Did Disney on scooter

mrsy

Earning My Ears
My goodness, the scooter saved me and allowed me to see far more than ever before. I highly recommend it. I have periphial artery disease and have to stop every few feet to allow leg cramping to stop. I rented a full time scooter from Walker's and it was waiting for me at the hotel. The only problem I had was that the bus from my off site hotel wasn't handicapped accessable, and I had to call the bus co. to get a special one to come. Then we had to travel to several hotels along the way. The scooter was small enough, so we found that breaking it down and putting it back together was not a huge issue if you have two people who can lift. We simply put it in the back of our vehicle and drove ourselves to the parks. We had no handicapped sticker, but found if we told the parking attendants our situation, they allowed us to park closer and at the end of a row. Animal Kingdom put us in the handicapped parking. I also never had a low battery problem.
As for the parks, I found the Disney people to be very accommodating, helpful and absolutly super. Driving by scooter through the parks is a challenge when it's crowded, and the biggest issue I had was the number of people who cut right in front of the scooter and take a chance on being hit. We found that by putting hats, ears or something on our heads, or wearing look alike shirts we became more visible to others, and it helped to find each other. I found the ferry and the sky tram thing to be very easy access.
It is a different world from chair or scooter level. I vow to always look down and in the face of all wheelchair/scooter drivers from now on! I vow to never cut in front of one or to race across their path.

thanks for your report.
glad to hear you had a good time.

Glad you had a good time and survived.

The attendant at AK made a serious mistake by allowing you to park in the disabled parking. Once in a while the Sheriff's Department will patrol and they give $250.00 tickets. A few years ago, on Disney property, I forgot to put up my hang tag and got a ticket. Since I was able to provide a photocopy of my hang tag I only had to pay a $20.00 fine for failure to display the tag.

They should have had you park in the AAA DIamond Lot, which is reight next to the handicap lot.

Isn't the AAA Diamond lot for AAA members only?

Yes, but as long as the parking attendant was willing to break the law (and possibly subject the OP to a $250 tickets) the attentant could have just broken policy and not put the OP at risk of a ticket from the Osceola County Sheriff's Department.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter