DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

I disagree with those that say DAS users should wait in a room. The point of DAS is that guests can take care of their needs somewhere dif than the queue. So eating, shopping, walking, sitting, bathroom are all things that do that.

This, 💯! I can’t even imagine what that would be like for those with DD, forcing them to remain in a room while waiting for a ride.

As for the combo of DAS and Genie +, we didn’t use Genie + on our last trip in DL. We did have both on our previous trip to WDW. We basically used Genie + for rides that had it, and DAS for rides that didn’t, and we used DAS to repeat one or two rides that we couldn’t repeat using Genie +. I also paid for ILL for Guardians and RotR. We didnt use DAS for either because my son wanted to try and appreciate the standby theming. It was okay for Guardians, but a fiasco for RotR. Actually the whole interactive nature was a fiasco for him and he never wants to ride it again if CMs are going to want you to interact. He was just all stressed out and really couldn’t appreciate the ride at all. I personally found it difficult too.

For WDW, a combo of Genie + and DAS made out trip doable. Between my disabilities and my son’s ASD and his needs, it allows us to have a similar but I wouldn’t say better experience. We aren’t running around between rides and getting on a zillion of them.

I also paid for ILL for Guardians and RotR. We didnt use DAS for either because my son wanted to try and appreciate the standby theming.
I'm confused, wouldn't you go in the Lightning Lane and not the standby queue either way? How did the ILL let you guys see more of the standby theming?

If they wanted to do it, they would obviously make it so that turning off tracking, turning off your phone, or closing the app for more than a couple minutes (the time it would take to do a phone reset, restart the app a couple times if needed, etc) would also cancel the DAS selection.

It would actually be pretty easy.
Or don't into big signal blocking attractions. Sorin' does that routinely. Disney wouldnt do this. Plus this is Disney it 🤣

Am I correct in thinking Saturday will be the first time the new system gets tested via the virtual chat based on the 30 day timeline for DAS?
Yes, 30 days prior to May 20th would be this coming Saturday (April 20th). There was some confusion last week as to whether guests could do a pre-registration prior to May 20th. I don't believe they'll shut it down for the interim because not everybody does the pre-registration at exactly 30 days prior, so there will continue to be folks with visits prior to the change doing pre-registration as well. We may see some reports starting this weekend.

Yes, 30 days prior to May 20th would be this coming Saturday (April 20th). There was some confusion last week as to whether guests could do a pre-registration prior to May 20th. I don't believe they'll shut it down for the interim because not everybody does the pre-registration at exactly 30 days prior, so there will continue to be folks with visits prior to the change doing pre-registration as well. We may see some reports starting this weekend.
I hope the CMs are properly prepared for the emotions that might occur when people get rejected who got approved before.

So even those with the virtual lines still have LLs? That’s interesting since they don’t have standby lines
And if you get a VQ boarding group and have DAS, you are allowed to enter the LL when your BG is called.

If you get a BG and don't have DAS, you enter the regular line (sort of standby line, but you must have a BG to enter).

If you pay for a ILL$, you enter the LL at your ILL$ time that you selected.

Of course not everyone doing something else while in a DAS virtual wait is abusing the system. But pretty much all of those that ARE faking, taking advantage of, or abusing the system are doing something else while in a DAS virtual wait, usually rides. We are trying to stop the second group, not the first legitimate group.

What I had said that Disney could do if they wanted would not limit shows, concerts, parades, character greets, resting, eating, etc., just rides. If something like that would cut down on the people lying and faking to get DAS and keep DAS for those who actually need it, it may be worth it.
You are making a lot of assumptions and suggesting changes based on what you assume is abuse and who are fakers
Disney is making changes based on what they assume are problems. They have data on what they feel needs to be changed and this is apparently not part of it.
It is not helpful for people to keep posting these same things over and over

I hope the CMs are properly prepared for the emotions that might occur when people get rejected who got approved before.
I am convinced that this is the reason for changing to video calls only: to mostly* eliminate any scenes from public view. Speaking from the perspective of one who’s had to manage irate customers in a much less busy, but still public, space, being able to just hit “End Call” would have been a whole lot easier! And angry Guests in the middle of the park is “bad show.”

(*I say mostly because I’m certain a whole lot of folks will have missed all of this news and will show up in the parks to request DAS like they’re used to and GR will still need to deal with the emotions of that and those who need to use the in-park video call system.)

I feel this! I am taking DD (14) next month, overlapping the change. I do my chat tomorrow and am so nervous about it. DD has Type 1 Diabetes but I have never gotten her the DAS pass for that as my condition always allowed for the pass, which has benefitted both of us as she has had some blood sugar issues while in the parks. I feel like having DAS has alleviated some of the stresses of my condition and allowed me to have fun and try to relax. I know how to handle myself and my condition. I'm sad that it is now up to someone else to say, "no, you're fine, no DAS for you". Not trying to be melodramatic, but I know me. Someone I'm talking to through a screen doesn't understand my day to day life and if getting an accessibility pass for a trip for a few days gives me some momentary relief, I really wish that could be granted. I know I have the choice of whether to go to Disney or not, but having been able to use the pass and knowing how helpful it really is, it's a hard thing to now shift my brain back.
I hope it goes well. I'm in a similar position. I have an autoimmune condition that I've always gotten DAS for but my daughter has had many of the same issues and is in the process of getting her own diagnosis and treatment. She's 12. My DAS has worked well for us both. I'm wondering now if either of us will qualify and I'm unsure how we'll navigate the parks without it but I'm especially worried about her.

I am convinced that this is the reason for changing to video calls only: to mostly* eliminate any scenes from public view. Speaking from the perspective of one who’s had to manage irate customers in a much less busy, but still public, space, being able to just hit “End Call” would have been a whole lot easier! And angry Guests in the middle of the park is “bad show.”

(*I say mostly because I’m certain a whole lot of folks will have missed all of this news and will show up in the parks to request DAS like they’re used to and GR will still need to deal with the emotions of that and those who need to use the in-park video call system.)
They ARE putting this smack in the entry of DLR's esplanade too though. It's an interesting move and addresses the 'if I don't get DAS, I'm SOL since entered the park already' complaint. As well as offloading City Hall which is frankly a mess right now.

Actually, I would hope they are trained to offer and explain the appropriate accommodation. So many posts here are assuming it's DAS or nothing. If properly trained, the CM should offer the appropriate accommodation (be that DAS or other) and explain how it will work.

They ARE putting this smack in the entry of DLR's esplanade too though. It's an interesting move and addresses the 'if I don't get DAS, I'm SOL since entered the park already' complaint. As well as offloading City Hall which is frankly a mess right now.
I’m not at all familiar with DLR - are you saying that the DAS request spot will be outside of the parks’ entry? I saw someone indicate that DAS requests in the parks would still be via video chat, but conducted in a private room via tablet - I assumed that was for WDW and DLR, but didn’t pay close attention.

Good point.
That has happened previously when people were denied.
I think a big part of moving DAS totally to video is to get consistency in the process and prevent 'commotion' in Guest Relations (for want of a better word).

Good point.
That has happened previously when people were denied.
I think a big part of moving DAS totally to video is to get consistency in the process and prevent 'commotion' in Guest Relations (for want of a better word).
Right? It’s SO much easier to stick to the rules when you don’t have a public spectacle in the mix. I worked in banking and I can’t tell you how many customers got a better interest rate simply by being loud. :headache:

I’m not at all familiar with DLR - are you saying that the DAS request spot will be outside of the parks’ entry? I saw someone indicate that DAS requests in the parks would still be via video chat, but conducted in a private room via tablet - I assumed that was for WDW and DLR, but didn’t pay close attention.
I don't remember if it's still posted on the Disneyland website, but it said DAS registration would be available in the Esplanade area between the 2 parks

Folks -- both mods posted warnings last night and I will repeat it now: we need to stop with all the "solutions." Disney has made their decision. They have lawyers and analysts and data. My understanding is they have incorporated feedback from disability groups and/or DAS users. So many of the "solutions" presented by various posters on this thread would not be allowed and is downright discriminatory.

It is time to move along until we have more info, unless you have a specific question to ask about the info we have at this time.
Thank you, I keep checking back here for any updates on more info released by Disney or to hear about folks experiences applying for DAS since the changes, and it's hard to find anything relevant for those who actually use DAS and are planning a trip because there's just pages and pages of folks arguing/speculating.

Side note, Gothic Rosie (vlogger) posted last night that she was told (along with others) that CMs are telling folks at Disneyland to 'ignore the language' on the site saying its limited to DD and to still apply/have that conversation with a CM. Of course, grain a salt here since CMs can be wrong, but seems this is being told to folks quite a bit over there.

Yeah, my guess is that they will convert one of the ticketing huts to a DAS hut line. There's always a fair amount of people yelling and screaming at the windows for whatever reason, so I can see that blending in as business as usual.

The added benefit is that the CM is behind a window and more secured environment with security already immediately available.

It's the unfortunate truth that CMs need this.

CMs are telling folks at Disneyland to 'ignore the language' on the site saying its limited to DD and to still apply/have that conversation with a CM.

I have encouraged the same thing. Do that video call within the 30-day window. See what is offered as accommodation. Assuming there is no accommodation certainly will get you exactly that -- no accommodation.

Edited to clarify the window for doing the video call; please don't call NOW for a trip later this summer or fall.

Last edited:
My son got his newest DAS the morning the day of the announcement, but before the announcement. We were told 60 days at the renewal, but I’m assuming it will actually be 30?

Actually ours was from March and we still had 60 days ending May 21. I logged into chat and it allowed me to go to ride selections without having to do the video approval again so I am assuming they will hold your 60 days

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter