Disaster on the Wonder - my report

rosemary123

Mouseketeer
My father is much improved now and so the panic is over as far as his heath is concerned and I can now tell you about our time on the Wonder. Thanks for your patience everyone

My husband and I booked the Vow Renewal for our 30th Wedding Anniversary, and there was a total of 11 family members traveling from the UK. I will try to stick to the main concerns about the holiday to keep this as short as I can.

Firstly, I found the planning stage with Disney Fairy Tale Weddings less than satisfactory, i.e. never receiving full information from my co-ordinator and othr problems in that area but things got worse when on board.

We met up with Brent, the on board co-ordinator and went through the ceremony and out plans etc. which were, our processional song for me was Evergreen by Barbara Striesand, this was our personal vows to each other as the words are so beautiful. The optional reading in the Ceremony, as offered by Disney, was to be read by our niece, this had been agreed with the co-ordinator on land. I had made place cards for the table at Palo following the ceremony and also a table plan, we had also requested that the disposable cameras were on the table so people could take informal photo's during the meal. Brent was fully aware of our plans, that I had spent months planning

First, we were told that the Captain would be 'too busy' and has to dash off straight after the ceremony and he would be 'too busy'
for us to have our song played all the way through, so that had to be cut short as soon as I reached my place with my husband in front of the Captain.

His word for word ceremony was rushed, not adding anything personal in any way whatsoever, said his bit as quickly as he could and immediately said to me, I am 'too busy' to stay, I can only have a couple of photo's then I must go. Which he did.

Also, he was 'too busy' to allow the time for my niece to read the optional reading (which took about 90 seconds - literally) and she had to read this after the ceremony.

It was tho he was doing us a favour by being there. Disney offer the package, which includes the Captain performing the ceremony, if he hasn't got the time, they should get someone else to do it.

We then had the cake and champagne and a few dances. The photographer then whisked us around the ship for the photo's.

We went to Palo's later to find the table plan had not been adhered to and the place cards were anywhere, totally mixed up and then to top it all, the disposable cameras were not on the table. Our son tried to contact Brent, but he was unsuccessful, so we missed the photo's at the table - this is a one off occasion and these things, for which we had paid for should have been taken care of.

Brent said our wedding cake would be at the table at Palo's - wrong - I never saw my wedding cake, ever again!!!! Perhaps the Captain took it to share with his crew because they were too 'busy' to eat anything else.

Things got worse: The next day, after a day of over indulgence in food, the food at Palo was excellent by the way, I woke with a slight tummy upset - nothing much - a few episodes of diarrhoea and a little nausea. Notification in the cabin said if you are ill ring the medical centre for a 'free assessment' - so I did - what a big mistake that was. They said I had to go and see the doc. By the time I got there I was greatly improved - the whole episode of my illness lasted about 3 hours, - the doc asked me a few questions pressed my tummy and told me I had the Norwalk and would be confined to my cabin for 48 hours!!!! What!!!! We had just docked at Castaway Cay on a four day cruise, last year I miised Castaway because it couldn't dock!! Sorry he said, you have to stay in your cabin for 48 hours - which would be 9 am on disembarkation day!!!! He said I couldn't 'mingle' on board. I was feeling 90% better and improving all the time and was sure it was only because I had over indulged the day before!!

So there I was, confined. Guest services did do their best to make me as comfortable as possible.

I missed Castaway Cay, Golden Mickeys and other things too. At least we had a verandah and I could see Castaway!!!

During that day, I was fine, felt great actually, no vomiting or any other symptoms, feeling upset that I had missed it all, this being a special cruise etc.

The next day, I called Brent and asked what the chances were of my being let out as I was well. He said it was up to the discretion of the medical centre. 'Oh no Madam - you must stay in your cabin for 48 hours', came the reply. I said I would wear gloves, mask, or anything else, keep out of everyone's way, only use the toilet in our cabin, and not eat or drink except in our cabin. 'No madam, it is law you have to stay in your cabin for 48 Hours' (as mentioned earlier this would take me to 9 am on disembarkation day). They were not prepared to examine me again, or come to any contingency at all, they would just not bend the rules at all. I can quite understand that they did not want me infecting their ship and also the other guests, and If I had been vomiting and diarrahoea all day and really ill I could have understood it, but what I had was so, so mild, and I did not believe I had the Norwalk - anyway, how many other people were walking around the ship with an 'over indulgent' tummy and not even told them!!! I couldn't undrstand, how my family were allowed into my 'infectious environment' and then allowed to go around the ship - same goes for the staff that came into my room!!

So Disney, would not agree to any contingency plan they would not bend the rules at all - ah but - they then decided they would bend the rules to suit them - immigration was at 6 am on disembarkatin day - but I was confined, by law, for 48 hours, which would take me to 9 am. 'Oh, it is OK for you to come out for immigration' they said - but I replied - I will be mingling with other guests and it is against the law - 'but madam, you will be getting off the ship then' - in other words - they didn't mind me mingling with others when getting off the ship just so long as I didn't leave my bugs with them, they didn't care who I passed it on to!!

The said I was to go to immigration, then go back to my cabin and have my breakfast in my room and then a different nurse said I could go to breakfast in the dining room - 'But I will be breaking the law' - they didn't care they just wanted me off their ship.

I was so, so upset, that they expected me to stick to the law until it suited them! I became very angry and told them if they insisted I stay in my cabin for 48 hours and that was what I was going to do, and if they wanted me off the ship before 9 am they would have to carry me off and I was not going to immigration at 6 am, they would have to stick to their laws, and come to me! I was so adamant.

I again asked if I could come out of my cabin under certain conditions 'No' came the reply!!!

I never heard from Guest Services for the rest of the day!

The next day, I did go to immigration, and was angry, so I made a point of telling them at immigration and ohers that 'Disney had let me out to infect everyone with the Norwalk'.

I then went to collect the photographs from shutters - we had upgraded our photo package to $499 which included 54 photographs. My daughter and I spent over an hour writing all the numbers down, Shutters were delighted that we had written the numbers down as it saved them lot of work.

When they gave me the photo's - I couldn't believe it - every one was WRONG!!!! They had printed 54 incorrect photographs - this was just too much - I checked that we had put the right numbers on, and we had - the man wanted me to stay and go through it all again - I was just so angry and upset, I became very irate - I shouted I wasn't going to stay, he can sort it out, anway I didn't want to infect him with Norwalk, even tho Disney had said Iwas allowed out before my 48 hours quarantine was up!!!!

I went straight to Guest Services and demanded to see Brent - who of course wasn't there - this only added to my frustration - and I started shouting - the poor young lady behind the desk was almost in tears - I know it wasn't her fault directly. I went to get some coffee telling everyone on the way that I was infecting the ship (Please folks, if I thought I was in any way infectious, I do have a heart, and would not have put anyone, particularly the children at risk and would have stayed in my cabin).

I got back to my cabin to find Brent with my husband and then I had another attack of 'verbal diarrohea' and Brent got the lot!!!

The package that Disney sold included the following, which by the way, we never received!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:

Champagne and Strawberries in our room - never got them
Basket full of goodies - never got them
Complimentary photo - never got one
Day in Rainforest Spa - Brent never knew about this and had to check with the office - we did receive the day, but of course couldn't use it!!!

What with the frustrating planning stage, all the errors on the ship and then, me being confined to the cabin - sadly, in our experience, we were let down terribly. Brent was surprised that I was not provided with a list of what was included - I told him I had to rely on the internet as it was virtually impossible to get any information from any where else, and it was so difficult to get a reponse from Cathy Ingles. And then Cathy told Brent I was looking at an 'old' internet package (it was o their main site!!) and some things were not included, but I have sent them a copy of where I got my information with was applicable for all renewals until 12/30/03!!!!!!!!

I will be writing to Disney to complain. I know it was not their fault I was ill, but they could not even get their part right.

And then on the return journey, I was suffering a very painful water infection and then my father took ill - had to have oxygen and then he was taken in hospital on our return. He is much better now.

Sorry this report is so long.

Rosemary

rosemary123- I am so sorry all of things turned out aweful for you. If I were you I would most definately contact Disney and complain and tell them the whole story as you wrote it here. I can not believe it. How aweful for them to confine you to your room on your vow renewal trip. And for the Captain to rush off like that and to have all you planned just not even acknowledged. UUUGGHHH!! That gets me soooo upset. Please let us know if you get any results after letting disney know.

rosemary123- I am so sorry all of things turned out aweful for you. If I were you I would most definately contact Disney and complain and tell them the whole story as you wrote it here. I can not believe it. How aweful for them to confine you to your room on your vow renewal trip. And for the Captain to rush off like that and to have all you planned just not even acknowledged. UUUGGHHH!! That gets me soooo upset. Please let us know if you get any results after letting disney know.
Glad to hear everyone is feeling better.

File a lawsuit! That is horrible-- all of it. Brent should be fired.

WHOA!!! For the money you probably paid for this, you must have been irate!!!! I am soooooooooo sorry for you. :( You need to complain to someone and FTW seems to be the first place to go. Do you think any type of refund will be available, a discount on some type of cruise, complimentary tickets.....something??!!

Bless your heart and best to you,

Denise

PS
Glad your father is doing better. :D

Hi guys,

Thank you for your replies.

Just to let you know I have written to Disney and am awaiting their response. I will let you know as soon as I hear from them.

Yes it did costs lots of money, and that is what makes it worse, apart from the months of planning. The vow renewal was $1000, dresses and suits $1000 plus, the photographs were $499 then extras for flowers etc. These prices did not include the cruise that was on top!

Rosemary

Just to let you know that I have had a reply from disney to tell me that I will have to wait 2 - 3 weeks for their response!

Rosemary

I truly cant wait to hear what they say to you. I do hope they compensate you in some way because it was just wrong as to the way they went about things. Especially during a very special time in your life, your vow renewal with friends and family there and to do all the planning to no avail??? That is just completely wrong!!!!

You really should call FTW directly and talk to the person in charge (I forgot his name, but he is really helpful). One of the girls on another wedding website had a big blunder at her wedding. She contacted FTW directly and they came to an agreement as to a refund for services not rendered. You may be able to resolve things in one phone call -- just keep in mind that it is the holidays, so many people may be taking time off. I wouldn't worry it will all work out. I'd also think about exactly what you will say when you call -- If you just call and start yelling at people you may not get the response you want. I realize that things didn't go the way you wanted, and you should be reimbursed for the parts of the package that you did not recieve -- however, I think they had every right to confine you to your cabin if they suspected that you had a contagious illness, in the future travel insurance may be a good bet. Disney, like other ships has had a run lately with highly contagious illnesses on their cruise ships although vomiting and diarrhea are not usually more than an inconvenience for adults, they can be deadly very quickly due to dehydration for children - and you were on a family cruise. If it were the other way around you would not want someone who could possibly infect YOU with an illness sitting at your dinner table on your honeymoon or infecting your small child while you are miles from a hospital in the middle of the ocean. Hope thing work out and try to keep smiling.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter