Dinner Recommendation in MK, Grand Floridian or on monorail?

NolanMKT

Earning My Ears
Long story short—we are doing a Disney VIP guide-day and had planned on doing MK and ending in Epoct with ADR at the Biergarten.

Thanks to help on this forum, we decided that MK and Epcot was too much to do on the VIP day. So, now we need a different ADR for dinner that night. We're staying at the Grand Floridian, and already have ADRs for 1990 Park Fair, CRT, BOG, Chef Mickeys, and Hollywood and Vine for later in the week.

We have 3 kids under 4, so we'd like a character dining or some type of special dining experience (even something little like firework viewing, cool decor/theme, singing/dancing, etc…). Also, we'd like to keep it to restaurants either in the MK, in the Grand Floridian, or on the monorail?

Thank you for any ideas!

If you want character dining at Magic Kingdom that is not CRT, Crystal Palace (Pooh pals) is the only option.

Other options:
  • Whispering Canyon (at Wilderness Lodge -- this is a boat from MK, not monorail). Excellent theming and shenanigans.
  • 'Ohana dinner at the Polynesian resort (dancing, coconut races)
  • Skipper Canteen (unique theming, but many get twitchy about the kids' menu, so there's that)
  • California Grill for fireworks viewing if the kids stay up that late?
  • Grab some Quick Service, then book the Pirates & Pals Fireworks Cruise, which is a dessert party and M&G, followed by a cruise, followed by a M&G; it leaves from the Contemporary.
It really depends on the sort of thing you like.

The Luau at the Poly might be fun for the kids and the unlimited drinks might be fun for the adults;)

The only reason I would not recommend the Luau is because I have experienced it several times with young children and after a day of activities, they faceplant on the table before the food comes! Cant tell you how may times I have carried my sleeping children from Luau Cove out to the parking lot (or back to the room when we stayed at the Poly).

I would keep it low key and possibly have a dinner at Grand Floridian Cafe. Ive never been for dinner, but lunch is wonderful there. If they are still awake, you can go out to the beach area and watch the fireworks.

Mickeys Backyard BBQ is a blast for young children. If you can, try to squeeze it into your trip! They will love it. I do suggest a little nap during the day so they can stay awake for the cowboy/rope tricks/dancing with characters etc...

I would consider O'hana, California Grill or Crystal Palace.

At O'hana they have live Polynesian music (one musician) and they also do the limbo and coconut races, which are really fun. It's a lovely, relaxed atmopshere and a very unique dining experience in WDW. It's also on the monorail and, when you are done, you are only one stop away from your resort.

California Grill is a signature restaurant, so a little more upscale atmosphere. They have amazing views of the MK fireworks from the observation deck and you can see the EP and DHS fireworks as well. Even if you go earlier and the kids can't stay up late for the fireworks, the view of MK is spectacular. And, again, it's on the monorail, so very convenient to your resort.

Crystal Palace in MK is a character meal with Winnie the Pooh and friends, so could fit the bill as well!

Thank you so much everyone—this is exactly the help I needed! I am going to check for availability now!

@_auroraborealis_ I forgot, we are doing crystal palace one lunch day too! But Doesn't CRT have the princesses too? We have a breakfast there and I thought the girls would get to meet Cinderella! If it's not there, where is the princess dining experience?

@amberpi The luau looks awesome (especially unlimited drinks:) but we won't make the 5:15 dinner and 8:30 will be too late. Such a shame b/c we would have loved that!

@DISNEY1975 Thanks for the info—yes, I think the luau will be too much for us that day! I will check out the Grand Floridian Cafe, good to know we can see the fireworks from right outside. I will definitely look at the BBQ for another night!

@DisneyWishes14 I forgot that we are doing the Crystal Palace for lunch on another day! Both California Grill and O'hana sound perfect, I'll check out which place can get an ADR at!

Thanks again!

Which meal are you doing at 1900 Park Fare, because it is completely different characters for breakfast (Mary Poppins, Tigger, Pooh, Mad Hatter) versus dinner (Cinderella, Prince Charming, Lady Tremaine and daughters). We did both on our last trip last May and they were both my favorite character interactions that we have ever done.

Otherwise, would definitely recommend Ohana or Crystal Palace for characters. Whispering Canyon is fun for shenanigans and atmosphere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!