deleted

Disney is notorious for unreliable web pages. Try calling 407-WDW-DINE. Talking to a real person is actually more productive than using the online ADR tool.

Just tried to book my very first online ADR.

Clicked on the "new" link from Disney and got a message telling me that I couldn't proceed with my booking because I was using a version of Internet Explorer older than version 6, and I need version 8.

The thing is, I'm running 8! I have Windows 7 and that's the default browser! I even clicked the link to the microsoft website, and that just confirmed I'm using IE8. Tried Disney site again, no luck. Rebooted and tried again, still refused.

So I downloaded Chrome, installed and it worked! Checked availability, got a time of 7.55pm. To proceed I had to sign into my Disney account, which I did, and then got a message that there was no availability! At all, all night!

Thought this was a bit strange so rang Disney dining. They had no idea why I am getting the IE8 problems, but said that I do have a reservation online, but somewhere between getting the time and signing in the system got "stuck". So I now can't make a reservation as the "system" thinks I already have one that it is holding for me, but neither myself or the woman I spoke to could figure out anyway to release this booking so I could proceed.

So I'm stuck halfway through a reservation I can't complete OR cancel! The lovely woman at Disney tried everything but still couldn't resolve it. And, of course, it's the last available slot so I can't even make a good old fashioned phone booking. Apparently, the system will eventually "drop" the holding of my booking and the time slot will be released, but no-one has any idea when that will be. I can just keep checking back, but chances are it'll get released and someone else will get the slot before I get a chance. Sorry, feeling a bit cynical and pessimistic now!

This is the first time after 8 visits to WDW I've ever tried to actually make an ADR, and now realise why they are such a hot topic on the Dis! Just gonna stick to my usual "turn up wherever I fancy at whatever time and hope for the best" policy now!
The MSIE 8 thing is a common issue that several others are having. Unfortunately, there's no known solution other than to use a different browser (which is what you did).

From both the monster "glitch" thread as well as copied into my ADR Tutorial:
Issue - Page believes user is using Internet Explorer 6 when they are using 8. This is caused by the HTTP Headers that the browser sends to every webpage including a line about MSIE6.0. The website is seeing this line and kicking back the error, even if the user is actually using MSIE8.0 (located in another line of the Header).

Solution - Use Firefox or Google Chrome. There is no client-side fix for this at this time.
---
As far as the "stuck in your cart" thing. Typically the items should be removed from the cart after 20 minutes of no activity (session expiration) or 2 hours of active use. But, this case may be different as well, who knows :(.

Good luck.

Thanks for the help guys.

I did actually call Disney Dining while I was stuck, but they couldn't sort it out and the slot I had been stuck in sorting was the last one available that night, so no luck there.

Am surprised Disney released this site with such a big glitch, about 80% of web users use IE so this must really be affecting a lot of people. And especially irritating to folks not in the US like me, as international calls don't come cheap and I've found it sometimes takes a while to get to a human at Disney!
It doesn't affect all MSIE users, only select ones where the HTTP headers include both versions named. I don't know what causes it, maybe it's from older systems that started with MSIE 6 or before?

Mine doesn't do it, but I built this computer in March, so I was well into MSIE 8... not that I use it :p. It doesn't affect my work one either, but again that one was built in 2009 and loaded with XP (the first thing our IT guys do with new systems, at least at that time, was to strip off Vista :p) and IE7.

And, out of curiosity, I just checked... IE is shrinking more and more each quarter, down to 62% (from about 67). Firefox dropped a little (0.2%) to 24.4% while Chrome increased up to 5.2% (from about 4.7%) with Safari and Opera rounding out the major players.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter