Cruise Newbies

mummabear

DIS Veteran
My parents are planning to take a short cruise next summer. They are thinking 3-4 days out of Miami to the Caribbean.
What are the things the points a newbie should be looking out for when comparing cruises?
-Port Fees
-Other "random charges"
-Booking excursions and the "hierachy" for doing so
-On board gratituties

TIA

My suggestion is for them to get on www.cruisecritic.com. They have lots of information on how to cruise and an forum just for first time cruisers. Then, I would get them to a TA who can help profile what a great cruise means to them. So many of the answers to your questions would be "that depends." Should they get a balcony room? Should they buy a drink package? Should they buy ship sponsored tours? All of these and many others depend on their personal preference. They could want to get on the ship and lay in a lounge chair and watch the water go by, or they may want to go to every activity they can fit in. That is what make a cruise so fun. My personal preference is to go on cruises of at least 7 days, if possible. I feel more rushed on shorter cruises. It feels like you just get done going through the hassle of getting on board, and then you have to go through the hassle of getting off.

So first off, some research links (you may already know these):
Royal Caribbean Blog (http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/getting-started) - I believe that Matt just recently did a podcast regarding cruising for the first time as well.
Cruise Critic (http://www.cruisecritic.com/ftc/)
The DIS (http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-cruise-line/first-time.htm). It is, of course, more DCL focused but it's still good info.

I think these should answer most of your questions. Personally, I do think a 7 day cruise works best, even for a first-timer, and I would use a Travel Agent specializing in cruises to book for you - although you may still want to book the flights on your own. They want your business so it's in their best interest to make sure you have a great time. In addition, they may gift you with some onboard credit - and who doesn't like (sort of) free money?

My suggestion is for them to get on www.cruisecritic.com.

Absolutely. That's how we researched for our very first cruise back in the stone ages (2003). And it was our honeymoon, so it wasn't a low stakes vacation. :) I would start off in the "ask a cruise question" section rather than jump to the Royal boards. Things get very very specific, with lots of back story to relationships and how people talk to each other on the Royal boards, so it can be weird for a newbie.

Port fees won't be a surprise. Random charges like what? I've never been surprised by a charge on a cruiseship. Gratuities are also never a surprise. You can even pay them in advance so you don't need to worry about them. Many people like to tip above and beyond that, if they got great service, but it's not something everyone does. You can do that in cash or go to the Guest Services desk onboard to do it using your CC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter