"Dangerous Crocs" on our news today!

PrincessTigerLily

DIS Veteran
Our local news outlet in Chicago did an "expose" on the dangers of Crocs getting caught in escalators. Of course, partway through the "report" they admitted that loose shoelace strings from sneakers and flip flops are just as dangerous. Seems like there must not have been enough real news today! How about just telling the kiddos to keep their feet in the middle of the escalator step regardless of what type of shoe they are wearing??

This was big in the news last year too. Anyone can get just about anything caught in an escalator. Sneaker laces, toes, clothing. You really need to be careful no matter what....or take an elevator!

I remember this story from last year too.

Seems to me that escalators are the problem, maybe they should make them safer! There are so many types of shoes/clothing that can get caught in them.

what exactly is the difference between crocs and any other type of shoes on an escalator? i must be missing something. i would think that shoelaces or flipflops would be more dangerous. what part of the crocs gets stuck? :confused3

my dad got his crocs stuck in the "moving sidewalk" that brings you up from pirates of the carib. we laughed at him at the time because he is always falling over things but it definitley can be a hazard if you are not aware of it.

Gotta love the local news. It's May so that means it is "sweeps" month. Get ready for more of how you can die stories and other sensational stories. You will see the news start doing stories on health codes violations in your favorite eateries, bed bugs in hotels, exploding cell phones, germs in the nail salons and other favorites.

I got my shoelace stuck in an escalator when I was about 3, and it TOTALLY FREAKED ME OUT!! I still remember it. My parents had to carry me on those things for the longest time. The one time I did get the courage up to finally get on one, it was headed down. Apparently I went on the wrong one though, (in the middle of a busy mall) because my mom went on the other one. I tried to run back up, by my panic on being on the stupid thing took over and I just rode it (sobbing) to the bottom, where I stood (sobbing) until my mom came down both levels and found me. I think I took the stairs for another 5 years.

To be perfectly honest, they still freak me out a little.

At the beginning of the school year we had a little boy have a piece of tan bark go thru the thin plastic of a croc and puncture his foot pretty badly. I thought it was an isolated incident, but our nurse said it was the 3 at our school so far that year, and we ended up banning crocs. they are too thin and are dangerous like flip flops and open toe shoes at school, but they are perfect for long days walking on flat surfaces.:)

i am FAR more worried about shoelaces and escalators than crocs and escalators. i dont know about anyone else, but the laces on my kids shoes are about times as long as they should be. double knotting still leaves either looooooong loops or loooooong tails. i understand that crocs arent all that protective, but im not going to stop buying them or letting my kids wear them. ill just use common sense and hope for the best. just like everything else.

I had a small nail go through a pair of tennis shoes and stab my foot once. I guess we should ban tennis shoes too....they're DANGEROUS! Ha ha ha....seriously though I hate these stupid "exposes" the local news does on benign little things.

I witnessed a child get his foot caught in an escalator at THE LION KING on broadway. Because crocs are so soft they just ripped and the boy suffered major damage to his foot. The excalator kept running at first and the boys toes were actually stuck under the platform. It took a long time to get him unstuck and I think he lost the tip of one of his toes.

Now that I have witnessed that, I don't think I will ever allow my children to wear crocs on escalators and I am more careful than I used to be when I wear them and get on an escalator.

When we visited the American Girl store last year, there was an employee standing by the escalators whose only job was to stop all Croc wearers and ask them to take the elevator!

My DD's preschool doesn't allow Crocs either.

Our local newspaper just had a little blurb about this last week. It didn't give any information besides saying that Crocs are dangerous on escalators. I thought it was rediculous that they didn't give a reason why they're not safe. So, it sounds like it's because they're made out of a soft material?

Yes, that's exactly what they said, that the soft rubber can get sucked into the edge of the escalator stair, same as loose shoestrings or toes and flip flops. My parents are old school and told me horror stories about feet getting stuck in escalators, so I was just too terrified to stand anywhere but in the middle of the dang thing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter