DDP Tips Needed

If I might be so immodest as to plug my breakdown of DDP costs, including a spreadsheet to allow anyone to mess around with assumptions (or change prices/entitlements if there are future updates).

It provides the "break even" cost for each type of dining plan credit, helping you compare your planned meals vs. credit costs.

Actually, that is a terrible source to estimate plan costs. I've used it quite a few times, after calculating it out on paper. I never save money with the plan, on that site.
But if I look at my numbers on paper, I can save.

I don't know if the site hasn't been updated with current prices or if it uses the cheapest meal at each restaurant or if the site simply is designed to show that the dining plan doesn't save money. Whatever it is, I have found that calculating the actual cost of meals vs. the actual cost of the plan is the best way to see if it saves money or not.

I just build my own spreadsheet too. I used that site one time and it did not work for me. I just add up the cost of what my family generally orders and compare to the plan cost.

Regarding the OP's question, we found that it depended on the place (and possibly on the CM). We tried to swap a QS credit for snacks in the big candy store on Main Street at MK and the CM at the counter didn't allow it. Later we tried again at the POP Century store and they let us.

All dinning plans are based on per night stay, so lets say your staying 7 nights and have a family of 5.

TS meal - 35 entitlements - QS 35 entitlements - 70 snack credits, and 5 mugs -
These can be used however you want to use them... in what ever order you want to use them, so what I am saying is if you want to do 2 TS in one day its okay... then have a pool day and just go with QS you can do that to, or snack credit around the world showcase go for it.

I always try to make sure that we have enough credits for breakfast on the day of departure

Make sure to spend out your snack credits the night before if your leaving early on departure day, you can get some items to take home to keep the magic alive longer.

Do get water delivered, garden grocer, or staples to resort or a stop with a private car... Don't waste snack credits on water...

Use your mugs at resort for drinks, and get bottled drinks to go into the parks, or take back to the room for in the evening, use mugs at the poolside.

Do your homework on where you want to eat and see what you might can split to make your credit go farther... Like sharing QS for lunch and breakfast and using a snack credit to add to the meal... Like sharing a big breakfast and getting yogurt or a muffin go along - then you can use another QS to share at Rays for 1/2 chicken dinner. When our DD were little we could order 1 kids chicken fingers, and 1 adult chicken fingers, and share the drinks and dessert and it was enough for us... when they were teenager, we could order 2 or 3 adult meals to split between the 4 of us easy.

Most portion are large and easily split, check out portion size, ask the server...and be sure to let them know ahead of time that you will be splitting a meal. Do tip accordingly to party size.

Look at the snack options you can share and this way you can try more options.... especially over in Epcot lots of interesting options.

The best advice is do your homework... make a plan ahead of time.... not set in stone but know your options...

Tips? Hm. Split meals. Many QS meals make a comfortable bite for 2. Or buying 2 feeds 3 type of thing. Over the course of a trip, this can get an entire extra meal. Look for the expensive restaurants and character meals and enjoy places you wouldn't normally eat. Have a blast, don't hesitate to order the steak, lamb, or other expensive entree. If you do want to order something cheap because that's what you're in the mood for, just pay cash for it and save your "point" for somewhere that you want something more expensive. In other words, don't spend a point if you order a salad. If one of you orders the steak a lot and one of you orders a salad, then pay cash for the salad and use a point for the steak. Then, share the soda and dessert that you get w the point-meal and you won't be overloaded having got 2 sodas and 2 desserts that you won't want. This will stretch your points to 2x the meals while paying cash for less expensive entrees. Pay cash for your breakfasts which tend to be cheaper, pay with points for dinners or character meals that are expensive. Hit up the dinner show-type events that cost more, like Akershus or the Biergarten. Anything with entertainment costs more out of pocket and therefore is a better use of a point. There are tons of tips out there... Just read up!

This is what we do! We order one quick service and then share it.....if we are still hungry then we get something else!

Actually, that is a terrible source to estimate plan costs. I've used it quite a few times, after calculating it out on paper. I never save money with the plan, on that site.
But if I look at my numbers on paper, I can save.

I don't know if the site hasn't been updated with current prices or if it uses the cheapest meal at each restaurant or if the site simply is designed to show that the dining plan doesn't save money. Whatever it is, I have found that calculating the actual cost of meals vs. the actual cost of the plan is the best way to see if it saves money or not.
I, too, have found that the DDp is a value to us-family of 5. And I'm surprised at how many people say it isn't. But, depending on multiple factors, it could be a huge value. Our last trip 2015, I kept all the receipts and added it up when we got home. We came out on top-especially with the character meals. You can look at the cost per day, but you also have to do the work and calculate it out. Our next trip, 2018, we will have 4 Disney adults (2 over 10 boys) and 1 child. And I'm hard pressed to find a way I'm wasting money on the DDP.

On our last visit, we were on the DDP and noticed that wait staff frequently steered us towards the highest priced items, including milk shakes instead of sods or water. We were pretty much forced to take desert on multiple occasions. On 2 instances they actually frowned on entree choices that were cheap saying that they weren't good (taste). After this happened a few times, we realized that they seemed to be trying to increase the $ value in order to increase their tip. (assuming we would tip a % of total). Be aware of this if you find yourself in this situation and tip appropriately.

Even if it doesn't come out as the most economical choice it's still the best choice for us...I like not having to worry about paying for our food once we are there. the only thing I'm spending my money is the fun stuff once we are there!

The TS for CS swap is poor value, but not as bad as leaving the TS credit unused, of course.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter