Dining Reviews 5/17-5/21

ufgator

DIS Veteran
Here are my dining reviews from May 17-May 21. We have the DDE card, and this time I tried to remember how much we saved on our meal with the card. It was DH and myself.

Wednesday, May 17
Dinner at Citricos
Our ADR was for 7:40 pm, and this was our first time eating here. I did not have lunch so I was really hungry. Our table was not ready so we waited at the bar and ordered some drinks. I think DH had the citrus infused martini, which he liked. He usually orders beer though. We had a nice table in the back by the window, and we could see the balcony of our room. Larry was our server, and he was good. For starters, I had the romaine lettuce salad with hearts of palm and a vinaigrette dressing. I love hearts of palm and rarely get to eat them. DH had the warm goat cheese salad with arugula, frisee, lardons and marinated tomatoes. For entrees, I had the sautéed salmon with roasted fennel, Yukon gold potatoes, and black olive butter. I think DH had the oak grilled filet of beef with olive oil crushed potatoes with sweet onions and mushrooms. We both enjoyed our meals. The fireworks at MK began and we hurried up and paid our bill so we could go outside to watch. We could see them from our table but wanted to hear them too. We had Mickey rice krispie treats for dessert and sat in the lobby listening to the band. We saved around $20 with DDE.

Thursday, May 18
Lunch at Boardwalk Bakery
We had sandwiches for lunch. I had the turkey sandwich with curry mayo, and DH had the Italian sandwich. Both were good.

Dinner at Flying Fish
We had an ADR at 7:45 pm. A relative who was in town met us for dinner. Joey was our server, and he was nice. We had a nice table by the window. I love the columns in the restaurants that are meant to look like fish gills. For starters, I had the timbale of fresh hearts of palm salad with oven-cured tomatoes, avocado, frisee and balsamic reduction. DH had a sampling of cheeses. I can’t remember what cheeses they were, but one was brie, and another was blue. I had a bite of the blue, and it was good. For entrees, I had the potato-wrapped snapper with creamy leek fondue and red wine butter sauce. I love this dish! I think it’s one of my favorites of all time. DH had the scallops, which were new on the menu. The scallops were over what looked like barley. Joey told us what it was, but I can’t remember the name. We did not eat dessert here because we wanted to get ice cream from the sweet shop next door. Everyone really enjoyed this restaurant. This was not our first time eating here, and it will definitely not be our last. I think we saved around $35 with DDE.

Friday, May 19
Lunch at Beaches and Cream
This was our first time here. We ate at the counter because the tables were full. This was not a boring restaurant. I had the chicken sandwich, and DH had a cheeseburger. We both had a choice of French fries or fresh fruit. I had the fruit, and DH had the fries. Both entrees were good. Then we split a vanilla milkshake – yum. I can’t remember the last time I had a milkshake. While we were at the counter, we saw the CMs making sundaes. I couldn’t believe how large the sundaes were! We enjoyed our lunch and would definitely come back.

Dinner at Bistro de Paris
We had an ADR for 8:30 pm. Our server was Nicolas, and service was great as usual. I really love the atmosphere of this restaurant. The fireworks started, and we went downstairs to see them. We had already ordered our food, and they just asked to hold a credit card. By the time we went downstairs, Illuminations was over by 9:10. I’m not sure if anyone else was there that night, but the show was a lot shorter, and we wondered why. For entrees, I had the scallops over ravioli, and there was a green lettuce sauce. I was a little sad they that the char was not on the menu because I was looking forward to that, but the scallops made up for it. DH had the lamb. I don’t eat red meat so I can never remember DH’s meals if he ordered red meat. We both loved our meals, but as DH said, it was expected. We’ll definitely be back here. We saved around $20 with DDE.

Saturday, May 20
Lunch at Boardwalk Bakery
We were here for the Disney Doll and Teddy Bear convention. We were in a hurry so we just picked up the turkey sandwich again. It was good.

Dinner at millennium building at Epcot for the Disney Doll and Teddy Bear convention
This was part of our package. We had Caesar salads for starters. For entrees, we had chicken with an herbed mushroom cream sauce and beef with a brandy demi. This was served with green beans and mashed potatoes. For dessert, we had flourless chocolate cake with chantilly cream. Everything was good, but I didn’t care for the cake.

Late night snack at Beaches and Cream
We had dinner early, and DH was hungry around 10:30 pm. We decided to go here again. We sat at the counter again because the tables were full – is this place ever not busy?! DH had the grilled cheese. Since we were at the kitchen counter, we got to watch them making the sundaes again. I had really wanted to see someone order the kitchen sink. And lucky for us, they made 2 of them. I thought the sundaes were big, but the sink was no match for them! They container they were served in actually looked like a sink. I saw them put in many scoops of vanilla, chocolate, strawberry and mint chocolate chip. But first they put some sort of sauce (chocolate or caramel?) at the bottom. Then they put on many toppings – sauces, whipped cream, chocolate chips, etc. I think my mouth was hanging open because I couldn’t believe how large they were. I had heard about it on the Dis, but I think you have to see this in person. We were walking out as they were being served. They flashed the lights and made a big deal out of serving them. Do people actually finish these? The tables we saw ordering them were families, but I’m just wondering how much people actually eat of them.

We ate breakfast in the room most mornings. DH had a late morning breakfast at Spoodles one day, and he enjoyed his eggs and bacon. Another day we had breakfast at the convention, and it was good.

We wanted to try Bluezoo because we’ve never been and UncleR says it’s good, but we didn’t end up making it there this time. I guess there’s always next time.

I hope you enjoyed my reviews!

Thanks for the reviews! I am trying to convince my sister that we should order a kitchen sink for us and her kids in Aug but have not had any luck. The kids are boy/girl twins, age 8, and I think they would get a kick out of it!

Thanks for the great reviews! Beaches and Cream is not in the plans next week, but I just might have to squeeze it in after reading your reviews! I love the No Way Jose! Once my three kids are older, I want to get a kitchen sink just for the experience!

Thanks for the reviews! I need to try Flying Fish trip after next =) Sounds yummy!

I enjoyed reading the reviews and had been wondering how the sandwiches were at Boardwalk Bakery, thanks!!! :)

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

A VERY funny story for you...

MY DS9 had been asking for YEARS for us to buy him a kitchen sink (we have been coming to Disney since he was 2). However, every time we went to Beaches and Cream, we would get burgers or sandwiches or whatever and were just too full to order this mammoth sundae. ...and to be honest DH and I were relieved. So year after year my DH and I avoided getting one, but finally relented when he was 7.

It was the last day of our trip and he reminded us that "we promised", and so we decided we would order the kitchen sink as our lunch (no food), before heading off to the airport. The waitress allowed DS and his sister who was 9 at the time make the sundae. They PILED every topping known to man on the sundae. I was grossed out before I even put my spoon in it. I had about three bites as it was a primeordial soup. :crazy2: But the kids, especially DS went to town on this thing.

Flash foward an hour later on the way to the airport in our rental car...DS informs us he isn't feeling well and proceeds to throw up all over the back of our rented minvan!!! :eek: :sick:

When we pulled up to the car drop off, needless to say we were scared to break the news to the attendant. DH was ready to pay a "clean up" fee...but the guys, unfazed just said "oh don't worry, it happens all the time". IT DOES???!!!! No problem, no charge.
From this day forth, DS has never lived this down. We always ask if he'd like another kitchen sink, and he's such a good sport and of course says "no thanks".

Hope you enjoyed our family saga... :wave2:

ufgator - My DH & I will be arriving tomorrow & follow our WDW with a couple of days at UO. Where did you eat when you stayed at the PB & how did you like your choices? Also, how did you like the PB?

Glad you enjoyed the reviews! :)

Erikarate,
Funny story! :rotfl2:

mouseRD,
We really liked PB, and I stayed there with DH, my mom and her 2 dogs. The rooms were nice, big and clean. The bathrooms were huge! All of the staff was really friendly. We felt comfortable there, especially with the dogs.

We ate at Emerils, Margaritaville, Mama Dellas (I think this is the name?) and the Palm. We all really liked Emerils for dinner; food and service were great. We also liked Mama Dellas for dinner. We arrived at the hotel and made it there just before they stopped serving. I liked the atmosphere there, especially the different rooms, and we had a group play music at our table. They took requests. Food was good. We ate at Margaritaville for lunch. We all love Jimmy Buffett so it was fun for us. The food was good, and the people were nice there. We all liked the atmosphere.

The one place we wouldn't go back to was the Palm. The service was great, and the servers were really funny. We had a lot of fun. But the food wasn't great, and we thought it was really overpriced. All 3 of us ordered lobsters, and they were mushy. DH also had red meat with his (he had surf and turf or something like that), and he thought it was just ok. Our dinner here cost more than our dinner at Victoria and Albert's (we also ate there on this trip)! Hope this helps.

:goodvibes Thanks for the review of the Flying Fish. I was wondering what the wrapped fish dish was like.

I love it when people review the signature restaurants as we have never been to any! Sounds like a neat trip.

Thanks for the great reviews. I know what you mean about the Red Snapper at FF. I had it last year and it was my favorite meal on the trip. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter