DDP with type 2 diabetes

Cindylieu

Mouseketeer
My dad has diabetes. We all plan to use the DDP. I want to be able to suggest higher protein/lower carb options for him , especially at breakfast. Most of the snack breakfast options are muffins, bagels, etc. we could easily get him a healthy snack in the morning in the parks too. The QS and TS meals (mostly) will be no problem, as there are many good options and substitutions available. I am wondering about the breakfast use of snack credits either at the value resorts or early AM in the park. Also, exchanging the TS dessert for an appetizer, salad, or soup. Ideas?

We have never purchased the dining plan - is fresh fruit part of a snack?

Oatmeal, fruit cups and yogurt parfaits are listed as snack credits at Port Orleans Riverside. The oatmeal is really good- we added in fruit. There is also a create your own omelette at PORS. Perhaps review the menu of the resort that you are staying at (I know you said a value resort, and I just checked the allears menu for POP which lists oatmeal, fruit cup, yogurt parfaits as well, but I have not tried these at POP).
We went to BOG and subbed soup for our dessert. However, the DDP doesn't always seem to be consistent. We got fruit cups and greek yogurt for our dessert at PORS and used them for breakfast the following morning (just left them in our fridge overnight)
I think that you're wise to plan ahead - you will find options if you research. Good luck.

Also, exchanging the TS dessert for an appetizer, salad, or soup. Ideas?

This one will be hit or miss, so you'll have to ask at each restaurant. They won't substitute an app on the menu, but they may give you a side salad, cup of soup, or an extra helping of a vegetable. They all have a sugar-free dessert option, but I know that's not always good for diabetics either.

Most restaurants offer a cheese plate for dessert. That might be a good option for him.

I don't know that MOST do. Most of the signature (2TS required) restaurants have one, but I can't think of any regular TS that have one. Can you give us some examples please?

Your right i cant find them on any menu but one. A few years ago mom got the cheese boards with like every meal. There is not even one on the apps menu for most restaurants.
The wave does have one on their dessert menu. .... The Wave Cheese and Charcuterie Board - featuring unique American-crafted cheeses and artisan cured meats $15.49

DH and both parents are diabetics and we've always noted it on ADRs and reminded them at check in. This way they almost always get a "no sugar added" dessert (which has always been fine with them). The chef will also come out and give them advice on the menus (although after 20 plus years for my mom-- they all sort of know what to avoid and what might have hidden sugars). For QS, we've learned that not all QS offer NSA dessert....so you can check the menus ahead of time for "good" desserts--- if nothing else, they'll give you the grapes/apples from the kid meal. However, the best SF QS dessert (in the opinion of all three) is the SF brownie available at various dots (Electric Umbrella had one yesterday). They are prepackaged-- so when we see them, we cash in several snack credits and stock up for times when there aren't options. Also, for breakfast we bring options with us to make that a non-issue...fruit, etc....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter