what's her punishment for letting us get past page 250? :lmao:

I've been waiting around for the move since around noon today....it is now bedtime, so I guess you will move without me. I'm all packed, so the move will be easy in the morning...see you then!

Nini

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter