CVS refunds? Got "cash card" instead of $ (had receipt!)

This is why I no longer shop Best Buy. I want my money back, not in a gift card.

I just returned an item to BB yesterday and got a refund on the card that the item was purchased with. It wasn't even my card, it was my dh's so I didn't even have it on me, I just gave them the receipt.
Not sure why you didn't get a refund, unless of course you didn't have a receipt.

Here's the problem with this whole picture;CVS MONEY CARDS AREN'T GIFT CARDS; gift cards can be used to buy liquor, milk, and smoking cessation products,gift cards are governed by the laws of the state they're issued in (in my case California where they can be charged dormancy fees but consumers can ask for the value as cash if $10 or less),they are a promise that the merchant will sell you items from their store, while money cards restrict the type of items purchased (no sin items like milk, nicotine, or booze, stamps, etc), moneycards do not expire but they also have no consumer protections because they don't have to comply with state laws, they are STORE CREDIT which is a promise that the consumer makes saying they'll be back to spend it at that store (like they have a choice). Providing store credit to a customer who's receipt was validated and who was already known to the cashier who was a witness to the original purchase-THAT IS A TYPE OF FRAUD. She checked whether or not the items you presented before her were actually on the exact receipt you handed her right? She probably checked to see if it was still within their 60 day return period meaning she looked at the date. Then she probably looked at the method of payment before trying to diminish the value of your patronage in rushing through the return, making you feel like you and you alone were the only thing keeping the rest of the line from making purchases. Don't ever feel bad, that cashier gets paid regardless of how many transactions she screws up and guess how the company pays her? With MONEY GENERATED FROM SALES TO CUSTOMERS JUST LIKE YOU. you sign her paycheck, you keep the lights on-Without customers she wouldn't have a job. Sobdon't ever let them treat you like an inconvenience, they're a convenience store/pharmacy so if anyone needs to stay in their lane it's CVS because nothing is more inconvenient than to have to return multiple times to a store you don't shop at that often to spend money that you could've spent somewhere anywhere else without restriction had you just stated the heck away from it in the first place lol. I feel your pain op. And I know it seems pretty to you guys but the cashier had NO PROBLEMS with the Register or the Customer when they were selling her something but when it came time to adhere to policy and give it back to her, all of a sudden there's room for exceptions to be made and corners to cut. This Christmas, there were two cashiers at the mall who embezzled $7K in two weeks by doing ghost returns, that is to say, they would take actual sale receipts from transactions completed at that store and return items corresponding to those receipts and pocket the cash without knowledge consent from or the consideration of the customer (ignoring the very likely possibility that many customers would attempt to return the real items with the genuine receipt, possibly getting denied because it was already returned). When you do a non receipted return for items where proof of purchase was evident, it is possible that if she left her receipt with the cashier after completing the messed up return, that cashier could do exactly that, heck she might not even need the receipt to do it if the receipts were stored in their system. And what does CVS care, a money card can't be spent the way cash can so they don't loose anything and potentially stand to gain more should she return and buy something more than the value of her original purchase. That girl should have called for additional cashier's so she wouldn't be so pressured she forgot how to read.
Thanks so much for posting!!!

Trust me no cashier cares enough to try and mess with someone's return. Anyone that thinks so is wrong and a bit paranoid.

As a former cashier, I side with the OP. If the OP met the needed obligations to get cash back, then that's what should have been issued. Having to get the manager again would have been a pain, especially with waiting customers, but that's their job. I had to override what the computer wanted many a time to comply with our own policies. The computer isn't always right and often it defaults to asking for an override just to make sure you're really thinking through what you're doing in the transaction.

As a former cashier, I side with the OP. If the OP met the needed obligations to get cash back, then that's what should have been issued. Having to get the manager again would have been a pain, especially with waiting customers, but that's their job. I had to override what the computer wanted many a time to comply with our own policies. The computer isn't always right and often it defaults to asking for an override just to make sure you're really thinking through what you're doing in the transaction.

Not sure how long ago you cashiered but where I work the register no longer even has a cash override. The managers can't even do it. You have to call corporate and they decide. But it is not instant. It can take a few weeks

Not sure how long ago you cashiered but where I work the register no longer even has a cash override. The managers can't even do it. You have to call corporate and they decide. But it is not instant. It can take a few weeks

Then I would suggest the OP stop shopping at businesses that don't uphold their own policies without that much of a to do. If I was a cashier in that position I would be highly apologetic. All of my jobs involved customers, so I'm very familiar with having to tell people stuff they didn't want to hear and dealing with not always pleasant attitudes. The OP wasn't asking for anything outlandish and I personally appreciate knowing that if I need to return something to CVS, I might not receive a refund back in the form I paid.

The OP wasn't asking for anything outlandish and I personally appreciate knowing that if I need to return something to CVS, I might not receive a refund back in the form I paid.

This is a zombie thread from 2 years ago. I wouldn't count on any information they gave still being accurate.

This is a zombie thread from 2 years ago. I wouldn't count on any information they gave still being accurate.

I've been on this board for about 11 years and I finally accidentally replied to a zombie thread.

Then I would suggest the OP stop shopping at businesses that don't uphold their own policies without that much of a to do. If I was a cashier in that position I would be highly apologetic. All of my jobs involved customers, so I'm very familiar with having to tell people stuff they didn't want to hear and dealing with not always pleasant attitudes. The OP wasn't asking for anything outlandish and I personally appreciate knowing that if I need to return something to CVS, I might not receive a refund back in the form I paid.

And for what it is worth now CVS states you will get the amount you paid returned, but it doesn't say anything about how--if it will be cash, or in store credit. That is one great thing about everything being directed by the register (where I work). You can only do what the register will allow you to do. The register gives you options and you present them to the guest. I can't offer cash back if the register won't allow it. And there is no way for anyone in the store to offer it.

Is this maybe because of the store employees who scam the stores by creating fake transactions and returns to pocket the cash? I've never worked retail but have heard about it in the news.

Is this maybe because of the store employees who scam the stores by creating fake transactions and returns to pocket the cash? I've never worked retail but have heard about it in the news.

Doubtful. Every store I have worked at has a security camera on each register. And the register knows the ID of the person working the register for each transaction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter