• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dining Reviews for 3/20-3/25

jellydisney

DIS Veteran
Just got back late last night, and I'm attempting to do a review of all the restaurants we visited. This may get long, so bear with me! And check out my margarita reviews if you're interested in what I drank :teeth:

Average bill was $60-70 for 2 people.

Sunday:
Beaches and Cream at BC for lunch: BF and I got burgers and fries and coffee milkshakes. Delicious. We waited about 20 minutes for a table though. This is a popular place and you can't make PS.

Big River Grill at the Boardwalk for dinner: We were still full from B&C, so we only got the Beer Cheese soup and shared a quesadilla. The beer cheese soup was an experiment for us, because we'd never had it before. Can't say that we liked it; it was very very strong. It tasted like somebody spilled beer in my soup. Not to say that it was bad... it might be very good for Beer Cheese soup. I guess this is just not the dish for me. The quesadilla was very standard, like one you'd get at Chili's or TGIF.

Monday:
Sci-Fi Dine-In at MGM for lunch. We stuck to the 'burgers and fries and shakes' rule that you often hear about this restaurant, and those were very good. We also got the spinach cheese dip as an appetizer, which was so-so. Not a lot of spinach in it, and the cheese was kind of like Kraft cheese.

San Angel Inn at Mexico World Showcase for dinner. For appetizers, I got a house salad which was excellent, although it had large chunks of raw avocado in it which I picked around. BF got Tortilla soup, nothing special. For entrees I got Duck in a Sweet and Sour sauce and it came with steamed veggies. It was listed in the "Chef's Selections" area of the menu, so I don't think they offer this all the time. It was absolutely fantastic. Mmm wish I had some right now! BF got the Plato Mexicano (Beef Tenderloin Tampiquena, chicken enchilada, and ground beef burrito, served with refried beans and rice). He said it was very good, but the Beef Tenderloin was kind of out of place with the rest of the meal.

Tuesday:
L'Originale Alfredo's di Roma at Italy World Showcase for lunch. Very expensive, which is why we did lunch instead of dinner. Our PS was for noon, right when they opened, and the place was a complete madhouse. We couldn't even get in the door to check in. When they opened, they started seating people quickly though. We probably waited about 15 min after our PS time. We were not impressed with the bread. It was very hard and was not served with oil or butter. BF got the signature dish, Fettuccine Alfredo and asked for chicken breast on the side, which was excellent. I ordered fettuccine with a vodka cream sauce and bell peppers. It was good, although it would have been better if it had a little spice. For dessert, I ordered chocolate mousse and ate the ENTIRE thing. It was amazing. They are so evil here, they bring a loaded dessert tray to your table and it's impossible to say no! Verdict: Decent meal, but definitely overpriced. Can get much better Italian outside of Disney.

Coronado Springs Pepper Market for dinner. This was okay, a step up from a food court. For you Boston people, it's very similar to Marche at the Prudential. I got a pizza, which was alright. BF got quesadilla and steak fries, and he liked them a lot. The service was great. The waiters and chefs were very friendly.

Wednesday:
Coral Reef at the Living Seas in Epcot for lunch. What a great atmosphere! I wish we could have been seated closer to the aquarium though. There are only 4 tables that are seated right next to the glass, and I'm not sure if you have to specifically ask for them or maybe check in really early to get them. I got the "Diver's Special" for lunch, which is $18.95 for 3 courses. I chose a salad with blue cheese dressing, the chicken salad on homemade bread, and mango cheesecake. It was so-so. The chicken salad sandwich was very large, but it didn't come with tomato or lettuce and the bread was a little greasy. The cheesecake was like no cheesecake I'd ever seen before. It came in this little ball and had a vanilla cake crust rather than graham cracker. My bf loved it, I thought it was ok. BF got the mahi-mahi, which although small, was delicious. Wish I had gotten that!

Cape May Buffet at Beach Club for dinner. At $25 per person, and all you can eat, this place was a deal (especially for my bottomless pit BF). All you can eat shrimp, mussels, and clams which were excellent. You can order King Crab legs if you want them, for an additional price. The BBQ ribs were amazing, there was so much meat on them. The kid's buffet is very cute too, it's a little counter that has mac and cheese, corn dogs, and pizza. I actually raided the kids buffet a few times because they looked so good! :rotfl:

Thursday:
Rainforest Cafe at Downtown Disney for lunch. Worth noting, if you go to DTD for lunch, none of the sit downs open until 11:30. We waited in line for RFC for about a half hour but we got seated right away because we decided to eat in the bar. I got a house salad with a very interesting dark french dressing that was good, and a dish called Pastalaya which had fettuccine with shrimp, pork, and bell peppers tossed in a specialty marinara sauce. Delicious and very spicy! BF got the Monsoon Grill, which had crab cake, coconut shrimp, and fish. It was really good (I know because I kept stealing some!). Was very pleasantly surprised by the Rainforest Cafe. Our bartender was very friendly and the service was lightning speed.

Hoop Dee Do dinner show at Fort Wilderness for dinner. This show is corny and hilarious. We had an AMAZING table. We were dead center right up against the stage. Get your tickets early, because the earlier you get them the better of a table you'll get. The food is decent. Right when you sit down, there is bread and salad. I loved the bread and butter. All you can drink (including Bud Light and Sangria) and eat (Ribs, fried chicken, beans, and corn). Dessert is Strawberry Shortcake. The worst part about this dinner show is getting to Fort Wilderness. We didn't have a rental car, so it took us 90 minutes to get there because we had to transfer at a theme park and there was a lot of traffic. However, after the show is over, they have busses waiting for every resort. The driver will ask you where you're staying and he'll stop there. So don't get on the boat after this show if you're trying to get back to your room! Go to the busses! Much faster. ALSO: if you have to go to the bathroom (especially for the ladies), don't wait til the end of the show! I waited a very very long 20 minutes :blush:

Friday:
Le Cellier at Canada World Showcase for lunch. Our last meal of the trip :sad: This had a neat atmosphere, it really looks like a cellar. They give you some interesting breadsticks before your meal, each one represents different regions of Canada. The breads included a pretzel-type bread, a multi-grain bread, and sourdough. For an appetizer I ordered shrimp cocktail, which was excellent and had a very interesting presentation. It was on a long plate and the shrimp was "spilled" out of a chinese food carton. BF got Filet Mignon, which was served in small portions but according to him was very tender. I got a steak burger and fries (haha, I'm so adventurous) which was pretty standard. For dessert, he got cheesecake (see above description of Coral Reef cheesecake, it was the exact same stuff) and I got this enormous piece of chocolate cake that I nearly finished. Good stuff!

One last thing before I sign off: the coffee is AWFUL!!! Nescafe everywhere ahhhh! Not even the countries in World Showcase that you would expect to have good coffee, like Italy or Germany or France, had specialty coffees. We attempted to get the Kona coffee from the Poly, but we went at night and didn't realize it was only open from 8am until 11am. So it was Nescafe for us all week long. Blehhh.

Hi Jelly. Do you know if the Divers Special is offered all of the time? Do you remember what the selections were? Thanks.

Great reviews!
We did most of the places you did on our last trip, and plan on hitting some of the others.

Thanks for the excellent reviews! And I totally agree about the coffee. :crazy2:

Thanks for your reviews. We really love Le Cellier. :earsboy:

As for the coffee-- we're seriously considering packing a coffemaker for our upcoming trip, so we can avoid the horrors of Nescafe coffee, AKA "disgusting hot brown water." :crazy2:

Thanks for the great review! It's always nice to have anothers opinion about places we want to go.

Thanks for sharing. I love it when people set up their reviews like you have, with the restaurants in bold.

I recently changed a PS so that we could fit in Cape May, as we had a good meal here a few years ago, and wanted to go back. DS is picky, eating only your normal kids fare, but he does love steamers (go figure!). And I love those chocolate bon-bon things on the dessert buffet. Glad you enjoyed your meal here.

Thanks for taking the time to share! Great reviews!

So right about the coffee--after three or four days at WDW, we have to make a special trip to the Poly for some Kona. Wonder what Nescafe has got on Michael Eisner?

Thanks Jellydisney!

It is great to get all those little tips you provided as well as the food reviews.

Thanks again,
penny

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter