DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

I hope this isn’t as strict as it sounds. Ironically enough the 2 autistic folks I know don’t need this program but over the last couple years I very much did.

I guess at least they aren’t rolling it out overnight like UOR did. But culling so many people out of the program while making it easier for the cheats is idiotic. 1 minute googling autism and a cheat will know the symptoms enough to pass whatever this new interview is. At least before a cheat had to go to the effort to pick a diagnosis to find symptoms of…

They didn't.

I think they did. They want to outsource the identification of disabilities to a 3rd party to:
  • Limit potential conflict with castmembers,
  • Limit liability from lawsuits by deferring to another organization's determination of disability, and/or
  • Limit abuse of the current policy, especially with large groups.
They may not have thought through all side effects of this change, but I think they were pretty deliberate about their goals with the change.

Just a friendly reminder here that PTSD can happen to anyone, not just those in the military. For example, we have a friend whose husband tried to strangle her to death (literally) because she confronted him about his cheating on her. She escaped by biting his arm hard, but then when she divorced the, well, you fill in the blank anything I do would get me banned, the courts sided with him, even the police did, despite medical evidence and testimony saying it was clear she was defending herself with any means necessary. Something like that will leave you with PTSD and she was not in the military.

Yes, it is more likely that someone with PTSD was in the military, but being in the military isn't a requirement to have PTSD.
I know that. I was illustrating one specific instance of a specific disability that directly seems to contradict the values Disney portrays itself as having.

We never felt comfortable with the advanced reservations for DAS when they rolled out. Oddly enough we used the unpredictability of which ride is next as a high level reward to help our son adapt to having to deal with unpredictability at times. I think removing the advanced reservations itself would cut down a lot of misuse.

We don't have any problem scanning at the ride and waiting elsewhere so I hope that remains for those who need it. While our son has gotten better there were times his meltdowns and anxiety attacks would never have let us wait in a crowded queue for 45 + minutes.

I already mentioned the emergency exits so beat you to it lol.

But being more serious, whatever emergency exits they have are good enough to qualify for fire code, so I imagine any personal emergency would qualify for the same "timing" required for an exit
It's already been pointed put several emergency exits have stairs. That made meet fire code but doesn't make them accessible. Only some fire code emergency exists have to be accessible, and the one that's accessible may be very far from where you are in the queue

I'm also bummed out about this - it has really helped me on my trips to Disney since I stopped feeling guilty asking for DAS.

I was diagnosed with ADHD years ago in college while my sibling was diagnosed when we were kids. As a little girl, I was told all the typical things you hear about now versus being evaluated properly. It has helped me understand myself and I work with a therapist to manage my differences.

Now that said, I don't get DAS for that because I feel deeply guilty about it when compared to kids with autism, etc.

I discovered a year ago that I have a condition where I can have some health concerns if I stand or sit for too long so waiting in normal queues all day long puts me at risk. That was why I started using DAS and as such, I will no longer qualify. It's a disappointment because I really can't stand in lines all day like a normal person and nor should I be using a wheelchair or scooter because I am in good shape otherwise.

I guess I will have to fully rely on G+ or start to use my neurodiversity as the reason for DAS. That isn't my preference because it doesn't feel right. I usually get both so I can get done at the park quicker and lesson the long days on my body but I feel like I have no choice in order to take care of myself ... or stop going to Disney. I always buy the Express pass at Universal so I wish Disney had a similar offering.

Last edited:

I know someone that had huge intestinal surgery and is in the bathroom every 30 minutes regardless of what they do. If they had to get in line for Mine Train is there going to be a CM to hold their place 2-4 times during that wait... there could be 10 people in line with same issues and I don't see Disney putting hundreds of CM's on the schedule as line holders.

Feel like the idea is with good intentions to cut down on the abusers but this is going to change going to Disney for a lot of people.
Yeah I suspect the first couple of months is going to be a bit wild and rough with this new system as they sort out the kinks. And realize that what they think works on paper isn’t going to work in reality.

I’m kinda glad my trips not until August now so it has time to sort itself out.

That would work extremely well if they did it for all rides, but only if they added a lot more attractions/shows etc. People standing in line lowers congestion on walkways. If all those people in line spend the first half of their time just walking around, it would seem a lot more crowded unless they had something to do
Yeah I’ve done runDisney before and people will just hang out at the queue entrance. While the VQ works on a smaller scale. All I can see is another disaster if every ride went VQ.
I do think a good change is 4 people or immediate family members. But that’s about the only good thing I see here, for now.
Yeah the 4 person thing is literally the only thing that makes sense right now.

"They will still be giving accommodations to many types of disabilities in various ways."
How, though? What kind of various accommodations are you talking about?
Right now the two major options are a) wheelchair accessible lines and transportation and b) the DAS. Which in this exact thread, people are talking about how limiting it to developmental disabilities will greatly impact their trip, if they're even able to still access Disney without getting the DAS for the physical reasons they need it. That's how it's hurting people.
Disney is a private business- a private business that has a foundation in marketing itself as accessible to the whole family, disability-friendly, allergy-friendly, etc. Making a big change that will possible negate a lot of that doesn't mean people should just handwave it because they're a private business.

I think they make a lot of reasonable accommodations for a lot of people. But I don't know how far it's possible for them to go for every thing that exists. Even with allergies, like you mentioned...they make reasonable accommodations. But they don't stop using every single ingredient in the parks that people are allergic to.

Robert Niles is a reputable Disney reporter and has a good article with Theme Park Insider ..

- Health Alliance is training Disney CM to better handle the process, ask the right questions, understand the information.
- Without third party Disney can not ask for medical history.
- There does not appear to be any paperwork like Universal, that has to be costing Universal plenty.
- NO MORE advance reservation times.
- For regular tickets it expires with tickets, with AP 120 days.
- Limits on number on DAS.
- New return to queue pass - in the past they have tested this, I saw it, for any guest needing to leave for bathroom.

I've seen references that DAS requests have tripled, likely since Genie+ became a thing. No surprise that this is happening. Not looking forward to the process, but I understand just based on observations at the park.

When you say "limits on number of DAS" are you referring to how many people will be allowed in the group with the individual who has DAS? Or limit on the amount of DAS returns a person can get per day?

Anxiety absolutely is a disability, especially if combined with agoraphobia. A condition is disabling ub

Absolutely anxiety can be a disability. A condition is a disability under the ADA if it limits one or more major life activities. The reason Disney’s old system was so great was that it actually was focused on the limitation- not the diagnosis. It isn’t really relevant whether a guest has a developmental disability any more than it’s relevant whether they have anxiety. What is relevant is whether the guest’s developmental disability or anxiety causes them to have difficulty standing in lines. For example, I have panic disorder and social anxiety with agoraphobia, and as a result I can’t stand in lines at grocery stores, shops, gas stations, and the like. But according to the geniuses at the Walt Disney Corporation, because I don’t have a developmental disability, I can deal with 2 hour line for a roller coaster.

Thanks for the info. I hadn't looked at it that way before.

I am sure an a caregiver can advocate for the person requiring a DAS. I agree, if they solely needed to interview my son who needs the accommodation, that would be an interesting conversation.

Ha! Yeah...my son mainly just repeats various phrases so they certainly wouldn't get much out of him. I hope when he is legally an adult, I will still be able to help get him DAS (or whatever version of it exists in 8 years.)

Then you go out the nearest exit you see. Even after waiting for DAS as it is now now you have to wait a few minutes through the lightning lane after.

Or in some cases, much longer than a few minutes!

I hate that DAS returns have to be lumped in with LL.

Well there about to get me saying my rare diagnosis I guess… (I have a neurodevelopmental disorder that about 50 people have).

Kind of wonder what’s going to happen to those who are stuck in the middle of not having a developmental disorder, not having needs covered by the bathroom pass, and not having physical needs that are covered by a wheelchair.

Because I used it a lot to get out of lines that would trigger my migraines. Which can knock me out for days.

I have school accomodations related to my anxiety. So yeah it can be counted. Just because base line anxiety isn’t disabling doesn’t mean that’s the case for all of us who deal with it.

I think if enough people contact Disney and voice their concerns, we could definitely seem some changes in the way it's worded on their website. I think that's why they are putting this out there NOW but not having it go into effect for a couple months. Give them feedback. The more they hear, the more likely they are to take it to heart and possibly make some changes to accommodate more people.

That would work extremely well if they did it for all rides, but only if they added a lot more attractions/shows etc. People standing in line lowers congestion on walkways. If all those people in line spend the first half of their time just walking around, it would seem a lot more crowded unless they had something to do

That would level the playing field for everyone if they could limit the time all guests actually spend waiting in line negating need the need for any accommodation.

I agree that the "lines" move a lot of people out of the walk ways, but it does the opposite when the LL line for Space mountain is back to the People mover. The LL lines are way out of control which is also may be a catalyst for this change. They would need some place for these people to go. I see opportunity here for more shopping and venues for people to hang and buy food and drinks. Every problem has a solution and there is an opportunity to monetize this.

Personally, I would get rid of LL or make that the DAS lane and create virtual queues for every ride, and I would sell tiers of service to accelerate the VQ. Tier 3 lowest cost and it cuts the VQ line down by a certain percent, then Tier 2 is middle cost and cuts down VQ by even more and final Tier 1 is cut down the VQ by maybe half.

I do think a good change is 4 people or immediate family members. But that’s about the only good thing I see here, for now.
There had been some chatter about third party tour guides (itself not allowed) using DAS to help with their tour groups. I'd guess that they were also seeing a lot of very large groups using DAS and it was getting out of hand.

There had been some chatter about third party tour guides (itself not allowed) using DAS to help with their tour groups. I'd guess that they were also seeing a lot of very large groups using DAS and it was getting out of hand.

I don't remember the number of people on the current system although 6 sticks in my head. It certainly wasn't open ended. But I agree 4 is better.

Are we the same person? I have ADHD but was not diagnosed until my mid 20s. It's been a struggle but it feels kind of relieving to know what exactly is "wrong" with me (using big air quotes, not trying to insinuate something is wrong with people who have ADHD).

I'm coping better now than I did in the past but I do feel like younger me would've benefited from DAS. I'm still very fidgety in lines and need something in my hands to keep myself occupied (ex. phone, handheld game system, etc.)

Absolutely. I went through a range of emotions. Relief that I could finally explain all these things. A little anger too. These things are so, so common for folks diagnosed as adults. I think there are many more of us out there than people generally think.

I know in my situation, I have avoided DAS because it would be a tacit admission that I need help, and that is very difficult for me. I tell myself I coped just fine with FP+, logistical planning is something I hyperfixate on and I use it to my advantage. All that "ADHD is a superpower" type of talk where I convince myself I don't need help. But those timestamped posts I leave in the Here and Back Again thread about everything I did during rope drop always leave out things like having to dump a tray of food at Casey's to go lay down in the dark in First Aid for 30 minutes because I overdid it and my brain started resembling the plastic cheese. I have everything down to a science touring the parks but sometimes it still goes sideways and I get reminded that "no, actually, you are not neurotypical!" And it sucks. It's a lot easier on trips with my gf because she also has brain stuff but also cystic fibrosis, so I have to be more conscious of her medical needs which forces me to slow down and take care of mine. Even before I had the incident last solo trip, she was encouraging me to try for DAS on our September trip. I have to see how this new system works.

I"m deeply saddened about this news for my DD. She has a hematological condition. She take oral chemo and I just don't see any way this new system will accommodate her. Guess the upcoming trip in August will not be fun for her. Maybe we will cancel? I just don't know.

I wonder if this will actually make it easier for me to explain why my son needs DAS. I've always hated that they say they don't want to hear a diagnosis. Because his diagnosis is the reason he needs the accommodation. I always get nervous for the call because I'm never sure how to explain things. I mean, he struggles with long lines because he's autistic. I never know what else I can say about it. He's minimally verbal so I actually have no idea WHY he struggles so much with it. (Is it the people? The noise? The length of time?) It would be nice if a worker is more educated about autism so that I wouldn't need to try to break it down. I wish I knew the WHYS of my son but basically "because he's autistic" seems to be the only WHY.

Of course, on the other side....I worry this makes it easier for people to just say "I'm autistic." And be given the pass. I know you can't 'see' autism (though I feel like in some cases, like my son, it's fairly obvious.) So I'm not sure how they could really cut down on fakers.

I think there were already people who basically listed autistic traits to get DAS before though.

This is upsetting. My disability seems to no longer qualify and the rejoining the line thing wouldn't solve my issue either. I can buy Genie, sure, but with only an hour window this presents problems for me too. I'll wait to see what other info comes, but this is really disappointing. Disney was one of the only places I could go to really enjoy myself despite my challenges.

How about those that use mobility scooters that have this issue? There is no way to quickly get out of most of the queues with a mobility scooter.

This is where I am feeling stuck. I have bathroom issues plus anxiety. And the one can definitely impact the other. But I travel to Disneyland with my Mom in a wheelchair. If I have to leave the line, she will not be able to propel herself forward --- could maybe walk it a little ---- but not far or for very long. So if I have to leave the line, I guess the whole line stops or I have to fight to get us both out or have a cast member push her in line?!?! This is definitely not thought out for those with mobility issues. Oh and my Mom has some of the same bathroom issues - I got that from her.

I think they make a lot of reasonable accommodations for a lot of people. But I don't know how far it's possible for them to go for every thing that exists. Even with allergies, like you mentioned...they make reasonable accommodations. But they don't stop using every single ingredient in the parks that people are allergic to.

When you say "limits on number of DAS" are you referring to how many people will be allowed in the group with the individual who has DAS? Or limit on the amount of DAS returns a person can get per day?

Thanks for the info. I hadn't looked at it that way before.

Ha! Yeah...my son mainly just repeats various phrases so they certainly wouldn't get much out of him. I hope when he is legally an adult, I will still be able to help get him DAS (or whatever version of it exists in 8 years.)

Or in some cases, much longer than a few minutes!

I hate that DAS returns have to be lumped in with LL.

I think if enough people contact Disney and voice their concerns, we could definitely seem some changes in the way it's worded on their website. I think that's why they are putting this out there NOW but not having it go into effect for a couple months. Give them feedback. The more they hear, the more likely they are to take it to heart and possibly make some changes to accommodate more people.
I know they have an active online presence for years. So I definitely agree us talking should maybe get them to realize there is some flaws already with this system. At least i suppose it wasn’t entirely last minute so they can see the feedback.
Just what I wanted, to have every cast member and their mother know that I'm using the DAS lane because I have Autism & ADHD (as those are the only things that will now qualify). Thank goodness Disney doesn't ask for diagnoses. 🙄
Admittedly there are other diagnosis that fall under this category. I have one of them even if most people wouldn’t have heard of it. Unfortunately most people will still assume that.

Which could be a whole other issue now that I’m thinking about it

Wow, I wondered what qualified as a “developmental disability” and the first thing that popped up on google was 1 in 6 children have one. They might have opened a hornets nest even bigger than I thought when just focusing on autism.

I’m interested to see how they change their return to line situation. Glad to see updates finally coming for that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter