DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

In the example I gave the person wasn’t using rider swap. They were told to get a return time for the child’s wheelchair at the exit. I don’t think that process has changed at all. I’ve used it with a stroller as a wheelchair before.

ETA: I went and looked and the accessibility guide calls it “location return times”. https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/accessing-attractions/#aa-location-return-time
This is actually how I remember it working when I used a wheelchair at Tokyo Disney.

Can I please just add that not all mobility issues are addressed via use of a wheelchair or other aid
if it’s someone with a condition who previously received DAS— they probably weren’t just a normal wheelchair accommodation

You are both correct there can be situations that need individual evaluation of the needs involved. However I was responding to this statement, supposedly made by the child’s mother, who presumably would mention if there were any “extenuating circumstances” that were ignored in the determination:
for a ‘can’t walk’ physical disability

They were told to get a return time for the child’s wheelchair at the exit. I don’t think that process has changed at all.
And you are correct. That is and has been the accommodation for a mobility device on both coasts for years. It does impact the DLR attractions more so than any other park. But no DAS is need to take a wheelchair through an alternate (accessible) entrance. There may be a return time issued if several mobility devices are waiting.

I’m sorry but my mind is still blown that this is an all encompassing all rides all day pass I legitimately thought it was three rides and then the rest standby as I find that “reasonable” yeah I guess changes are on the way fast.

I’m sorry but my mind is still blown that this is an all encompassing all rides all day pass I legitimately thought it was three rides and then the rest standby as I find that “reasonable” yeah I guess changes are on the way fast.
The DAS is intended to allow individuals to access the attractions when they otherwise would not be able to utilize the standby queue. Much like a ramp or elevator allows someone in a wheelchair to get to an upper or lower level. Would you tell a wheelchair user “sorry, max 3 ramps of elevator rides.” Would you like to be told you can only do 3 attractions per day?

Disney is taking steps to make the DAS less attractive to fraud. But what might be the larger issue is simply the number of individuals with needs that have qualified for DAS. Disney will be rolling out alternative accommodations for some individuals.

Why would you think that people with disabilities should only be allowed to ride 3 rides per day?

Are you kidding me with this? The lightening lane is sometimes longer than the standby I was just confused as I didn’t know what the program was I’m just getting informed. No animosity just questions apparently triggering.

Are you kidding me with this? The lightening lane is sometimes longer than the standby I was just confused as I didn’t know what the program was I’m just getting informed. No animosity just questions apparently triggering.
No, I’m not kidding and I’m not triggered. I don’t qualify for a DAS pass personally. But your question clearly said that you thought the pass was only good for 3 rides which you stated you found reasonable, and I’m just wondering why that is. I feel like that is a fair and honest question in response to your comment.

Lanejudy explained nicely the reason that limiting a person with disabilities to 3 rides would be inappropriate 😊 This entire forum section is related to folks with disabilities, and the das is for those with disabilities, so if you have no familiarity with the program, no experience with disabilities, and no skin in the game it’s ok to sit back and listen and learn!

I honestly can't tell if you're missing the boat here or if you're just trolling. You previously implied that unlimited LL access was over kill and now you're implying LL access is worse than stand by. The fact is that those that are using DAS are gaining access to the ride through the LL entrance but they are waiting the posted standby time before gaining that access. This is what Disney offers to make their parks ADA compliant, which is giving equal reasonable access to their offerings to those able bodied and disabled.

People that use the DAS more often than not cannot stand in lines otherwise for whatever condition they might have. It might be they can't stand 30+ minute wait or something else - and it is often specific to them why they can't. So yes, limiting the DAS to three rides would be limiting a disabled person utilizing is - that can't do the lines without it - to only three rides.

And no, it isn't 'triggering.'

I've been keeping up with this thread and thinking on it quite a bit. One thing I've been wondering about was the teased new Genie+ changes and if this relates. Tom Bricker apparently agrees:

https://www.disneytouristblog.com/advance-lightning-lane-before-trip-disney-world-predictions/

Disney must have quite a degree of confidence these changes will have an impact on lines. The ability to book LL in advance may also help alleviate some people's concerns about planning park days (I know not all, so don't come at me).

I've been keeping up with this thread and thinking on it quite a bit. One thing I've been wondering about was the teased new Genie+ changes and if this relates. Tom Bricker apparently agrees:

https://www.disneytouristblog.com/advance-lightning-lane-before-trip-disney-world-predictions/

Disney must have quite a degree of confidence these changes will have an impact on lines. The ability to book LL in advance may also help alleviate some people's concerns about planning park days (I know not all, so don't come at me).
Disney also had confidence that GAC and DAS would work.

The ability to prebook LLs might satisfy some who are outraged over DAS but will Disney then tie the numbers of pre bookings to resort level stays or to whether or not someone is a DVC member? If so, will that kick off a new round of angry people?

Almost any accommodation designed to mitigate a disability will give a nondisabled person a significant boost and open to abuse.
Something interesting I thought of today since one of my last posts yesterday was comparing current DAS and Genie+ and how some members use both.

I was thinking first of how useful DAS is and how crazy useful it can be when an abuser/faker ALSO uses G+. I thought, what if you don't allow DAS users to purchase G+ anymore, since DAS is usually superior anyway? They share some things in common, but are different enough to be useful together and that may cut down on people faking or abusing DAS + Genie+. If someone is looking for the absolute shortest waits all day, they would combine both, so making them jump through hoops for DAS may not be as worth it.

But then I got to thinking if they would even be able to do that. Is the reason they keep DAS and G+ different enough to be compatible together because they actually have to offer it to all DAS guests? Every normal guest has an option to buy G+ if they want, so at the start of every day would every DAS guest have to be able to buy it as well, even though DAS is similar (and most people thing superior) in it's current form?

Just some thoughts!
Yeah, I think you are right … because they offer it to all non disabled guests they wouldn’t be able exclude guests with disabilities 🤷🏼‍♀️

Oh this prearrival looks very much like....FP+? It's interesting how disney wdw is unique in the way people want to plot.out the entire day months in advance while DLR and rest of world really likes to just line up and know the times and go from there.

Just weird how that is.

DLR folk would love to have max pass back. timed.entries booked days ahead would make people love.g+ 🤣

Yes. My understanding is that Disney needs get a grip on who is using the LL and when… so that they can offer better LL services to all

Disney also had confidence that GAC and DAS would work.

The ability to prebook LLs might satisfy some who are outraged over DAS but will Disney then tie the numbers of pre bookings to resort level stays or to whether or not someone is a DVC member? If so, will that kick off a new round of angry people?
That's how it used to be. 60 days for onsite, 30 days for off.

Edit: I just reread what you wrote and understand it differently. I have no idea if they'll tie it numbers wise to different affiliations. I just figured onsite vs off.

A great teacher experience:

Our DS needed an Ipad to help communicate during his early school years. Once when I had dropped by to give his lunchbag that he forgot.; one classmate blurted out 'I Wish I had an ipad like him to play with!' The teacher calmly responded 'honey, you know he needs it to communicate at all and know that you really wouldn't want to have to depend on it as the only way to be successful to interact'.

Kid had a great learning moment and it took. She was his bestie for following years and now a SpEd teacher herself.

Not all heros wear capes.

Yes. My understanding is that Disney needs get a grip on who is using the LL and when… so that they can offer better LL services to all
This. LL times routinely hitting 30+minutes and that's not helping any stakeholder. They need to rightsize the LL otherwise everything breaks down. It'll certainly be multi-pronged approach to get it handled.

Revamp of ADA accommodations and DAS 3.0 alone won't be enough.

Enforcement of fraudulent uses with very public bannishment will be an essential deterrent -- will Disney bring the hammer?

This. LL times routinely hitting 30+minutes and that's not helping any stakeholder. They need to rightsize the LL otherwise everything breaks down. It'll certainly be multi-pronged approach to get it handled.

Revamp of ADA accommodations and DAS 3.0 alone won't be enough.

Enforcement of fraudulent uses with very public bannishment will be an essential deterrent -- will Disney bring the hammer?
Yes. The Disney employee in the family is saying that it’s his understanding that is the end goal of all of this… better efficiency with the LL. Which is why one of the cornerstones is party size. It doesn’t seem like a lot of people when someone has a family of 5 … but take into account every family if 5 or 6 or more who need accommodations…and then the families that purchased LL and suddenly you are talking a lot of people.
And DAS is hard for them control. They can’t refuse to issue a return time… so everyone who wants to schedule a ride time has to be offered one even if 50 other DAS families requested one for the same time. But they can’t say “come back later” because they can’t do that to standby guests .. so they can’t do with DAS guests either.
So there are so many working parts to this… I would not want to be the person in charge of sorting this mess out lol

Yes. The Disney employee in the family is saying that it’s his understanding that is the end goal of all of this… better efficiency with the LL. Which is why one of the cornerstones is party size. It doesn’t seem like a lot of people when someone has a family of 5 … but take into account every family if 5 or 6 or more who need accommodations…and then the families that purchased LL and suddenly you are talking a lot of people.
And DAS is hard for them control. They can’t refuse to issue a return time… so everyone who wants to schedule a ride time has to be offered one even if 50 other DAS families requested one for the same time. But they can’t say “come back later” because they can’t do that to standby guests .. so they can’t do with DAS guests either.
So there are so many working parts to this… I would not want to be the person in charge of sorting this mess out lol
In an even worse position than the one sorting might be the one who came up with the boondoggle in the first place!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter