• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dining Reviews December 14-21 DDP

disneymom2one

All our dreams can come true, if we have the coura
We are a family of three (mom,dad, our eleven year old). We are frequent Disney visitors but this was our first time on the DDP. We shared a lot of meals (necessary with an eleven year old). I also put the value (with tax and tip) when I did write it down.

Day 1
Breakfast - on the road
Lunch - Yakitori House (three QS) Value: $33 Grade A
Mom - Tonosama
Dad - Teryaki Chicken
Hann - Shogun Plate
Desserts (two ginger cakes and one cookie) and Drinks (soda)
This was a great way to start our trip. Yakitori House wasn't busy at all. The food was great and the service friendly. We'll be back.

Dinner - Boardwalk Bakery (1 QS & 1 Snack) Value: $16 Grade B
We split an Italian Sandwich, Mickey Cake, and a Mousse Cake.
The food was fine but I would have preferred a bigger selection.

Day 2

Breakfast Crystal Palace (2 TS + $24 OOP) Value: $72 Grade B
This is one of our favorite breakfasts but it bugs me that inevitably we miss one character. I think the place is just too big for the characters and they just can't make it around.

Lunch Boulangerie Patisserie in France (2 QS) Grade A-
We shared - a ham and cheese croissant, an open faced sandwich, an elephant ear and an order of creme brulee plus two sodas. This was a great late lunch. We got it to go and ate it once we got back to the Studio at the Boardwalk. The only minor complaint was not being able to use a snack credit to get an additional dessert. They told us we could only get sodas.

Dinner Yacht Club Galley (2 TS) Value: $95 Grade B
We shared:
Appetizers: spinach dip, crab cakes
Entrees: Herb Roasted Chicken, Grilled Top Sirloin
Desserts: Boston Cream Pie and cheesecake
2 Iced Teas and 1 Iced Water
This was a good, but not great, meal. Service was really slow and the waiter was more than a little wierd. Still this is one of our favorite restaurants on property.

Day 3
Breakfast
Mara at Animal Kingdom Lodge (3 QS) Value: $25 Grade B
We had two breakfast platters and one breakfast croissant, a yogurt, a milk, and a water. They let the yogurt go for a drink which was nice. Mara is always a nice choice for a meal although it was quite crowded. The breakfast is typical counter-service breakfast food.

Lunch
Artist's Palette at SSR (2 QS) Value: $27 Grade A
We split:
1 Hawaiian flatbread
1 Turkey Brie sandwich and chips
2 sodas and 2 cheesecakes
This was a great meal. Unlike a lot of DVC members, we really like the Artist's Palette and wish OKW had something similiar. It's just a nice place to get a quick meal that isn't fast food.

Dinner
Concourse Steak House (2 TS) Value $105 Grade - no idea
I won't say much about this meal. Just before arriving while we were on the monorail a pregnant woman verbally assaulted both me and my eleven year old (who is mildly autistic). She was upset claiming that our kiddo had "pushed her." She hadn't but had tried to squeeze past because she was afraid of being near the door. The woman was simply awful to my child even after I calmly explained that she was autistic. It was just a horrible, horrible time. It was really upsetting and the meal following was just a blur.

Day 4

Breakfast
Main Street Bakery (2 QS) Value $22 Grade A
We split two French toast loaves, a breakfast croissant, and an Apple Charlotte plus a chocolate milk and a diet coke.
This was a great meal. We had them package it to go and then headed over to a quiet Frontierland and grabbed an outside table at Pecos Bills (which was of course closed at the time). It was a perfect spot to people watch and enjoy some great food early in the morning. So relaxing and just one of my favorite memories (especially given the events of the night before).

Lunch
Wolfgang Puck Express (2 QS + $6 OOP) Value $27 Grade B
We split:
one roasted chicken dinner
one veggie focaccia
1 order of fries
2 drinks
2 brownies (outstanding)
This was my first try here and other than long lines and not being able to use the QS for bottled drinks it was a great meal. I got it to go and brought it back to the room. The fries were OOP but they are so good and the portion is huge.

Dinner
San Angel Inn (2 TS) Value $95 Grade D-
We split the Cozymel and Plato Mexicano, some nachos, and some rice pudding. This was an awful meal frankly and one of the worst I've ever had on property. The waitress was really reluctant to only let us use two credits. She brought out everything (apps and entrees) together after a long wait. And the food just wasn't good. We won't be back.

Day 5

Breakfast
Olivia's at OKW (2 TS + $6 oop)Value $36 Grade A
Mom: eggs and sweet potato hash
Dad: omelette
Kiddo: granola
We love Olivia's. It just screams "on vacation" to us. The food is always good and the service pleasant.

Lunch:
Goods to Go at OKW (1 QS) Grade B
We had a typical chicken fingers meal along with some snacks from the room to round it out.

Dinner
Crystal Palace (3 TS) Value $105 Grade B
Another really good meal, but not great, meal at the CP. This was before the Christmas Party and was good. Again we missed one of the characters.

Thanks for your reviews!! What fun to read these. I can't wait to go.

More importantly, I wanted to say that I'm so sorry about the lady who yelled at you and your daughter. What the????? That is so offensive. I'm really sorry-- I know how that can hurt, to have a stranger insult your child. (I have a super active, big 6 year old son). Big hugs to you.

Love,
Jess

Day 6
Breakfast
'Ohana at the Poly (3 TS) Value $74 Grade A
We love this breakfast. It's preplated and a lot of fun but no so wild as some of the other character meals.

Lunch
Toy Story Pizza Planet (2 QS) Value $26 Grade B+
We split two pizza meals.
I had extremely low expectations for this meal but it really was okay. The pizza was good and the salads were a nice bonus. The walk up the stairs to most of the seating is a bit much though. You also had to walk back done if you needed silverware, napkins, etc. But still, it was fine.

Dinner
Olivia's at Old Key West (2 TS) Value $81 Grade B-
We split:
Appetizers : onion rings with three dipping sauces and a mozzerella stack
Entrees: Grouper and a pasta dish
Dessert: Lime tart and an apple pie
Service was just horrificly slow and inattentive. It was so bad that after appetizers I headed back to the room with my child while my husband insisted they box up the food. They graciously did. It was just really slow service although the food was really good.

Day 7
Breakfast
Goods to Go at Olivia's (2 QS) Value $15 Grade C-
We split a breakfast platter and a croissant.
Again, for some reason we had really bad service. This is unusual for Old Key West. It wasn't anything blatant but the person clearly did not want to be bothered. Really, really strange. Good meal though.

Lunch
Wolfgang Puck Express (2 QS + $10 OOP) Value: $40 Grade A
veggie focaccia, a sandwich of some type, fries, and mac and cheese.
I again purchased the food to go. It was great and probably too much. We probably didn't need the OOP food at all. I just misjudged. And they were out of brownies ... bummer! Still this is just plain great food - especially for counter service.

Dinner
Kona Cafe at the Poly (2 TS) Value: $95 Grade A+
We split:
appetizers: wings and crabcakes
entrees: turkey and chicken (sorry I'm not more specific)
desserts: apple pie and creme brulee
We just love Kona Cafe. I think it's among the best food on property. Service was stellar and the food great.

Day 8 and Final Thoughts

We actually left a little early due to weather concerns. We finished up by repeating another breakfast at the Main Street Bakery and then had the Grand Floridian Cafe as a final meal. Both were fine and we'd do the Main Street Bakery again.

We had a great time. This was our first time on the Dining Plan and we just really enjoyed it. I posted a lot of thoughts about the plan in another post and I'll see if I can bump it up. Thanks for reading.

Great reviews, thanks for them all. I also wanted to say that I am sorry to hear what happened to you and your daughter. We were at WDW last year in March and my youngest son was acting a little silly on the bus ride back to the resort and an older man behind him smacked him on the head....I was livid!!!! So, I can completely understand why you were upset.

Thank you for the reviews! I'm sorry to hear about the ignorance of others. Hope you explained to DD that sometimes Prego women are so hyped up on hormones that they go a little nutso:confused3

Two of my sons are on the spectrum although almost no one knows it. They just think I like to tell my boys to look at me a lot :rotfl: Thankfully you didn't let her ruin your trip.

We were at WDW last year in March and my youngest son was acting a little silly on the bus ride back to the resort and an older man behind him smacked him on the head....I was livid!!!!

OMG! I probably would've smacked him back on his head! :mad: The nerve of people!! :sad2:

Great reviews, thanks for them all. I also wanted to say that I am sorry to hear what happened to you and your daughter. We were at WDW last year in March and my youngest son was acting a little silly on the bus ride back to the resort and an older man behind him smacked him on the head....I was livid!!!! So, I can completely understand why you were upset.

I would really lose it if anyone dared touch my child! My boys can be active and silly, and I always apologize if they are bothering anyone. I never ignore their bad behavior, but I would explode if this happened to me.:headache:

To the OP - thanks for the reviews and so sorry that happened to you and your daughter. Unacceptable!

To HACAM - I think if someone hit my child, I'd probably call the police. I'm not usually an "overreacting" type, and we do on rare occassions spank our own children - but for a stranger to hit a child (or an adult!) - that's assault. No way would I let that slide, no matter the persons age. Then again, the time it would take for reports, etc, might take too much of my vacation making the situation worse. I still probably would've called though.

ETA: Not saying you didn't handle it correctly, that's totally each person's own perogative - I was just stunned to read that had happened and that was my reaction.

And, sorry for the hijack - again, thanks for the reviews!!!

Thanks for the reviews!

As far as your situation with the pregnant godzilla, I'm always amazed at the number of people who frequent places like Disneyworld or SeaWorld or even family oriented cruises and can't tollerate the actions of children. They always seem to have the "Children should be seen and not heard" thing going on. I kind of pity them, because they must have had a really crappy childhood if that's how they expect kids to behave. I'm not saying kids should be allowed to run wild, but they're not exactly logical in many of their actions...

Thanks for the reviews - good to hear about Artist Pallette.

DS12 is also on the autism spectrum and he was shoved by a woman when DH told him to sit down on what appeared to be an "empty" bench across from the Kaki Gori stand in Japan. On the contrary, she was saving the ENTIRE bench for her family who would be there "any minute". Strange, but she was still sitting there by herself and her shopping bags an hour later.
DD9 wanted me to inform the woman to keep her hands to herself but I told DD not to let the turkeys get her down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter